Journal 45

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Re: Journal 45

Post by Jen-Jen »

Lucky Star wrote:What a detctive we have in David Chambers.
I agree!!! I was absolutely fascinated by his article. How exciting it must be to find uncredited Blyton's and prove that they are indeed hers. I wonder if Peter and John, Enid's students, knew that she had included them in her writing?

I also really enjoyed Anita's A Club of our Own - well done Anita!!! What a fabulous childhood you had - I envy your club greatly. Your descriptions of how you and your club members practiced being detectives were fabulous reads and makes me feel as if I should try some of those experiements and projects too!!

Robert's article was also great!! I'm longing to get my hands on a copy of Smuggler Ben.
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Jen-Jen wrote:I wonder if Peter and John, Enid's students, knew that she had included them in her writing?
I think Enid Blyton used many of her own stories, poems and plays in the classroom before they were published, and I imagine her pupils would have been proud to feature in her work.
Jen-Jen wrote:I also really enjoyed Anita's A Club of our Own...Your descriptions of how you and your club members practiced being detectives were fabulous reads and makes me feel as if I should try some of those experiements and projects too!!
If you do, I hope you have as much fun as we did! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I have just opened the envelope containing my copy, thank you.
Nice pictures on the back. The gardens at Old Thatch look beautiful.
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Great journal, as always! I haven't finished reading it yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed "Bill's Diary" (the 'midget burglar' part was hilarious), Anita's reminiscences of her childhood, and Blyton's own "Writing for children". I was rather amused by her evident surprise when she writes, "It is a strange but true fact that children all over the world like the same kind of stories." It is a pity she didn't live long enough to see this internet community. She would perhaps be even more surprised at the number of *adults* from the world over who still enjoy reading her books. :D
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

70s-child wrote:Great journal, as always! I haven't finished reading it yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed "Bill's Diary" (the 'midget burglar' part was hilarious), Anita's reminiscences of her childhood, and Blyton's own "Writing for children". I was rather amused by her evident surprise when she writes, "It is a strange but true fact that children all over the world like the same kind of stories." It is a pity she didn't live long enough to see this internet community. She would perhaps be even more surprised at the number of *adults* from the world over who still enjoy reading her books. :D

Talking of adults reading Enids books-did adults in Enids own day read her work-or are the majority of her current adult readers ones who have carried on reading her work since childhood??
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

70s-child wrote:She would perhaps be even more surprised at the number of *adults* from the world over who still enjoy reading her books.
It wasn't until I joined the Society that I realised how many adults still read children's books. 20 years ago I would have thought them a little odd. Now I'm one of them! I wonder how many authors thought when writing, that their books would be favourites with people of all ages.
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

The interesting thing for me about reading children's books as an adult is the new perspectives you gain - you notice a lot of things that you didn't as a child, with the result that you rediscover them on a whole new level, as well as experiencing that warm glow of nostalgia (assuming you read them before as a child, although there are some books by Enid and other children's authors that I have only read as an adult!).

I read Robert's article a little while ago. Enjoyed the whole thing, but was particularly struck about his comments on the way Enid used colour in her descriptions of things. It got me to thinking about how I do (or don't do) that in my own writing, and to ruminating on description as part of the writing craft in general. It is also another example of how Enid was really a more sophisticated writer than she is often given credit for (outside this forum and similar ones, that is). Great stuff! :D Another intriguing point was that Enid probably ditched her "Mary Pollock" pseudonym because she was getting divorced from Hugh Pollock and so probably felt disenchanted with the Pollock name.

I am fortunate enough to own the last two "Mary Pollock" books - The Secret of Cliff Castle and Smuggler Ben - in the form of an Armada double paperback. One of these days, I must dig that paperback out and read them again, perhaps in conjunction with Robert's articles. Might also endeavour to seek out the other four Pollock books, none of which I have, I don't believe.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've almost finished reading my journal now and as usual it's a cracking read. I love all the articles, so won't mention each one by name, but I have to say I do wish I had been a member of Anita's club. I had to grin at the thought of Anita and Linda shadowing a suspect and the poor young man who had to give them a dressing down for 'pestering' him! Pity I would have been much too old to join. :lol:

Great journal, and thanks Tony.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

My journal has now been read from cover to cover (more than once) and once again it has been absolutely top notch.

Out of curiosity, has there ever been an article/articles on the Secret Seven?

Many thanks Tony & the team. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nick wrote:Out of curiosity, has there ever been an article/articles on the Secret Seven?
Dennis Worley wrote reviews of the Secret Seven books about 3 - 4 years ago. There's always room for a fresh look at a popular book/series, though. For example, someone might decide to write an article discussing Peter's leadership style or examining whether Barbara ever actually contributed anything of note!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Somewhat belated comment from me on Journal 45. An excellent mix of articles as always. I am especially pleased to see John Lester's piece on Shadow the Sheepdog, I look forward to reading it. (I am still only halfway through the journal; it has been a fraught month). Nice too to see the G. W. Backhouse illustration on the cover, my Collins edition is a later reprint and lacks this frontispiece.

My thanks to the editor and contributors.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hi all...

Not been around for a while as you all have probably noticed, but I do pop in from time to time...

really enjoyed what I've read of the EB Journal: Anita's article on A Club Of our Own...how many children of our generation formed clubs and hoped to track thieves, LOL...I'm not sure what we'd have done if we'd actually discovered a den of thieves living nearby though...

I have also enjoyed the EB -written articles: especially 'Through a Window' article: I have often felt as if maybe the world has ended when I'm out and about and everyone seems to have disappeared: fantastic observations.

Thanks to everyone who gave such great comments about my Mary Pollock article...i've enjoyed reviewing the books, and I'd like to thank Lucky star for the inspiration, as when we chatted at an EB Day he said he'd thought of reviewing the books: apologies John, that I pinched your idea ;-) and a big thank you for your great comments throughout the series.

I'm racking my brains about what to do as a follow up...everything has been so well covered by others...I'm deep in thought at the moment, trying to find something unusual...

A great Journal, Tony: and thanks as always for all the effort you put into it...oh...and I will renew my membership shortly!! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Robert Houghton wrote:I'd like to thank Lucky star for the inspiration, as when we chatted at an EB Day he said he'd thought of reviewing the books: apologies John, that I pinched your idea ;-) and a big thank you for your great comments throughout the series.
No problem Rob. I would never have got around to it anyway and certainly anything I wrote would have paled in comparison to your articles. Its great to have you back again. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: Its great to have you [Rob] back again. :D
Indeed it is! You're back in the room, Rob! :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Welcome back, Rob! :D

I've enjoyed reading your Mary Pollock articles in the Journals. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member