Journal 44

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Re: Journal 44

Post by Viking Star »

Only read article so far - David Cook's Five Find-Outers and dog article. I had to marvel at how David sets the scene for when Enid wrote 'Banshee' by informing the reader of Enid's personal circumstances, and in the context of Enid's other longstanding series. Well done David!

I was also struck by 'The Book Page' on the back cover - the colours are amazing, and Tony's comments about the Birns Book numbering. I didn't know anything about the way Birns Books are numbered and therefore why it should be book no. 1 or no.3. But I wondered whether it might be no.5 seeing as there is a big figure 5 on the car engine? Probably not, but it was a thought.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Journal 44 is another wonderful read. In addition to all the excellent regular articles we have no less than five pieces written by Enid, a treat!

I'm sad to see David Cook's series on the FFO come to a end in this issue, it has been running for as long as I have subscibed to the Journal. David has, however, made a small error in this article; when writing of the first publication of "The Five Find-Outers...tackle the Mystery Sneak Thief" in 'June Book 1962', he says "June may be remembered as one of the group of great D C Thomson published comics that included Bunty, Dandy, Beano..." Oh no it wasn't! June was published by Fleetway who also published the School Friend and Girls' Crystal comics which are mentioned in The Enid Boyten Letters. That minor hiccup aside I have really enjoyed David Cook's review of the entire FFO series and look forward to other articles by him.

I love terry Gustafson's "Bill's Diary 1945" a very clever piece of writing and I do hope that "Tricked on the Track" is published as a society booklet.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Journal 44 has a lovely cover. And the contents inside are just as pleasing as the front cover.

As already mentioned, David Cook has written very well on the last book of the Find-Outers and as he mentions the two short stories, I think I'll give them a re-read some time soon also.

I loved Enid's From My Window - Sussex Downs. As you read you can almost hear her speaking the words. I also liked her article - The Writing of Family Stories for Children. I would have thought that Enid would have favoured writing Adventure or Mystery books, but she says that The Family stories are her favourite, and one of the harder books to write, I would have thought.

Lovely article by Anita, with the Naughtiest Girl part 4. And Robert's article on The Secret of Cliff Castle. I must also give that book a re-read, and Smuggler Ben. Both great books.

I've still got to read, Bill's Diary as yet and Mr. Stamp About. But so far as usual loved reading the Journal. Thanks Tony, and to all the contributors that make the Journal such interesting reading. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have been enjoying David Cook's excellent studies of The Five Find-Outers since Summer 2000, and am rather sad that they have now come to an end. :D

The latest Journal is packed full with goodies as usual, and I really enjoyed reading Part 4 of "The Naughtiest Girl", Anita and your "Buster - The Adorable Scottie", Julie. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Eddie Muir wrote:I have been enjoying David Cook's excellent studies of The Five Find-Outers since Summer 2000, and am rather sad that they have now come to an end. :D
I am not to sure that you meant this, Eddie, as David only started his Find-Outers Series in Spring 2007!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thank you, Eddie.

Finished reading Bill's Diary now. Very clever bit of fanfic from Terry as he entwines it with meeting the children as in the book.

As I've mentioned another great Journal, and I too love the cover of the Birns Brothers book - Tricked on the Track.

Will this book be available as a facsimile booklet, Tony?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Eddie Muir wrote:I have been enjoying David Cook's excellent studies of The Five Find-Outers since Summer 2000, and am rather sad that they have now come to an end. :D
I am not to sure that you meant this, Eddie, as David only started his Find-Outers Series in Spring 2007!
You are perfectly right of course, Tony. A senior moment on my part. :oops: I was getting confused with Robert Houghton's earlier studies!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Journal just arrived-many thanks :) can't wait to get reading--looks fantastic. :!: Auntie Fan.
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I'm looking forward to the new journal - i'm going to hover my the mail box this week in excited anticipation!
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

My copy arrived today and I am looking forward to getting into it. I’ve already had a flip through it and I will be renewing for the next year.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I havent actually read much of Journal 44 yet, despite it arriving last week, mainly due to having a rather nasty stomach/flu type bug :(

On the other hand that means I now have something to look forward to!! :D

I did read my article (sounds very egotistical, I know, but i always do this, often spotting mistakes I didnt notice before :oops: ) then I read Enid's letters regards Enid Boyton: very interesting indeed, and looked at the gorgeous colour segments: fantastically well-reproduced.

Now on to the reading of the other articles: the really pleasurable part.

I'll report back after I've done so.

Thank you, Lucky Star, for your kind words. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

My copy arrived yesterday, and I've read the first couple of articles, although I think that I shall save the rest for Friday, when I have to go down to Cumbria for the week. Anyway, I've enjoyed it so far, although it's sad to see that David Cook's FFO articles have come to an end, and I'm sure that the rest will be just as good. Thank you, Tony, for another great-looking journal! My re-subscription cheque will hopefully be winging its way down south today. :D
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Redrachel76
Favourite book/series: Find Outers/Faraway Tree/ 6 Bad Boys

Post by Redrachel76 »

I found the adult story in this delightful. The adult stories are the main reason I renew my subsciption.
I'm surprised Enid didn't write more of them than she did.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Redrachel76 wrote:I found the adult story in this delightful. The adult stories are the main reason I renew my subsciption.
I'm surprised Enid didn't write more of them than she did.
It is certainly very interesting to see this other facet of Enid's writing. I think the Journal is probably the only place in the world right now where that is possible. However I cant share your enthusiasm for the actual stories. To me they feel very, um, childish. Whereas she was in a class of her own when it came to writing childrens stories the adult stuff I've read just lacks the same spark. They feel like just padded out versions of her childrens tales. What do others think?

Having now finished Journal 44 I must thank Tony and all the conributors again. This publication really does go from strength to strength. I am at a loss to understand how we can receive such quality for the small price charged. Anyone who doesn't renew their subscription must be mad. I much enjoyed Anita's article as always and also Julie's delve into the mind of Buster. I think Looney should be next although Julie may have a nervous breakdown trying to transcribe that mad mutts thoughts. :lol:

Bill's diary and John Lester's very enjoyable article on Mr Stampabout provided much pleasure and it was great to get some of Enid's wartime letters. All in all it was yet another fantastic effort from all involved. The only problem being it will be months till the next one. :cry: Oh well, at least its summertime. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

I have already posted a message in the general section to thank everyone who contributed to this excellent number 44 issue, but just to add my comments again to this forum. Loved this issue - great to hear from Buster Trotteville (he must have even more stories to tell Julie!), and also more from Terry on Bill's Diary. Terry, you are so talented - let's have more please! Looking forward to the next instalment, and hopefully more from the rest of the series. What happened to your 12th instalment of your series over on enidblyton.net? I am also sad to see David Cook's FF series coming to an end. My only disagreement with him is that he obviously found Tally Ho Cottage a disappointment and felt it was a low period for Enid. It is actually one of my favourite FF stories - I particularly love the winter ones for their atmosphere (Hidden House, Strange Bundle, Strange Messages are some of the best for me) and I loved Ern's tree house and the development of his character. Hopefully more from David on other series? Yet to read Anita's Naughtiest Girl article. Thanks again everyone.