Journal 44

What did you think of the latest Journal?
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Re: Journal 44

Post by RDMorrell »

Moonraker wrote:May I remond everyone that the easiest and quickest way to re-subscribe (or subscribe for that matter) is to use PayPal. A few clicks, and you're all signed up for another year! Swatido!!!
Swatido too! :D And indeed, what I did do a week or so ago.

Reading through the Journal at the moment. Yesterday I read The Packman of Sicily, which seemed kind of appropriate for Good Friday! Just read Anita's article on The Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor - excellent in-depth analysis as always, and makes me want to explore this series further (I don't have any of the school stories really, I don't think). Just up to Robert's article on The Secret of Cliff Castle, which I'm very much looking forward to checking out.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

RDMorrell wrote:Just read Anita's article on The Naughtiest Girl is a Monitor - excellent in-depth analysis as always, and makes me want to explore this series further (I don't have any of the school stories really, I don't think).
Thanks, Rowan. The Naughtiest Girl series tends to be overshadowed by Malory Towers and St. Clare's but I've always been intrigued by the unique set-up at Whyteleafe and I think the first book - The Naughtiest Girl in the School - is one of the best school stories Enid Blyton ever gave us.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

RDMorrell wrote:Just up to Robert's article on The Secret of Cliff Castle, which I'm very much looking forward to checking out.
Thanks for reminding me, Rowan. I didn't read Robert's article as I hadn't read the book. I ordered it from eBay, read it, and forgot all about Rob's article! I now have that tasty morsel to savour!
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Tasty it is. I read it this morning (NZ time) and my expectations were not disappointed! :D

OT: Happy Easter to all.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

A great journal as always.
In the case of books like “Cliff Castle”, which I haven’t read, I will have to remember to come back and re-read the article if I ever get the book.

It was fascinating to see the original manuscript of that story. The Boyten letters made for some interesting reading as well.

It’s going to seem a bit strange next time without a Five Find Outers and Dog article!
MsPinkwhistle
Favourite book/series: Faraway Tree
Favourite character: Mr Pink Whistle

Post by MsPinkwhistle »

Wow a journal! Where can I get this journal?
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You can find the journal here and it's worth every single penny :D
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Fiona1986 wrote:You can find the journal here and it's worth every single penny :D
I second that. One day the Society Journals will become collectors items in their own right. They are ridiculously cheap for the incredible amount of Blyton stories, articles, old illustrations, old memorabilia etc that they contain.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Enid Blyton Adult Stories – No. 6: Vantage In (71)
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/jou ... .php?id=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Redrachel76 wrote:I found the adult story in this delightful. The adult stories are the main reason I renew my subsciption.
I'm surprised Enid didn't write more of them than she did.
I couldn't remember this adult story at all - so I am going to dig it out for a re-read..
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member