EBSJ#15, & #16

What did you think of the latest Journal?
tix

EBSJ#15, & #16

Post by tix »

Here’s where the Google Street View facility comes in handy.

In EBSJ#16, there’s a one-pager (Ringing the Bells) about a Cornish hostelry with the name “Ring o’ Bells.” The writer, Andrew Carswell, probably took the picture.

This was in 2001 so I looked up the appropriate spot in Street-View and noted the differences. The shutters are gone (in the original photo each had the imprint of a bell in the middle). There are still flowers on both lower windows but not at each side of the entrance, and the overhead lamps are still there.

I tried bringing up Finniston Farm which features in a piece by Vanessa Tobin (EBSJ#15).

The picture in the Journal, described, as a “large walled farmhouse,” is a little indistinct so I’m not sure if I got the right place but in Golden Hill, Stourton Caundle I found what could be the inspiration. It appears to be the “Trooper Inn” with a stone wall in front that looks a little different from the one in the Journal. The original picture shows more chimneys as well – in fact, the roof has changed considerably over the years.

I searched for “Ringing the Bells” in the EBSJ index but couldn’t find it in the Title section, although it’s in the Authors part.

Over a period of time it might be helpful to expand the listing because it’s such a useful reference tool and Lenoir must have worked 24 hours a day to get it completed so promptly. Cross–referencing can be a pain with such a task because it’s often so difficult to decide on exact classifications.

There are several articles in EBSJ#16 and other editions that could be tricky to classify such as “Collecting is a Funny Old Game.” (Collections, Collecting, Enid Blyton Collectibles, Memorabilia, Figurines - and so on). It may simply be that I didn’t look in the right place although it “is” in the Author listing (Swadling).

“A Detailed Look at “Old Thatch” Series, “Enid Blyton Trust For Children,” and “Easter at Southernhay” seem to be missing from both sections but they’re untitled contributions. “Five (or rather, Two) find the Puffing Billy” is in the Author section only (Tobin).

Each title is listed in the Journal Catalogue on the site but not all are credited which could make it a little difficult when preparing a comprehensive list. I think Tony wrote the uncredited articles, so there’s modesty for you.

Once again - all the contributions “may” exist in both sections, but under headings that I didn’t think of at the time.
Tony Summerfield

Re: EBSJ#15, & #16

Post by Tony Summerfield »

tiq wrote: I tried bringing up Finniston Farm which features in a piece by Vanessa Tobin (EBSJ#15).

The picture in the Journal, described, as a “large walled farmhouse,” is a little indistinct so I’m not sure if I got the right place but in Golden Hill, Stourton Caundle I found what could be the inspiration. It appears to be the “Trooper Inn” with a stone wall in front that looks a little different from the one in the Journal. The original picture shows more chimneys as well – in fact, the roof has changed considerably over the years.
I'm afraid you have got the wrong building here. Finniston Farm was based on Manor Farm in Stourton Caundle which at the time was owned by the Blyton Estate. In an earlier Journal Manor Farm was visited by Charles Brand and perhaps the photos of this are a bit better, I will try and find the originals and repost them.
tix

Post by tix »

Tony Summerfield - 04 Jan 2011 -

I'm afraid you have got the wrong building here. Finniston Farm was based on Manor Farm in Stourton Caundle ……

If I had a memory like yours I may have recalled the “Brand” article.

I couldn't, so I’ve had to wade through old magazines but as that was a very pleasant exercise, I can't complain.

First I looked at the EBSJ Index but unfortunately the subject matter wasn’t recognizable – it’s “One Has a Mystery to Solve” and recorded under Brand’s name in the Author section but not under the Subject.

Charlie’s the “One” and he solved the mystery of Manor Farm by visiting the place and, according to him, arrived on the only day of the year that it was open to the public! The Manor Farm he examined was, like the “Trooper Inn,” based centrally in the village so it would be nice to get some clarification.

I put “Manor Farm, Stourton Caundle” into the search box and it came up with “Trooper Inn,” Golden Hill - the Brand article didn’t give the address of the “Blyton” Manor Farm although he mentioned “a small church on one side and a pub opposite.” The sample photo accompanying Street View (Manor Farm, Stourton Caundle) actually portrays the building “next” to “The Trooper” – one with a blue garage door.

The picture in EBSJ#10 is a little difficult to compare with the one in EBSJ#15 because they’re taken from different angles and the Brand one looks as if it’s from the rear so it would be good to have the exact location in order to view the original farm, that is if Street View has recorded it.

Still … I’ve taken an enjoyable trip along Golden Hill with its picturesque English residences, and not a trace of snow anywhere!
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Tiq said, I’ve had to wade through old magazines but as that was a very pleasant exercise, I can't complain.

I'm always delighted when a comment in the forum takes me back to investigate an old Journal item and hours later I emerge with a warm glow from re-absorbing the whole Journal. That's why the journals are such good value, you never tire of re-visiting them.
Society Member
gjlaw

Post by gjlaw »

The British Listed Buildings website at http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source ... Vw&cad=rja" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lists a small (former) chapel at Manor Farm
and its positional information identifies the farmhouse as being the old, rambling (and rather nice) building on the other side of the main road from the Trooper Inn. Its co-ordinates are 50°55'59.56"N 2°24'27.76"W and the chapel is about 90m west at 50°55'59.04"N 2°24'33.93"W and there are Google Street View images giving a decent view through the gate.
This complex has pretty clearly been a major farmstead and is much more in keeping with Finniston Farm than any of the buildings on the main road.