Journal 43

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Journal 43

Post by Rob Houghton »

My 'Journal' arrived today: a really fat volume with plenty inside! I havent read much of it yet, but Anita's review of 'The Famous Five - A personal Anecdotage' certainly made interesting reading, despite having already followed the threads on this website. It certainly made me doubly sure I wouldnt be in a hurry to read it, though Anita was extremely fair and balanced in her review.

The EB adult short story was also an interesting read: it reminded me a little of a fairystory in structure. I also was interested to read the letter regarding the illustrations for 'Six cousins' and the rather self-important manner in which Enid discussed the illustrator and his need to 'get a move on' as it is for an EB book and therefore very important!! :lol:

I'll comment further later, but, at risk of repeating myself, thank you Tony for your efforts. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

My journal has arrived this afternoon thankfully. Our post was late due to the chaos caused yesterday with the flooding, but at least it has arrived safely. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Another fine Journal. I was particularly pleased to see no less than four contributions by Enid herself, due perhaps to a dearth of articles from other sources but it's an ill wind etc.

I shall enjoy Anita's contributions, her articles are always excellent, as is David Cook's long running series on the Five Find-Outers, but I shall probably start with Robert Houghton's article on "Mischief at St Rollo's" which was one of the first EB books I ever read. I think an early night with a cup of cocoa and the Journal is a good idea.
Many thanks to Tony and all the contributors,

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My copy hasn't arrived yet, but my appetite has been whetted by the comments so far. Let's hope mine arrives tomorrow. In a similar manner to Rob in an earlier post, I'll be swinging on the gate waiting for the postman to come like Pip and Bets. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Eddie Muir wrote:My copy hasn't arrived yet, but my appetite has been whetted by the comments so far. Let's hope mine arrives tomorrow. In a similar manner to Rob in an earlier post, I'll be swinging on the gate waiting for the postman to come like Pip and Bets. :D
Hope you don't get too wet, Eddie! :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Robert Houghton wrote:Hope you don't get too wet, Eddie! :wink:
Fortunately, the sun is shining here in Brighton today, Rob. :D

My Journal has just arrived in the post and it's a whopping 80 page edition which, judging from a quick glance at the contents page, is crammed full of goodies! I can't wait to become engrossed in it this evening with a glass of my favourite Old Jamaica ginger beer in my hand. A BIG thank you for another super issue, Tony! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Eddie Muir wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:Hope you don't get too wet, Eddie! :wink:
Fortunately, the sun is shining here in Brighton today, Rob. :D

I can't wait to become engrossed in it this evening with a glass of my favourite Old Jamaica ginger beer in my hand. A BIG thank you for another super issue, Tony! :D
sounds good: love Old Jamaica Ginger Beer :D (just popping out to get some to go with my Journal! 8) )
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Well, with a hefty wallop Journal 43 has arrived on my doormat. :D As everyone else has said it looks to be another thoroughly engrossing read, packed full of variety and colour. I love the centre page spread of illustrations from The Eleventh Holiday Book. They just dont make 'em like that anymore. I'll sit down later and give 43 the full attention it deserves.

I have also just resubscribed for the ridiculously low price of £10. All done in about 7 seconds via paypal. Everyone should sign up to The Journal, it is astoundingly good value. 8)
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I spent a few hours last night reading about half of Journal 43. As usual the standard of writing is extremely high and the articles varied and fascinating. I enjoyed Anita's review of The Famous Five; A Personal Anecdotage. Like all other reviews of this book it was a mixture of the good and bad, I think Anita did a fantastic job of presenting all of the book's many facets honestly and fairly.

Onwards to Robert Houghton's superb dissection of Mischief at St Rollos. This was a Blyton book that I missed in childhood and only read as an adult. I enjoyed it very much. Perhaps it was my adult perspective but I had to disagree with Rob's statement that he had found the title "profoundly boring and uninspiring". To me the title was a perfect summation of what was to come between the pages. Rob addressed very well The Mystery of Mary Pollock. I have always leant towards the view that Enid wrote under the pseudonym as a personal test of her abilities rather than any attempt to circumvent wartime paper regulations but, as Rob said, we'll never really know for sure.

I had to smile at the simplicity of Enid's own tale from the 1920's A Roaring Recovery. What a neat little story it was, showcasing a theme she would later use frequently in more polished form; ie the broke family whose children unexpectedly find the long lost family fortune. Tony gave a nice little account of the Dorset premier of the Famous Five DVDs and Enid's Wartime letters to Teachers World made fascinating reading for this history fan.

Special mention to Julie for the brilliant idea of giving Timmy a voice of his own. I enjoyed that one very much indeed. Not a modest dog by any stretch of the imagination but a remarkably funny one. :lol:

As always I turned first to David Cook's latest episode of his FFO exploration. I shall be very sad when that series of articles inevitably comes to an end.

I still have the rest of The Journal to read but so far it is a corker. Thanks to Tony and to all the contributors for once again producing such an excellent publication. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Congratulations on all your hard work Tony - another great read. Mrs dog was a bit peeved at the amount of time I spent on it today :D
Nice to be back in the UK now - hope to return to the forums a little
cheers
Timmy
woof,woof!!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Another great read with Journal 43. Lovely front cover, very summery. The first thing I read was John Lester and Boo-Hiss - Here Come the Villians. Great to see old Rooky has a mention and Timmy getting in a bite! Liked Enid's write-up of the hospital murals. Children's wards are full of them now. I wonder if Enid started it all off? Another great review from Anita with the Naughtiest Girl and A Personal Anecdotage. I think Anita deserves a medal just for getting through that book. I would have given up on page 1.!!

Nice to see the Auction has a mention and Tony's visit to the Rex at Wareham. The Eligible Bachelor was rather unusual but good. As was all the other articles, Robert's, David Cook, John Henstock, Angela Canning's, in fact everyone's contribution. As always a great read, and once more I renewed my subscription, which in my own opinion should be double the price! My hubby belongs to a Society, and their Journal is only half the size and he's happy to pay his subscription of £20 yearly.

Well done, Tony on giving us another cracking read. :D
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I heartily endorse all the previous remarks. A great read - I enjoyed every article. My only complaint is that like so many EB Books I reached the end far too quickly! Thank you to all the contributors, and to Tony for all his hard work in making the journal such an attractive magazine.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Reading through my article I suddenly realised I missed commenting on a rather obvious coincidence regarding Enid's use of the name 'Hugh' as the sly cheat in the story. This story was written sometime between 1940 and 1943, published 1943, and it surely can't be just a chance name, as Enid was at the time going through problems with her marriage and then her divorce from Hugh Pollock.

Maybe I'm sounding a bit like Duncan McClaren when I state such fruedian ideas, but I'm sure this character was at least named after Enid's ex husband?? :shock:

I also thought that maybe this was the reason Enid chose to publish the last few Mary Pollock books all in one batch, as she would have dis-associated herself with the name Pollock once the divorce went through in 1942...

Anyway, that's a kind of footnote to my article! :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Robert Houghton wrote:

I also thought that maybe this was the reason Enid chose to publish the last few Mary Pollock books all in one batch, as she would have dis-associated herself with the name Pollock once the divorce went through in 1942...

Anyway, that's a kind of footnote to my article! :wink:
I think that's a very plausible reason Robert. Good thinking!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I've just learned that Swiss Timmy is a step ahead of the Kirrin Timmy: He can work the keyboard for himself. :)
Or maybe it's the other way round: Timmy K. was feeling lazy and didn't want to type it all, so up he went to Julie with that look in his big brown eyes, and , well... . There you go. :D

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"