Journal 42

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Journal 42

Post by Lucky Star »

Get out and swing on those gates folks. Journal 42 is on its way. Mine just thumped onto the mat about 20 minutes ago and mighty fine it looks too. :D I have to go to work now but the day will be infinitely more bearable knowing that I'll be reading it when I get home. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Wow! What a bumper issue. I don't know where to start. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Got my copy this morning - it's fab. Great reading for a bleak rainy morning. Anita's report of the EB Day brought back a lot of fond memories, and Bill's journal was an interesting read, too. :D

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS: Maybe Julie had the big gates taken down, just to make sure that no more kids get trapped within them.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My copy has just arrived in the post and I must say it looks very impressive - 84 pages! :D I look forward to curling up with it later today. Thank you, Tony.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:I'll be 'swinging on the gate waiting for the postman to come by' like Pip and Bets! :lol:
I've not got a gate. Will mine still come. :)

8)
Don't worry Julie, I wasn't swinging on my gate and my copy arrived safely this morning. :D
Society Member
DarkQueenDiana
Favourite book/series: The Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Fatty, Claudine

Post by DarkQueenDiana »

Got mine this mornig, thanks Tony :D !
It opened up on page 44, Bill`s Diary - sounds really interesting 8) I´m looking forward to reading it and all the other stuff in bed this evening before I go to sleep and start dreaming about having an adventure like Jack, Dinah, Lucy-Ann, Philip and Kiki of course :wink:
What do you see when you look in the mirror? Stop. Don`t turn away. Stay a while. Let`s look closer. No. You are not allowed to find the faults first, not in my game. We will find the beauty first. (Tori Amos)
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Feet up, coffee in hand, cat on lap and journal being read. Top stuff!
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Just had a quick scan through the Journal: brilliant reading as always. One of the most original and interesting, in my opinion, is Terry Gustafson's 'Bill's Diary' - what an original slant on a familier story: a brilliantly written 'article' if it can be called that, and one of the most unique entries I've ever seen in The Journal. Wish I'd have thought of something similar! 8)

I was also interested to read Enid's view on gardens and the people that own them: quite a bit of truth in her words I reckon! :D

The book review also looks interesting, and of course the EB Day review: a brilliant bit of 'rubbing our noses in it' for those of us unlucky enough to not be there!! :lol:

The other articles and reviews will be read in due course. Well done to everyone who contributed: it's a real bumper issue. And special thanks to Tony. Without him there just wouldnt be any Journal. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Journal looks great! A pity the same can't be said for my gate, which is now hanging at a decidedly odd angle! :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

What a treat Journal 42 is. I have yet to sample all its delights but I have read David Cook's article on the FFO short story "Just a spot of bother". I agree it is one of the best short stories from a major series and I also think that the unattributed illustrations for this are by D C Eyles; I remember well his style from the comics and annuals of my childhood. (He always seemed to do pony stories, his horse pictures were always good).

I was also very interested to read John Lester's review of Owen Dudley Edwards book "British Children's Fiction in the Second World War". I have been aware of this book since its publication and wanted to read it, but the only library copies I could find in the country were in the British Library, National Library of Scotland and various university libraries and it was unlikely any of those would be willing to send their copies on inter-library loan, but John's article has inspired me to track down a paperback copy.

I have only skimmed through the rest so far and look forward to a leisurely read with a cool drink at hand this weekend. I shall save the rare, uncollected short story by Enid until last, that will round it off nicely.

Many thanks to all the authors of the articles and especially the editor. Well done, all.

Kate.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Kate Mary wrote: I was also very interested to read John Lester's review of Owen Dudley Edwards book "British Children's Fiction in the Second World War". I have been aware of this book since its publication and wanted to read it, but the only library copies I could find in the country were in the British Library, National Library of Scotland and various university libraries and it was unlikely any of those would be willing to send their copies on inter-library loan, but John's article has inspired me to track down a paperback copy.
Kate.
I had actually provided a link to several chapters from this book sometime last year:
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =17&t=2936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is an excellent book, and I look forward to reading this review.

Tony, I have to renew my subscription, and will do so soon. Sorry about the delay.
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Tony Summerfield wrote:A few to go still, we have never had a subscriber in South America and we seem to have been frozen out of the Arctic and Antarctic regions! :lol:
1 Sweden, 3 Canada - are any of those Arctic? Or even one of the USA, if Alaska's on the list?
DSR
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Received my journal okay, despite I haven't got any gates to swing on. So you were right, Katharine, it did arrive :lol:

I'll enjoy reading it now over the next few days.
Dick Kirrin wrote:
PS: Maybe Julie had the big gates taken down, just to make sure that no more kids get trapped within them.
I'm afraid Owls dene has no gates because Perton and Rooky sold them for scrap metal, as they were old, rusty and didn't close anymore, even the wheel that turned them was sold back to an old ship :cry: :P

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

What a feast of delights the latest Journal is! Bill's Diary is a brilliant new 'take' on a well loved and familiar story. Each article has something to commend it and I have thoroughly enjoyed every one. Thank you to all the contributors and above all thanks to Tony for putting together another bumper issue, not only in size but in content.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Again, its another thumping read. You keep coming up with the goods, Tony!
Well done!