Journal 40

What did you think of the latest Journal?
DarkQueenDiana
Favourite book/series: The Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Fatty, Claudine

Re: Journal 40

Post by DarkQueenDiana »

My copy arrived yesterday. I`ve only read the story about that not so very british sounding boy Adolphe - what a story*smile*!

Well, Fiona, seems to be a long long way to Scotland :lol: , but scottish people are kind of special, it`s in the blood I was told once by a guy from Scotland :wink: . Sorry for teasing you, but I just felt I must do it :lol:

Think, I will now read about Enid`s aunt Jerusha :)
What do you see when you look in the mirror? Stop. Don`t turn away. Stay a while. Let`s look closer. No. You are not allowed to find the faults first, not in my game. We will find the beauty first. (Tori Amos)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Having run out of superlatives, I'll just say another smashing edition! David Cook's articles are always a great read - it is very interesting to compare them with Margaret Walker's excellent Find-Outers' articles in old editions of Green Hedges Magazine. It was also fascinating to see the illustrations in Anita's article - particularly the one of Edgar Stick! Thanks for your comments on my offering, it did occur to me when reading posts on the Enid Blyton Day, that the majority of members wouldn't know about the problems concerning a 2010 event. It might encourage some to take a look! Good to see our Headmaster writing again! :D
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

The pterodactyl has now reached New Zealand. :D I too really like the cover picture - very fitting for not only the season, but also Noddy's 60th! So far I've just read Nigel's article and some of the short story by Enid, but I'm looking forward to reading it properly soon.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The bronto has reached Scotland finally and I have my journal!! Read the first half, and going to leave the second half for later - give me something to look forward to.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Scotland and New Zealand on the same day! I suppose this simply proves that a pterodactyl is faster than a brontosaurus! :lol:
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

:)
... And also faster than normal airmail, as it looks like it took only 6 days to get here.
I have just read the editorial so far and also had a quick glance through it.
Will be starting it later.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It was great to read, in Journal 40, that it's possible that the Children's Film Foundation Famous Five films (Five Have a Mystery to Solve and Five on a Treasure Island) will be released on DVD. Watching Five Have a Mystery to Solve at the BFI in August was marvellous. I'd love to watch it again on DVD and, of course, it means that many more people will have the chance to see it. I agree with Charles Brand that, in this case, the film is more entertaining than the book!

'The Boy Who Changed His Name' is an unusual wartime story which is unlikely to be reprinted in a modern children's book! I also enjoyed reading 'Aunt Jerusha's Earwig.' I wonder whether Aunt Jerusha was entirely fictional or whether she was based on a real relative of Enid's? If based on a real person, perhaps Enid had 'Aunt Jerusha' in mind when she wrote about Mister Meddle's Aunt Jemima!

I found Enid Blyton's 'The Golden Key' very interesting indeed. People have often commented that Blyton uses simple vocabulary and plenty of dialogue and that her stories are action-packed and fast-moving. It's fascinating to see how acutely aware she was that she was competing with radio, TV and cinema, and how that affected her writing style.

Hanly's notes made interesting reading. It's nice to have the name of a place – Hayes Common – to which Hanly and Enid used to cycle to watch the sunset.

Nigel's article will hopefully encourage more Society members to visit the website, as there is a wealth of information here and it would be good to have as many people as possible involved with what goes on on the site.

I was pleased to see John Lester taking a look at the Rubbalong tales, which rarely get a mention. What wonderful names Enid Blyton comes up with in these stories – Mr. Rumbustious, Mrs. Well-I-Never, Mr. Snooper, Dame Dandy, the Jingy-Bang, Mrs. Shifty, etc. John mentions that Rubbalong's debut in the Evening Standard in 1949 was accompanied by an article, 'The Secret of Enid Blyton' by Evelyn Irons. It would be interesting to know what Evelyn wrote.

Tony's detailed Noddy article reminds us just how hard Beek worked in the early days of Noddy and of the importance of artists like Peter Wienk, who don't always get the recognition they deserve. I don't think Wienk's passport photo would be accepted these days, as it shows him looking to the side and wearing glasses which obscure part of his face. Amusing to see the letters from the BBC dismissing Blyton's stories as "such very small beer"! I look forward to reading the rest of the letters in the BBC Archives when I have the time.

Thanks, Tony, for another enjoyable Journal!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the Journal, Anita, but that passport photo is of Beek not Wienk. To the best of my knowledge it is the only photo that there is of Beek.

As you obviously don't mention it I should add that your article was both interesting and informative and helps to add to the overall picture of Blyton material that has been produced over the years.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I have yet to read my copy of the Journal due to my current shift pattern. I prefer to read it in one go, preferably with a glass real ale to hand, flame effect gas fire flickering gently and telephone off the hook! :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tony Summerfield wrote:I'm delighted that you enjoyed the Journal, Anita, but that passport photo is of Beek not Wienk. To the best of my knowledge it is the only photo that there is of Beek.
Sorry, I meant to say Beek, of course!

Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

The Journal arrived already on Thursday, thank you very much, Tony! Wow, it looks great but unfortunately I can't read it until next week because I've got my final exams coming up this week and I have to study a lot :(
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I have finally got around to fully reading my copy of Journal 40. Naturally, I was drawn to Norman Wright's article Five Have a Mystery To Solve, Film Serial Reassessed. How I wish I had seen the screening of this at the N.F.T, as it looks like an interesting adaptation and probably less stilted than the 1957 C.F.F Five On a Treasure Island. It is very good news indeed that both serials are proposed for a DVD release, I just hope that sufficient numbers purchase a copy in order make the exercise worthwhile. I for one would be quite willing to pay up front.

As always with the Journal it is difficult to single out any one particular article for special mention, such is the consistancy of each issue. Hanly Blyton's letter in The Barbara Stoney Archives No1 was a revelation and I hope to see further such material in future editions. I did however have some difficulty in reading Hanly's handwriting which was almost as bad as mine! This is not a complaint I hasten to add, just an observation as it is important that original letters and documents are presented as they are and not turned into cold text.

A wonderful feature of the Journal is that we are introduced to short stories that many of us would otherwise miss out on altogether. The Boy Who Changed His Name is a typical example and a rare occasion where Enid Blyton makes reference to world events. Certainly, any person with a German sounding name would have had a hard time during the war years and even ownership of a Dachshund for example would have invited derison. Enid homed in on this fact but went to great pains to point out that people could not be judged by their names alone. Nevertheless, Adolph became Nelson probably for the duration of the war and maybe for a good few years after the hostilities ended! :lol: :wink:

Enid Blyton's Adventure Magazine was a publication that I had never heard of prior to reading Anita's article. Perhaps the idea of Enid Blyton's stories being portrayed in picture strip form could have been pursued and therefore encourage new readers to eventually read the original books. Who knows what could have been, Enid Blyton graphic novels perhaps? (Now there's an idea for Chorion!) One only has to visit a bookshop to see the popularity of this format, mostly science fiction aimed at adults. I for one prefer text though.

Thank you Tony for yet another superb issue of the Journal, the quality never falters. :D
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

At long last, I finally have my hands on Journals 39 and 40. Good thing my uncle decided it was time for a holiday! I would have started reading it right away if it wasn't for being one in the morning - the only reason I found them today was because I suddenly woke up at 11 and found a pile of envelopes on my table and decided to investigate! :D

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Enjoy reading them, Ming! :D

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

I didn't think got number 40, but turns out I did :)

I just had a reread and I enjoyed the story of Adolph, even if the ending was unsatisfying. On one hand, we hae the lesson of a name doesn't really matter, yet the children rename him Nelson. If a name doesn't REALLY matter, why change his name? I know this is a story designed to bring out British pride during the war, but it still is a bit unsettling.

But all in all, another good journal and I am off to resubscribe!