Journal 39

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Journal 39

Post by Kate Mary »

Somewhat belated comments on the latest Journal. I returned from my hols yesterday and found Journal 39 lying on my door-mat. I concur with the opinions expressed above, it is a cracking edition. I particularly enjoyed the article on "The Children of Kidillin", one of the first Blyton adventure stories I ever read and Anita's article on Mr Pink-Whistle, but for me as a Kentishwoman, the cherry on the top was Enid's "From My Window". Many thanks to the editor.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Have just begun John Lester's "Five on Kirrin Island Again"--felt I was back at Christmas no the floor in front of the coal fire ..(pollution, Global warming, what were they?!).
Imogen's tribute to Barbara Stoney was very moving, but like lucky Star I had to re read the bit about Gillian and the copyright.
I also found it strange that Imogen first met Barbara "shortly after Gillian had agreed she should write the biography of our mother". It sounds very much a fait accompli, or am I reading to much into that?
Anyway, the journal just gets better every issue--very many thanks for all the enjoyment and congratulations to Tony and the contributors. :)
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

I do not know what the journal wrote about Barbara Stoney’s book since I do not personally
receive it. Nonetheless, at first, I found it odd that Barbara Stoney would not own the copyright
to a book she had labored to write. Believe me, writing on Enid Blyton is not that easy. Thus, that
explains why relatively few books have been written on or about her. However, I strongly believe
that Gillian Baverstock’s holding onto the copyright would ensure that the book belonged to the
family, although in hindsight, that would have been unnecessary, at least in the contemporary era.
In addition, Stoney was a hired hand in writing the biography and thus, Gillian may have thought
she was undeserving of holding the copyright to a book relating to her mother.
I do not find it particularly strange that Imogen first met Barbara shortly after Gillian had agreed
to her writing the biography after all it was Gillian that was pulling the strings and everyone that
wanted to write or know about Enid Blyton at that time had to go through her.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As Gillian Baverstock explains in her foreword to Barbara Stoney's book, before her death Enid Blyton had asked Gillian to write her biography at some time in the future but, much as she'd have liked to carry out her mother's wish, Gillian was unable to do so as she was busy with her four young children. In deciding to pass on the writing of the biography to someone else, perhaps she felt she ought to retain some control over what was written as her mother had originally entrusted the task to her? However, as Gillian came to know Barbara as a friend over the years it would have been a nice gesture if she had at some point relinquished the copyright to her. Although Imogen Smallwood did talk to Barbara Stoney about Enid Blyton when Barbara was writing the book, I believe she was less involved with the project than Gillian (although she and Barbara became close friends) and it wasn't until the publication of A Childhood at Green Hedges in 1989 that Imogen really felt able to speak/write about life with her mother in detail. I wonder whether it was the fact that she knew Gillian held the reins that made her wary of getting more involved with the biography?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

Thank you fer your helpful thoughts and comments. If you do not take the Journal :? I would just like to say that it is a real gem and terrific read--jam packed with articles and items and priceless information to any with an interest in Enid Blyton. :)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aunt Fanny wrote:Thank you for your helpful thoughts and comments. If you do not take the Journal :? I would just like to say that it is a real gem and terrific read--jam packed with articles and items and priceless information to any with an interest in Enid Blyton. :)
It is a source of confused amazement to me, that anyone should decide not to subscribe to the Journal... :?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Quite simply, if you love Enid Blyton, you'll love the Journal! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I was receiving the journal before I joined this website although I lurked around it quite a long time!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Daisy wrote:I was receiving the journal before I joined this website although I lurked around it quite a long time!
It was the other way round for me. I am very glad that I subscribed to The Journal, it really is a quite unique and wonderful publication.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It was indeed a very fortunate day that I discovered this website. It has led me to Society membership, and through its forums, I have made many friends. There are half a dozen or so here that have become very special friends. I think one great result to me, is having friends now from all over the world - something I didn't have before discovering the society. People from different races, cultures, religions and beliefs - all united through our love of the world's greatest children's authoress.

Would Enid, in her wildest imagination, ever have thought she would have been responsible for this?
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very well put, Nigel. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I discovered this society many years ago while flicking through teletext on one of the old cable tv channels. (i think it was the forerunner of UK GOLD).

I immediately joined, of course, and was informed by Tony that i was the only to join by that route. (up till then anyway).

It was a while later that i discovered this site, and i'm delighted that i did.

Wayne.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:It was indeed a very fortunate day that I discovered this website. It has led me to Society membership, and through its forums, I have made many friends. There are half a dozen or so here that have become very special friends. I think one great result to me, is having friends now from all over the world - something I didn't have before discovering the society. People from different races, cultures, religions and beliefs - all united through our love of the world's greatest children's authoress.

Would Enid, in her wildest imagination, ever have thought she would have been responsible for this?

I feel the same way, and it's even more wonderful that an author who seems to be widely accused :shock: of being racist, classist, elitist, and whatever-else-ist, is the author who is responsible for the forging such strong friendships between all those various races and creeds! Well done Enid and the EB society website! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
DarkQueenDiana
Favourite book/series: The Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Fatty, Claudine

Post by DarkQueenDiana »

The 39 is my first journal, I received it yesterday what was really quick :D !

Now I feel like a proper member :lol:

I think I´m going to have a jolly good read in the warm sunshine now 8)
What do you see when you look in the mirror? Stop. Don`t turn away. Stay a while. Let`s look closer. No. You are not allowed to find the faults first, not in my game. We will find the beauty first. (Tori Amos)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Rather than waiting until I've read the whole Journal - which seems to be a bumper edition, I thought I'd comment on bits as I go along.

I had mixed feelings when I read the editorial - Tony's decision to raise the price of the Journal, and the difficulties in arranging the Society Days were subjects that were being discussed at length when I first discovered the Enid Blyton Society, so it was nice to feel I've reached a stage where I knew what was going on, but sad because I now know that the last of the Society Days were in sight, and that I believe a number of subscribers weren't happy with the price increase. Thankfully I've been able to absorb any increases in the price, and think it's excellent value for money - my renewal cheque will be winging it's way to Tony as soon as I'm free of Covid. :)

The first article by David Chambers was extremely interesting - I'm always impressed by the amount of research he must do for all his articles. As much as I love Enid's stories - both long and short, I wish more was available of her teaching work too. Many people would love to own a first edition of one of her major titles - if I could have a wish, it would be to own an entire set of all her Teacher's World publications. Yes, I know there is a lot in The Cave, for which I'm very grateful, but nothing quite beats holding a the real thing, and being able to turn a page rather than just wriggle a mouse. ;)

It was interesting to read that some of Enid's articles were reprinted elsewhere, and others reworked at other times, but sad to see that many never reappeared. I'd especially love to see Enid's own illustrations from the early works. I thought the list of historical figures Enid wrote about was very interesting - I haven't heard of several of them. I'd especially love to read the one about William Caxton - I wonder who modern children learn about nowadays?

The 'talk' that David chose of Enid's to close with was fascinating - Enid's thoughts on how different the world would be in 100 years time (ie 2025), due to the way news and events were being filmed. I don't think even her vivid imagination could have predicted cameras (in colour) in people's phones being able to transmit images almost anywhere in the world within seconds of being recorded! I must go and Google the cinema reel Enid was referring to - although after 14 years, I don't know if it will still be available on-line.
Society Member