Journal 38

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Tony Summerfield

Re: Journal 38

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Robert Houghton wrote:I must admit (no offense to Viv: her article was very interesting! 8) ) that I really missed Tony's editorial, as it sort of starts off the Journal so welcomingly. It didnt seem the same without it
Kind words Rob, but unfortunately when Viv asked for space I had finished everything except for the Editorial, so that was the only space that I could offer. It is perhaps unfortunate that I was unable to plug the Enid Blyton Day as the vast majority of potential ticket buyers never visit these forums at all. Just to emphasize the point, I can tell you that only seven regular forum users have actually bought tickets. I know that others will probably do so, as you have already said, Rob, you haven't bought tickets yourself yet and nor for that matter has Viv!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: It is perhaps unfortunate that I was unable to plug the Enid Blyton Day as the vast majority of potential ticket buyers never visit these forums at all...
In that case, I am rather surprised that the Society Day 'plug' was ommitted. Surely that is 'high priority'? I say this without wishing to appear to take anything away from Viv, but I would have thought Society matters should take precedence over everything else. Mind you, it's quite probable that I am missing the point...! :shock:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Would it be prohibitively costly to send out a small flyer to those society members who have not yet bought tickets? Particularly now that the programme of events is known?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Did you not see the flyer that was tucked into your Journal! :lol: I know you have now bought a ticket, but at the time I sent out the Journals I don't think you had, so you should have received a flyer, as did everyone else who has not yet bought a ticket.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Did you not see the flyer that was tucked into your Journal! :lol: I know you have now bought a ticket, but at the time I sent out the Journals I don't think you had, so you should have received a flyer, as did everyone else who has not yet bought a ticket.
Sorry, Tony; I should have had more faith in you. When will I ever learn to trust you implicitly? :oops:
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

D'oh. :oops: Yes it is still sitting on a sideboard after I removed it to better enjoy the journal itself.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Dear Tony,

Thank you very much for the journal.I received the journal this morning together with packets bought from Ebay.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Post by Oscar Spain »

Just a word: Wooooonderful Journal!
Thank you very much, I´ve received last friday and I´m delighted!
What a good work, Tony.
By the way... What is these about a flyer? I can´t see it in my journal...
Best wishes!
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

If you have already bought your ticket for the EB Day, Oscar, then there will be no flyer in your journal envelope. I think the flyers were to remind people who have not as yet, bought a ticket :)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

I don't seem to have had one. Do I owe you some money, Tony :oops: :oops: :oops:
woof,woof!!
Oscar Spain
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Julian (F.F.)

Post by Oscar Spain »

Thank you Julie!! I´m sure that´s the reason!
Thank you again! :)
Oscar P.
Film director / Writer / Medical Student
http://www.delcinealhospital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony Summerfield

Timmy-the-dog wrote:I don't seem to have had one. Do I owe you some money, Tony :oops: :oops: :oops:
Timmy Dog you noticed! You are quite right I haven't sent you Journal 38, but you didn't get 36 or 37 either! Your subscription ran out a year ago with Journal 35, there was a reminder form in it. I sent you an email as a further reminder in June, but got no reply so I sent you another one in case the first one had gone astray. No reply again, so I sent a third email to a different email address, but you must have been off chasing rabbits. I tried hard as there was a new Birns discovery on the back of 36 which I thought might interest you, but sadly I failed to make contact. :cry: :cry:
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I have a query about re-paying, as I know the subscriptions have run out now. Do we get a reminder slip in this journal, or are we supposed to have paid before we get it? It's just that I haven't received my journal yet, and was wondering whether that was a fault with Royal Mail, or whether the fault lies with my not paying my fee. :?
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

You will get a reminder slip in the last (third) journal of your current subscription Laura and must then resubscribe in order to receive the next one.

I've now read Journal 38 and what a wonderful edition it was. As usual Robert Houghton wrote an excellent article and I shall be looking out for a copy of Holiday House at Twyford as he has really whet my appetite for this book which I have somehow never read. An excellent introductio to good old Mr Pink-Whistle from Anita and I really enjoyed John Henstock's article on Children, Crime and Caves. I broadly agree with his findings although I do remember, as a child, setting out one day to shadow some poor complete stranger after reading one of my Find-Outers books. So some aspects of Enid's writings were indeed put into practice.

David Cook continued his brilliant FFO series and began by examining the discrepancy in continuity that Vanished Prince poses. He speculates that Two mysteries may have taken place in the same holidays. I suppose that is the most feasible explanation but that must indeed have been a long summer holiday to fit the timeframe he suggests. Also, and this would be more a quirk of the illustrator rather than the author, in the illustration depicting Ern and Sid talking to Mr Goon the calender behind Goon's head clearly says "Sept". Surely the schools would have restarted by September? Anyway I think the plot of this particular book depended heavily on it being summer. From the camping aspect (impossible in December), to the childrens suntans which allowed them to pose as Princess Bongawee and her attendents, the whole thing just would'nt have worked in the snow. Perhaps Enid just conceived the idead and decided it was too good an idea to wait and so she, either unwittingly or uncaringly, interrupted the pattern.

Well done again Tony for producing such a splendid publication. BTW has anyone identified ALL of the charcters in the Famous Five quiz? I'm struggling with a few, namely C, E, G, J and K.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've now read anita's article on Mr P.W - excellent as always, and I quite agree with the 'cosiness' of these stories: that is what always attracted me I think, and I still feel the same when i read them now. I get a similar feeling when reading 'Mr Twiddle', 'The three Golliwogs' and 'Binkle and Flip' in that they are all set in such a different more laid-back time than todays frantic lifestyle!

I agree with Lucky Star that reading Enid's books certainly did encourage me and my friends to emulate certain aspects, particularly watching for 'suspicious' characters on the strip of wasteland at the back of our house, which edged the canal. We often hid in bushes watching 'mysterious goings on' (probably not really mysterious at all!) and I often went into caves on holiday (with my Dad usually :D ) hoping to find a secret passage! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member