Journal 37

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Journal 37

Post by Rob Houghton »

Looking in the Society shop I see that Journal 37 is up there with it's contents. I know it is still at the printers and it will be a little time yet before we find it landing on our doormats, but the contents have certainly whetted my appetite, particularly the adult short story by Enid and the articles actually written by Enid. Also looking forward to reading Anita's 'Troublesome Three' article: a book I have always rather liked.

The cover picture is one of my favourites too! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Journal 37

Post by Moonraker »

It looks amazing - I can't wait! There's even an article by Tony to look forward to!
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

That certainly looks like an amazing Journal. :D

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I cant wait. It seems like ages since we had the last one. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The journal's front cover looks very Festive. It's always a pleasure to receive and read the journal. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

My apologies that I haven't yet sent Journal 37 out. I managed to get 200 into envelopes by Tuesday morning and I had intended to finish off another 250 and take them to the Post Office on Wednesday. But the 200 got the better of me and my right shoulder seized up and I have been unable to use my right arm for the past three days. It is still painful, but I can just about type again though I am unable to lift it, but I have now managed to get all Journals ready to post and providing I can lift them into my car I will take them to the Post Office on Monday. Humble apologies. :cry:
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Tony Summerfield wrote:My apologies that I haven't yet sent Journal 37 out. I managed to get 200 into envelopes by Tuesday morning and I had intended to finish off another 250 and take them to the Post Office on Wednesday. But the 200 got the better of me and my right shoulder seized up and I have been unable to use my right arm for the past three days. It is still painful, but I can just about type again though I am unable to lift it, but I have now managed to get all Journals ready to post and providing I can lift them into my car I will take them to the Post Office on Monday. Humble apologies. :cry:
Sorry to hear about your arm, Tony. Get better soon! By the way, I'm interested by the figure - 200 Journals!? :!: And more 250?! How many members are there? And how can you print such a lot, Tony? The printing machines? Are they like books' printing machines, meaning that they can print many at a time?
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Tony Summerfield

Yes, a nice simple bit of maths there, Philip, 450 going out! Fortunately I only have to print one master copy and the rest are done digitally by professional printers and yes, is the answer to your other question, it is very similar to producing a book.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Sorry to hear about your arm, Tony, but the Journal sounds promising! :)

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That really shows your dedication, Tony, if anyone ever doubted it: 450 Journals all enveloped and stamped, and suffering a painful shoulder just so we can get our Journals and have a good read! Well done, and thanks for all you do. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Robert Houghton wrote:450 Journals all enveloped and stamped.
Not stamped I'm afraid, Rob, which is why they have to go to the Post Office, they very generously do that for me. Perhaps I should add that I do of course have to pay for the postage, the best part of £400!!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Looking forward to the journal and I hope your shoulder gets better Tony.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I do hope your shoulder gets better soon Tony. Do not strain yourself unnecessarily, if need be we can wait another couple of days rather than having you do permanent injury. I am looking forward to the journal though. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Not only does Tony put the Journals into the envelopes, but also has to insert other items, for example, subscription renewals; so if your Journal has one of these inside it, renew immediately, otherwise his efforts will have been in vain!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Hope you'll take the week-end to rest up your arm Tony. As L.S. says, we can all wait a few more days until you're feeling better. As least I'll be back from the Peak District when it arrives. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member