Journal One

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Journal One

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've just bought from a Society member journals 1 - 10. I've just finished reading journal one, dated 1996.

An interview between David Lane, managing director of Enid Blyton Ltd, and Norman Wright, was very interesting, especially one point which Norman asks, "So we are not going to see any large scale new stories by ghost writers as happened in France and Germany, in the 1960's.

David Lane replies, "No, I was shocked that the previous company permitted that to go on.........there's no reason to do that because with a situation where only around half of Blyton's works are in print there's plenty to go at without having to resort to that sort of thing."

But don't we now see other authors using the Blyton characters and her books to publish new stories. As in the St Clares by Pamela Cox. Does this mean they have gone back on their word?
Can anyone add light to this.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Re: Journal One

Post by Viking Star »

David Lane is no longer the Managing Director. But I'm afraid that given 12 years has past, I don't find it surprising at all. Political parties are possibly the worst for changing their minds.

So disappointing, if not surprising. :roll:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

David Lane was very much in favour of updates, wasn't he?

I'm interested in the following excerpt from the interview:
Enid Blyton herself, and this is something that nobody seems to realise, Enid Blyton herself actually wrote the golliwogs out of Noddy before she died; or at least started to do so. I have a manuscript in my possession that shows, in her own handwriting, she had started to do that.
Is that manuscript still in existence, I wonder?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, Anita it does seem that Enid was keen to update. I thought that when I read that piece. What really intrigued me was the fact that they intended to publish only Enid's work, as there was plenty to go on, according to them. And yet here now we have different authors using Enid's characters.

8)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:David Lane was very much in favour of updates, wasn't he?

I'm interested in the following excerpt from the interview:
Enid Blyton herself, and this is something that nobody seems to realise, Enid Blyton herself actually wrote the golliwogs out of Noddy before she died; or at least started to do so. I have a manuscript in my possession that shows, in her own handwriting, she had started to do that.
Is that manuscript still in existence, I wonder?

Anita
I am not sure that I believe this statement. One of the last books that Enid wrote in 1963 was Noddy and the Aeroplane and this has still firmly got Golliwogs in it. By 1964 she was not really capable of writing much, though she did manage a Mary Mouse strip book. If she was so intent on getting rid of the Golliwogs, surely she wouldn't have still been featuring them in the books.

It seems paradoxical to me to condemn any thoughts of continuation novels, whilst at the same time instructing publishers to drastically alter and modernise Enid's original texts.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Considering that golliwogs as toys were still very much in vogue when I was growing up in the 1970's, and that I had a couple myself, and that Noddy still featured golliwogs in all the books I owned as a child, and that 'The Three Golliwogs' was still being printed by Dean in 1990 (as 'The Three Gollies') I'd say it would have been pretty amazing (not to mention far-fetched) to imagine that Enid herself was writing golliwogs out of her stories as early as 1964. :shock: Everyone else found gollies pretty acceptable until long after this date (they are still for sale in shops today!) so why would Enid have suddenly decided to take them out of her stories? A bit unbelievable, I think. :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Yes, Anita it does seem that Enid was keen to update.
I meant David Lane seemed keen on updates - not Enid!

Like Tony and Robert, I'm suspicious of David's statement that Enid Blyton had started writing golliwogs out of her stories in the 1960s when, as Robert said, golliwogs were viewed as perfectly acceptable not only at that time but for years to come. David Lane didn't name the manuscript and obviously didn't provide a photocopy! Did no Blyton fans ask to see it?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Like Tony and Robert, I'm suspicious of David's statement that Enid Blyton had started writing golliwogs out of her stories in the 1960s when, as Robert said, golliwogs were viewed as perfectly acceptable not only at that time but for years to come. David Lane didn't name the manuscript and obviously didn't provide a photocopy! Did no Blyton fans ask to see it?

Anita
I haven't read the article myself, but so far it looks like we can't believe a word David Lane said! :roll:
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

I too was a bit skeptical about David Lane's statement. Since he was managing editor, he may have made this statement for purely business/economic reasons, after all, who (or at least some) nowadays wouldn't want to believe that Enid Blyton was on the verge of becoming "politicall correct" by obliterating the Golliwogs from her books?
Stephen I.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Enikyoga wrote:I too was a bit skeptical about David Lane's statement. Since he was managing editor, he may have made this statement for purely business/economic reasons, after all, who (or at least some) nowadays wouldn't want to believe that Enid Blyton was on the verge of becoming "politicall correct" by obliterating the Golliwogs from her books?
Stephen I.
Quite right Stephen,I agree....

May I also just add that I think you have conducted yourself with real dignity and aplomb in the face of some of the comments that have been made concerning your book 'The Famous Five A Personal Anecdotage'....

Whatever anyone may think about any book or work produced by yourself (or indeed any other author for that matter) I think you have set a very good example on this forum (and Keiths) for showing real strength of character in being calm,mild,friendly and not trying to do what sadly many of us(myself included) fail miserably ,ie,'trying to get even',or 'get our own back',or even 'get our retaliation in first'!

Its seems reasonable to assume you are well versed in the scripures reading some of the reviews of your book,and a scripture that comes to mind when I observe your good natured dealings with fellow forum members is Proverbs 16:32......

Good luck to you Stephen.I'm sure you worked very hard to produce your book,and after all it is YOUR BOOK!,it is YOUR PERSONAL anecdotage.
I hope your book does succeed and genuinely wish you all the best.
You are a good example for all of us here.

Best Wishes

Pete :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Well said, Pete! Or is that another of your jokes :?:
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

No,that post was no joke.I really do think Stephen has handled himself as a true gent in the face of lots and lots of 'constructive' advice etc....Moonraker,you stride these forums like a colossus, and always champion fair play,theref ore im sure you will join with me in wishing Stephen 'all the best',and good luck with his publishing endeavours...Regards Pete.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

pete9012S wrote:I really do think Stephen has handled himself as a true gent in the face of lots and lots of 'constructive' advice etc..
I do agree with you here, Pete, 100%. I feel that the problem is - that no one minds what Stephen's opinion in his book is, as everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But it's up to the individual if they want to purchase Stephen's book to see what it contains. But Stephen has invited the multitude of comments, because he has trust the contents into almost every post that he has written, and therefore bombarded most with the book contents and his own opinion, which some of us disagree with.

8)

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
pete9012S wrote:I really do think Stephen has handled himself as a true gent in the face of lots and lots of 'constructive' advice etc..
I do agree with you here, Pete, 100%. I feel that the problem is - that no one minds what Stephen's opinion in his book is, as everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But it's up to the individual if they want to purchase Stephen's book to see what it contains. But Stephen has invited the multitude of comments, because he has trust the contents into almost every post that he has written, and therefore bombarded most with the book contents and his own opinion, which some of us disagree with.

8)

Yes, what you say about the books 'enthusiastic' promotion is quite right Julie.May be that could be put down to inexperience and a genuine naivety on how exactly to self promote a self published book on the world wide stage?
Stephens love and knowledge of Enid do come across loud and clear.
We live in an age of the Davinci Code,conspiracy theories,hidden codes in the bible,magic and mysticism,Harry Potter,Lord of the Rings,Lost,etc etc.....
As we have seen even Enid is now under scrutiny for hidden meanings and prophetic utterences in her work.

Some of the interchanges with forum members and Stephen on this subject have reminded me very strongly with Boris Johnsons appearences on Have I Got News For You.... Yes Boris is eccentric,but disarmingly so,with a good nature and the ability to laugh at himself,without becoming aggresive towards those ribbing him....
Speaking personally I would find these forums a lot duller and less stimulating without Stephens unique input of late.....and that is why I wish him genuinely all the best with his book....

(perhaps the book should carry a rider on the front cover like 'The views and interpretations in this personal anecdotage about Enid Blyton are solely the opinions of the author')

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Pete says - perhaps the book should carry a rider on the front cover like 'The views and interpretations in this personal anecdotage about Enid Blyton are solely the opinions of the author')

I think that's a good idea. In large black letters too.

Pete says: As we have seen even Enid is now under scrutiny for hidden meanings and prophetic utterences in her work.

That's what I disagree with. I don't think there was any hidden meanings in Enid's work. She was just a good children's author. End of....

Society Member