Journal Feedback Needed

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Tony Summerfield

Journal Feedback Needed

Post by Tony Summerfield »

In Journal 32 I published Part 4 of Gordon Lupson's article on Famous Five dustwrappers. Gordon has phoned me twice recently to ask why I haven't yet published Parts 5 and 6. The simple answer for the last three Journals has been space and time, but I also pointed out to Gordon that nobody had asked where they were, and possibly that meant that readers weren't interested. I know Gordon has spent hundreds of hours examining dustwrappers in minute detail, and as he has not got a computer, I promised him that I would post here to ask for people's opinions as to whether they would like to see Parts 5 and 6.

I warned Gordon that not all feedback was necessarily polite, recently I received this email about the last three Journals - "I've just received my latest society journal, along with a note that my membership is due for renewal. I'm inclined not to renew, I've found the journal disappointing as it seems to cover the more obscure Blyton books. My favourite books are Mallory Towers, St.Claire's and of course the Famous Five. These seem to rarely get a mention, despite being some of her most well-known work?" - Gordon said that he would like some honest opinions on his articles.

In summary he said that Parts 5 and 6 would be about, "The Mystery of the various dustwrapper errors, anomalies and inconsistencies in the period from 1948-51"

So please have your say about this or any other Journal articles. Remember, however, that I can only include articles about Mallory (Malory!) Towers and St. Claire's (Clare's!) if I get sent them!! :roll:
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Journal Feedback Needed

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Being a relatively new journal subscriber, I read the whole one from cover to cover and found no points that need changing, but then I'm only the new girl!

I enjoyed it. But because this was my first Journal, you should probably ignore my feedback for now! :D

Just thought I'd let you know!

Pippa-Stef
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I should think that I'm speaking for many people when I say that I enjoyed Gordon's articles on Famous Five DW's just as much as I enjoy any articles in the EB Journal. I simply thought they had come to an end at part four, and didnt really realise there should have been another two parts to it.

I would be quite happy to see the remaining articles. They may not be to everyone's taste, but then I feel the content of the Journal should cover all things Blyton, popular, obscure, familier or academic. I would class Gordon's series as maybe more academic than most, but that doesnt mean we don't need things like that in the Journal: they are very relevant.

As for the complainer who wrote to you, I have a couple of things to say:

1, Why should all the Journal articles be about Famous Five, Malory Towers and St Clares? That would turn the Journal into something that was boring to the extreme. I am one of the writers guilty of finding more obscure titles to write about, and I feel that, as the Journal should be a little educational as well as familier, there is a justified place for articles about less common series and books. Surely the Journal should embrace all aspects of Blyton's works and not just stick to those more ordinary titles that are readily available? I for one enjoy reading about books and stories that I have never come across and maybe (due to their rarity) never will.

2, The obvious reply to this person who doesnt want to renew membership because of the lack of their favourite articles is - "well, why don't you get off your backside and write a few?" :evil:

It's no use them moaning about the lack of the more usual series if they arent themselves prepared to write articles about them. If they won't write them about their favourite books, then why should anyone else?! :x
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Sue Bell

Post by Sue Bell »

Have to say, without being rude, that it has been a great relief not to see Gordon's articles in the Journal. They really are the last word in boredom, and are of little or no interest. At least 30 people have also mentioned this to me over the time they have been included, and a couple have even said they felt inclined to discontinue re-joining the Society, as the Journal seem to have been taken over by these very long, drawn-out, uninteresting articles. There are so many worthwhile & delightful contributions, plus Tony's lovely illustrations and information, that it is already filled with far more desirable content. Early dust wrappers were not computer generated/printed, and their variance is their charm. Apart from helping to identify first editions when applicable, does anyone really care about discrepancies of dust wrappers, of reprints!!!! Having been an avid Blyton collector for over 60 years, & loving most connections with her works, I must say that these articles leave me cold, and I hastily skip, like many other folk, to the next item. PLEASE Tony, don't waste space and make us suffer more of them!! I have never yet spoken to anyone that has found them remotely interesting.
Sorry Gordon. Perhaps they are just for your own interest.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hi Sue!

I guess I can see your point of view too, and i know what you mean about the later articles. I guess I was thinking more about the first two articles in Gordon's series, which dealt more generally with the first editions. As the series progressed it took in more and more detail, which I must admit is a little tedious.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

These articles are surely a must-read for the real “professional/academic” collectors? I can see that they can be boring for someone who isn’t into this, but they only take up about 10% of the magazine.
I found the last one quite interesting (but had to read it a few times to take it all in properly!) I just wish I had more of these old books with dustjackets so I could refer to them when I read the articles!
I think the remaining articles should be published. He’s put a lot of work into it and there could be some people out there who like them, but also just thought the series had ended.
I think there is a nice mix of articles on well-known series (FFO, etc), and less well-known books, and card games, and railways, etc.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I did read Gordon Lupson's articles but they weren't of particular interest to me personally as my Famous Five books are paperbacks.
[Tony:]I warned Gordon that not all feedback was necessarily polite, recently I received this email about the last three Journals - "I've just received my latest society journal, along with a note that my membership is due for renewal. I'm inclined not to renew, I've found the journal disappointing as it seems to cover the more obscure Blyton books. My favourite books are Mallory Towers, St.Claire's and of course the Famous Five. These seem to rarely get a mention, despite being some of her most well-known work?"
As Robert suggested, it might have been an idea for the person who wrote that email to start the ball rolling by contributing something of their own on those series!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I was not a fan of that particular series of articles either. However this may be because I do not have the means to purchase First editions and therefore care little about various anomalies. Nevertheless I did refer to one of the articles on at least one occasion when considering an ebay bid for a book. I personally feel the journal is better without them but it does seem a bit of a shame not to finish the series. The articles have a place in the society canon I am sure, too academic for most but they are clearly very well researched and should be available to those who want them.

Sorry if thats all a bit ambiguous but I guess i feel that the series should be finished even though I probably wont read them myself. I dont like the sound of people threatening to leave because of boring articles. Could they possibly be subdivided up so that they take up less space in the editions they appear in? As to the person who wanted evry journal to contain nothing but articles on a few of Blyton's best known series, well every journal I have DOES have articles on at least one of the major series so that side of things is well catered for. One of the delights of the journal, and one of the things which maks it a very special publication is its willingness to explore the full range of Enid's vast output.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Journal 32 was the first journal I received having just joined the Society then. Unfortunately, the mentioned article, wasn't of much interest to me even though I do have a number of hard backs, with dust jackets. I'm afraid I don't pay too much attention to the errors, or misprints etc. but can see that the information is well researched and a must for anyone who is a keen collector of first editions and old copies.

I think the rest of the article should be printed for the benefit of anyone who is interested in this side of Blyton's books.
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I read the dustwrapper articles in amazement that anyone should have noticed the small differences between editions and I must say, although impressed by the author's obvious interest in the subject, it wouldn't be a subject I could raise too much enthusiasm for! Having said that I think it would be nice to have the remaining contribution for anyone who would like the full story! Regarding other content - does anyone ever find every single article in any other magazine exactly to his/her taste? I welcome the less well known stories having an airing as there are some I haven't read and I realise I still have more collecting to do (and maybe even manage an extra point in the monthly quiz because of a snippet I have picked up!). To review the titles which most people have read over and over again needs a skilful author who could put an interesting slant on them to make them appeal to someone who knows the story inside out already. I must say I think our reviewers do a very good job.I enjoy the varied articles in the journals - my only complaint is that I seem to get to the end so quickly!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have just completed a lengthy, six-part thesis on Differences in Paper Quality of Subsequent Editions, and was due to deliver it to Tony personally. However, from reading some of the above comments, it would seem that most of you are not interested in the finer margins of printing. For example, the difference in thickness between papers from a 1940 1st edition to a 1966 third impression can be as much as .0003 mm. I find this of extreme importance and interest in anyone who expresses just a minor interest in Blyton's work. It does seem to me, that there is an element about us that is only interested in asking banal questions about TV series (Enid wrote books, for goodness sake).

I'd like to say that I found Gordon's articles of the highest interest, even looking out my old wooden Helix ruler. I'd like to say.....

Maybe I'll hang on to my thesis for a while, Tony; at least until you have resolved Gordon's issue. :shock:
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Taking up Nigel's interesting observations on paper thickness (and tongue firmly in my cheek also) maybe those with limited shelf space would consider the advisibility of replacing their old fat first/early editions with the later slimmer volumes or even for the most space -restricted, dare I suggest paper-backs? Think how much more space would be available if the 8 hardback Adventure series for instance were discarded in favour of the paper-backs!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wow Daisy is right, I just did a test and fitted three Armada paperbacks into the space vacated by one old hardback. Perhaps a 10 part series of articles from Daisy on the proper organisation of shelves could be considered. :D :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Daisy IS right, but a further space-saver is to stack the books of top of one another, from floor to ceiling, instead of side by side across various shelves. You see, there's always dead space between the tops of the books and the underside of the shelves above. Stacking them floor to ceiling is an amazing space-saver. If you're really clever, you can actually use four short stacks of books (say about three feet high) as sturdy table legs, thus making good use of space AND saving on the cost of a new table.

Moonraker, your thesis on the thickness of paper sounds interesting, but only if you've included a study into the subtle differences between the white and slightly off-white paper stock used during printing, and the variations in color that can result from decades of varying atmospheric conditions (smoking vs. non-smoking environments, etc).

On a more serious note, I personally find the Journal has a very good mix of articles, some more interesting to me than others. The idea that the more popular series are not mentioned is ludicrous; I can't remember when a popular series was not! Just because that complainer (complainant?) couldn't find her particular favorites doesn't mean it's not a worthwhile subscription, especially at the ridiculously low price. Still, to her credit, at least she did explain why she wasn't renewing her subscription. Any feedback at all is better than none.

And about Gordon Lupson's articles... I remember reading through one part and being vaguely interested, but even taking into account how anal-retentive I am, I couldn't find myself caring very much about the tiny differences from edition to edition. I think Gordon's work on this could be VERY valuable to collectors, so it's certainly not wasted time; the question is whether or not to include the last two articles in what are already tight-for-space, bursting-at-the-seams Journals. I agree that it would be a shame not to finish the series for the sake of not finishing... but on the other hand, would the last two parts be missed by enough people? It's like a new TV series that gets axed due to low ratings, even though there's a hard-core (but small) fan base. You can't please everyone, so you have to try to please the majority.

Therefore, my personal vote is no, don't print the last two parts. :(
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, Keith. Some have said rather paradoxically that the articles should be printed, but that they wouldn't be interested in reading them! I mentioned that they hadn't been included in the last three Journals for reasons of time and space. Space is self-evident, but to explain time, Gordon originally sent me one concluding article (which he suggested splitting into two in our recent phone calls). What I now have is 40 A4 handwritten pages of text, tables and diagrams. It is extremely tricky to set and I reckoned it would probably take me three days and I wasn't happy to spend this time on something that few if any would bother to read.

I thought Gordon's original parts on first editions were important and useful, but I am dubious as to the value of minute discrepancies on numerous reprints, which I explained to Gordon in our phone calls. I did get one or two emails when they were first printed, one on the subject of 'men in white coats' I won't go into! I did, however, have one explaining that in that era of printing, it wasn't a very exact science and sometimes things like full stops and hyphens just fell off the press. If this was noticed they were replaced, but not necessarily in the exact same position, and many of Gordon's errors and inconsistencies were simply explained by this. This person went on to say that there were probably many other dustwrapper differences that Gordon hadn't yet come across and there was very little value in measuring millimetre differences.

I think I am still waiting for somebody to say that they are absolutely desperate for me to print the next part and not simply because Gordon has spent a considerable amount of time on this. I have spent hundreds of hours on some things that I wouldn't dream of printing in the Journal as I know it would bore most readers stiff! :lol: