Journal 35

What did you think of the latest Journal?
Gavin
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Valley of Adventure, FF, SS...
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Journal 35

Post by Gavin »

Received my Journal 35 a few days ago - it's a fantastic read and I can honestly recommend it to anyone, whatever their interest in EB. It's got nostalgia, it's got biography, it's got rare EB stuff to read and it's got great illustrations and pictures throughout. It's an absolute bargain and I urge you to give it a try if you haven't already!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

My copy arrived yesterday. I haven’t had much time to look at it yet, but will be reading at least one article per evening! I recently read The Family at Red Roofs for the first time, so that article is well timed.
Moonraker

Tites and Mites

Post by Moonraker »

I was surprised to read Terry Gustafson's comment on stalagmites and stalactites. He says it was explained as there is a C in Stalactite which can be related to Ceiling, and a G in Stalagmite which can represent Ground.

I remember Julian (I think) saying that Stalactites hang on tight to the roof and that Stalagmites might one day reach the roof. (or words to that effect). I have remembered to differentiate them in that way ever since reading the passage as a child.

I never recall reading Terry's passage.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I was always told that 'mites go up and tites come down' - goodness knows why, but I have remembered it ever since! :lol:
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I also was interested in Terry's method of remembering the difference between stalactites and stalagmites as it is one I hadn't heard before. I, like Nigel have thought of stalactites hanging on tight, but stalagmites growing up mighty and have remembered the difference this way ever since. I haven't time to go through all my Fives books to find if it was Julian who said it but I'm convinced I read it in an EB book as a child. I also knew why the whiskers on cats are the length they are and am positive that is in an EB story, BUT, my husband who has never read a Blyton book in his life also knew that!(I'm sure I never told him, but who knows?)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Daisy:] I, like Nigel have thought of stalactites hanging on tight, but stalagmites growing up mighty and have remembered the difference this way ever since. I haven't time to go through all my Fives books to find if it was Julian who said it but I'm convinced I read it in an EB book as a child.
It was definitely Julian in Five Go to Billycock Hill.

Edit: Just looked up the quotation, which is in Chapter 12. Julian says, "The stalactite icicles have to hold tight to the roof - and the stalagmite might some day join with the ones above them!"

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Anita. I was trying to think which stories had the Five in caves, but I'm not so up on all the details of all the books as you. Congrats. on your full marks in the monthly quiz by the way. I had wondered how long it would be before someone achieved that, and thought it would be either you or Ming!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Daisy. My money's on Kate Mary or Lisa to be the next to achieve 30!

Anita

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Just looked up the quotation, which is in Chapter 12. Julian says, "The stalactite icicles have to hold tight to the roof - and the stalagmite might some day join with the ones above them!"
Isn't something like that mentioned in The Valley of Adventure too? I'm not really sure, can't recall, but I think there was something.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Just looked up the quotation, which is in Chapter 12. Julian says, "The stalactite icicles have to hold tight to the roof - and the stalagmite might some day join with the ones above them!"
Isn't something like that mentioned in The Valley of Adventure too? I'm not really sure, can't recall, but I think there was something.
I must admit, I thought that too - but couldn't find a reference there.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Ming wrote: Isn't something like that mentioned in The Valley of Adventure too? I'm not really sure, can't recall, but I think there was something.
Yes the Adventure gang encounter Stalactites and Stalagmites shortly after entering the passage leading to the treasure caves in Valley. Philip and Jack inorm the girls which is which but there is no handy clues like C or G to remember them by. Its simply stated which ones are which and left at that though nearly half a page is devoted to describing their eerie beauty.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I have vivid memories of a 1976 family trip to the Dan-yr-Ogof caves in Wales. Stalactites, stalagmites and natural pillars were an incredible sight. The highlight of the trip was when the guide switched off the lights, I have never known a darkness like it. http://www.showcaves.co.uk/caves.html
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Looks great, Petermax. I love exploring places like that. A couple of years ago we visited the caves at Limousis in the South of France and I reminded my children of Julian's words about stalactites and stalagmites.

http://www.all-free-photos.com/show/sho ... es&lang=en" target="_blank

Anita

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

I'm never sure when to post a message about the Journal. :roll:

If I comment too soon I won't be able to comment too much because I haven't yet rradall the articles. On the other hand of I leave it 'til I've gone through the whole Journal, it's all a bit after the event!

My thanks to all who contributed, and to Tony for putting it together. I agree that the Journal seems to get better and better.

I particularly enjoyed David Cook's FFO article (well I would, wouldn't I? :wink:), Anita's article (I wish I was more familiar with 'Family' books, I did read and the ones I read in my childhood),the Sheila Ray and Gillian Baverstock articles, and the Blyton/real world articles (re. the latter, in particular the picture of the Bourne End sweet shop!).

Re. the stalactite/stalagmite debate, I've always had the same recollection as Moonraker.
After I had read his post, I guessed Lucky Star might weigh in with the 'Valley' example
:wink:

Thanks once again to all the contributors for giving up their valuable time in order to write the articles. :D
It must have taken everyone no small amount of time to put the articles together - so thanks once again.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the journal.
I’ll mention the “Blyton in the 21st century” article in particular – I like the style “the time is ripe to open our minds …” etc!
The "Making Us Hear" article was an interesting take on things as well.