Famous Five Books - The Endings

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Famous Five Books - The Endings

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The ending of Five Go to Smuggler's Top is one of my favourites. It's terribly poignant that the house is to be sold and the marshes are likely to be drained. The Five (and we as readers) have had a taste of a landscape and lifestyle that are about to be lost forever.
Yet by today's ethics and standards it would be impossible to drain the marshes and destroy this unique environment.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very true Wolfgang. I like book two's ending. Nicely wrapped up - tutor packed off and the delicious promise of more adventures in the pipeline!
Five Go Adventuring Again

The snow melted two days later, and the police took away Mr. Roland and the others. The children watched them go.
'No more lessons these hols!' said Anne gleefully.
'No more shutting Timothy out of the house,' said George.
'You were right and we were wrong, George,' said Julian. 'You were fierce, weren't you -, but it's a jolly good thing you were!'
'She is fierce, isn't she?' said Dick, giving the girl a sudden hug. 'But I rather like her when she's fierce, don't you, Julian? Oh George, we do have marvellous adventures with you! I wonder if we'll have any more?'
They will - there isn't a doubt of that!
THE END
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Just finished Hike. I think the ending suited the book. A short couple of days break with an adventure thrown in - and they simply must get back to school on time!!

Five on a Hike Together

They bathed and washed every inch of themselves. They found their clothes neatly folded and brushed, and felt grateful. They brushed their hairs and arrived looking very clean and tidy in the inspector’s private room. He had a man there, inspecting the jewels and labelling them before he put them away into boxes.
‘You’ll be interested to know that we have picked up your couple,’ he told them. ‘The man had a broken ankle and couldn’t stir a step. The woman was thigh deep in the marsh when we found her. They quite welcomed the police, they were so fed up with everything!’

‘Oh good!’ said the four, and Anne beamed with relief. That settled Maggie and Dirty Dick then!
‘And these are the Fallonia jewels,’ said the inspector. ‘Not that I had any doubt of it. They are now being checked and labelled. I’ve no doubt the Queen of Fallonia and her titled friend will be extremely pleased to hear of your little exploit.’

A clock struck half past two. Julian looked at it. Half an hour only to get back in time. Would they do it?
‘It’s all right,’ said the inspector, with his wide grin. ‘Car’s at the door. I’ll come and see you off. You’ll all be back at your schools in good time - and if anyone believes your tale I’ll be surprised. Come along!’
He saw them into the car, Timmy too. ‘Good-bye,’ he said, and saluted them all smartly. I’m proud to have met you - good luck to you, Famous Five!’

Yes, good luck to you, Famous Five - and may you have many more adventures!

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

That must be one of very few places in the series that actually use the phrase "Famous Five". Does anyone know how many there are?
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I have a feeling that was the first, maybe the only, instance within the books where the Five are actually referred to as the "Famous Five" — and it was after Five on a Hike Together was published that the series officially became known as The Famous Five. Before that, the books written so far were referred to on the dust jackets as simply "The Fives". I remember we had a discussion on this a few years ago, as I was one of the ones asking that specific question — when did the Five become Famous?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Calling Themselves The Famous Five?
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8633
IceMaiden wrote:George refers to them as 'The Famous Five' in Wonderful Time on page 13 and Secret Trail on page 21. It's also mention on page 182 of Mystery To Solve.
The above thread may interest you Michael.

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

I guess it's we readers who made the Five famous-- and George took the words from our mouth