Which EB books contain underground passages/secret rooms?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Which EB books contain underground passages/secret rooms

Post by Chrissie777 »

MJE wrote:     I think it would save a lot of time to say which books *don't* have underground passages or secret rooms rather than those which do.
Really??? :o
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Which EB books contain underground passages/secret rooms

Post by Chrissie777 »

MJE wrote:"The Secret Seven" features a cellar in an apparently abandoned, closed-up house where a stolen horse is being kept. Do cellars count as secret or underground rooms? There are the caves in "Secret Seven Win Through", and cellars again in "Good Old Secret Seven" (this time in a ruined castle), and cellars again in "Go Ahead, Secret Seven". And that's about all I can think of for the Secret Seven.
     The paucity of tunnels and secret rooms is even more extreme in the Five Find-Outers books. Despite the title, I don't think the titular secret room in "The Mystery of the Secret Room" really counts, as it is just an ordinary room kept secret. There is the underground garage in "The Mystery of the Hidden House" where stolen cars are "re-birthed" for resale, and then there's the tunnel leading from the hillside Banshee Towers is situated on leading up to the building itself - and that's about all I can think of for that series. (Am I overlooking any, perhaps in books I haven't read for a long time? It's remarkably few for a 15-book Blyton series.)
Michael, I'm not as familiar with the Secret Seven series as with the other suspenseful EB series.
I've read them once or twice in German a long time ago. Last year (or was it the year before?) I started reading the first 4 books in the series in English and even though I enjoyed each single book (particularly the one with the many snowmen and another one where the kids hide in some factory basement watching a mail car on the street), too many things in my busy life interfered and I never found the time to read the rest one after the other. So right now I'm reading an EB book at night, but unfortunately not an entire series. :oops:

I forgot about the underground garage in "Hidden House" even though it's one of my favorite FFO & Dog sequels, but so far I've only read the German translation several years ago.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock