Five Go Off to Camp

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Five Go Off to Camp

Post by aminmec »

I recently read Five go off to camp after a long time .( attempting to read the F5 in order ) .I was pleasantly suprised to see it quite well structured with a perfect mix of the elements of suspense , adventure , action and emotion.It reads very well and was thoroughly enjoyable
I understand that this was after the initial halt of 6 books -till five on kirrin island again .
It seemed better than the previous five .Is it so because of the hiatus after book 6 and also because of fan demand .
What are the thoughts of other readers.
Stephen

Re: Five go off to camp

Post by Stephen »

I do remember quite liking this (it's the one with the Spook-Trains and one legged man isn't it?), although I haven't read it for many years. For me, the trouble was my copy was in a very bad state of disrepair, so although it could be read, I always associate it with literally an awkward reading experience. Pages falling everywhere.

I need to get myself another copy!
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Stephen wrote:For me, the trouble was my copy was in a very bad state of disrepair, so although it could be read, I always associate it with literally an awkward reading experience. Pages falling everywhere.
I dunno why this is making me laugh so much but my mom is looking at me weird now! :lol: :lol:
You can call me Sunskriti!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Poor you, Stephen. At least you could read it at your own speed! I first read it one chapter at a time as it was serialised in Sunny Stories!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I can't fault the book. Love the story, characters & the mysterious Spook-trains in the dead of night...well, everything about it, really! I can remember pestering my mum to buy me a tent one Xmas. I was 11 & eagerly wanted to go out exploring the moors, just like the F5. I did get the tent & I've never looked back! Wonderful book. The inspiration for my life long love of camping in the great outdoors. Not seen any Spook-trains as yet, though! :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't read Five Go Off to Camp since I was probably 7 or 8 years old, but still remember it as one of the most exciting and outstanding Famous Five books. The old derelict railway tunnels and the spook trains were downright creepy!! :shock: (Looking back as an adult, I'm not sure why the baddies needed to use such an elaborate cover for their deeds, but it does make for a thrilling story. :wink: ) I don't think I realised at the time that it was Enid's first new Famous Five story after her original intention of finishing the series at six books, but she certainly showed her fans at the time that she hadn't yet run out of ideas!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Five Go Off to Camp

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

This book is a favourite of mine, though I've not read it for a while now. It reminds me of Arthur Askey and The Spook Train, filmed in B&W, which I think I've mentioned anyway on this thread, attached.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... f=4&t=5927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

It certainly has similarities to the Arthur Askey film, Julie! I've not seen the film for many years, but I enjoyed watching it whenever it made an appearance on our screens...which is now a rarity! :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:This book is a favourite of mine, though I've not read it for a while now. It reminds me of Arthur Askey and The Spook Train, filmed in B&W, which I think I've mentioned anyway on this thread, attached.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... f=4&t=5927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
8)
I have that film on DVD, Julie, and I've often wondered if Enid was influenced by it!

Five Go Off To Camp is one of my favourite Famous Fives. As to the strength of it, after the initial 6 books, I personally think the second 6 books are stronger, generally, than the first 6. Camp, Hike, Trouble and Fall Into Adventure are often amongst many people's favourites. I also think the book after each batch of six (ie Camp and Mystery Moor) were stronger and written with more enthusiasm because Enid had been encouraged by her fans to write more.

Mystery Moor is also one of my favourites, though I know many would disagree!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:Mystery Moor is also one of my favourites, though I know many would disagree!
How could people disagree that Mystery Moor is one of your favourites? :P
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lol - true! :P
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It certainly has similarities to the Arthur Askey film, Julie! I've not seen the film for many years, but I enjoyed watching it whenever it made an appearance on our screens...which is now a rarity!
You don't have to wait! The Ghost Train, starrring Arthur Askey and Richard Murdoch.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Awww..thanks, Moonraker! I shall snuggle down & watch this delightful film this evening, with a few Badger ales to keep me company!! :D
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

One of the better FF books which benefits from the inclusion of the eccentric Mr Luffy.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It's definitely one of the best books in a great series. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member