Is this booklet easy to buy?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Is this booklet easy to buy?

Post by Fiona1986 »

If you look at the signatures under the posts you will see who are Society Members and who are not, Ice Maiden. Only those who receive the Journal are members.

The Illustrated Biliographies are proper soft cover books btw.

And I'm really not sure that library printing does work out cheaper in the long run. Official printer ink is expensive but generic brands work just as well, and over a long period of time and a lot of printing I can't imagine you'd be better off using a library. As we discussed above - you would have paid £10 to print those Cave pages in my library. I could buy an ink cartridge for around that and print off ten times as much.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fiona1986 wrote:If you look at the signatures under the posts you will see who are Society Members and who are not, Ice Maiden. Only those who receive the Journal are members.
I'm not sure this is necessarily true - though I think it should be. Yes - all people who have 'Society Member' under their posts are Society Members...but I believe there are quite a few members who have opted (for reasons only known to themselves!) to remain incognito! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Very few, Rob, as I normally put the blue Society Member under them when they join. I can't remember who it was, but I did try to add it to one new member and it wouldn't add and I believe Anita also tried and had the same problem as me.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I remember that we couldn't add the Society Badge to one member, Tony. Very strange!

The Journal Catalogue shows all the Journals if you're interested, IceMaiden. To get an idea of the kinds of articles they contain, click on one to see a list of contents:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/jour ... alogue.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Journal is excellent value for money. Since 2010, every issue has had over 80 pages.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Very few, Rob, as I normally put the blue Society Member under them when they join. I can't remember who it was, but I did try to add it to one new member and it wouldn't add and I believe Anita also tried and had the same problem as me.
I think its a great idea to show who is a Society member - a badge of honour! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

The Journal really is worth the annual Society membership price, IceMaiden. It's a great read and always full of interesting and fascinating things — and of course, subscribing helps to keep it going! :wink: Plus, most of the articles in it are written by Society members and there's always room for new contributors, if there's any aspect of Enid's life or her works that you'd like to write about... :D (No pressure. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

And IceMaiden, another benefit of becoming a member is access to the secret passage where the follow on books written by other members are hidden. There are some amazing books hidden there waiting to be read.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Indeed. If you had tried to access the weekly serial, Ice Maiden, or anything in The Secret Passage, you would see that access is denied. The subscription is well worth it as you have access to this part of the website and the three quality Journals each year.

Of course, the forum Society members make up a small percentage of the Society members, as the majority don't post on the forum. The forum also is only a small part of the whole website, which is the best website devoted to an author that I have ever seen.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I remember that we couldn't add the Society Badge to one member, Tony. Very strange!
Would you remove it from anyone who added it and wasn't /would no longer be member of the society?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Tony Summerfield

I haven't removed anyone who has let their subscription slip, in the hope that they might resubscribe! :)

I would remove it if anybody put it on who had never belonged to the Society. I noticed that Viv no longer has the blue badge, but she removed it herself, I didn't do so.

I normally only add them if people ask me to as they are not sure what to do. I see that you don't have one, Wolfgang, but you have been a member for a long time!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I would certainly recommend joining the society, Ice Maiden. The journals are excellent value for money.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I haven't removed anyone who has let their subscription slip, in the hope that they might resubscribe! :)
Hmm, I would add the word "lapsed" to the badge/label. They'd re-subscribe quicker then!
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:Hmm, I would add the word "lapsed" to the badge/label. They'd re-subscribe quicker then!
I agree! In fact I think if 'Society Member' was removed when membership lapsed, it would be a good reminder to that person that they need to renew. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
I normally only add them if people ask me to as they are not sure what to do. I see that you don't have one, Wolfgang, but you have been a member for a long time!
Yes, I subscribed 10.05.2008.
I deliberatley didn't add the tag, Tony.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Tony Summerfield

You don't have to have one, Wolfgang, I don't have one either - but I have never subscribed so I am probably not entitled to one! :lol: