Readathon - Smuggler Ben and Cliff Castle

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Readathon - Smuggler Ben and Cliff Castle

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Enid explains that the only thing that doesn't come to her without thought is her characters' surnames - she resorts to looking up suitable names in the telephone directory.
And occasionally forgetting what they are and turning them into Barnard... :wink:

That was a very interesting review indeed, Pete — where did you find it? It's obviously by an Aussie...
pete9012S wrote:I remember reading a Blyton book while standing in the Melbourne Central railway station when a guy that was dressed like a punk passed me and cried out 'Enid Blyton, I love Enid Blyton'...
Good on him. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its strange that Enid had to resort to a telephone directory to get her names...that's the thing that usually comes to me first when I'm writing - without the name I often don't have the character. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It was just the surnames Rob.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

I did a search (of the major series), and thought I’d post it before the discussion moves on. It might come in handy in another discussion.

The words “almost black” referring to complexion I found in three books:
Smuggler Ben Chapter One wrote: He was very, very dark, and his face and hands were burnt almost black.

Mystery of the Vanished Prince Chapter one wrote: “We honestly thought you’d be in disguise,” said Larry. “Gosh - how brown you are - almost black. Any one would think you were a foreigner! You haven’t got any paint on, have you? I’ve never known you get burnt so brown.”
“No - I’m just myself,” said Fatty, modestly. “No complexion powder, no paint, no false eyelashes, no nothing. I must say you’re all pretty brown yourselves.”
Mystery of the Missing Necklace, Chapter three wrote: "I think I've found him!" whispered Bets to Pip, catching hold of his arm. "He's the man selling the Roundabout tickets! He's just like Fatty, only he's got a black beard and thick black hair, and gold ear rings in his ears, and an almost black face."
The simile “brown as” I found in seven books:
Brown as berries: Secret of Killimooin 3:35, Secret Island 13:11, The Ragamuffin Mystery Chapter 21;
Brown as oak-apples: FF17Fix6:21, FF20Sol6:24;
Brown as a well-ripened nut: FF11Won7:38;
Brown as monkeys: The Adventurous Four Chapter 1.
So the phrases occur 3 to 7, not that great of a difference. But the one that occurs more frequently also occurs in the more popular series.
snugglepot
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Faraway Tree, Barney Books
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by snugglepot »

Yes, I finally got around to reading Smuggler Ben.
I did enjoy it and jotted down notes as I read each chapter.

Chapter 1

First point I noticed was that the family arrive by bus and the story starts as they get off. This is different to many Blyton stories, as train travel seems to be her favourite means of transport and she usually starts the story with the journey and the meal eaten during the journey. In fact I started Cliff Castle as soon as I finished "Smuggler Ben" and it starts in the usual train journey fashion.
As other people have mentioned there is a great deal of imagery involved in the description of the cottage. My book has an illustration of the cottage at the top of the page and for me it was fascinating to see and read about thatched roofs. I still have never seen one in real life and I have to admit that when I see one on TV, I do not find it an attractive look.
The description of the inside with the convenient library, is good. I laughed when I read about the three bedrooms upstairs with no mention of a bathroom.
On one page it is Frances saying how hungry she is but on the next when Hilary says it Alex commented, "You always are." Maybe it was meant to be the same girl saying it twice.
The trip to the village shop and the mention of all the food. As a child I had no idea that such a thing as rationing existed in England during the war, but, now I am aware of it, having read books and watched programs, I wonder about that loaf of "crusty bread" and if it really would have been available along with cakes, sweets, chocolates and ice-creams. It seems Enid was happy to use the war in her story (though it has not been mentioned yet) but avoided the harsh reality of rationing.
One thing I did notice that could be a hidden reference to rationing is when they ask for "....their butter and jam". The word "their" is what gives me the hint of rations but still no books are mentioned.
The first meeting with Ben and the children are obviously, not impressed. They comment negatively about him.
I love the description of the children's first trip to the beach. The chapter closes with them taking the "marigold path, through the white gate, and into the sandy lane."

More insights later.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I see you mention - no bathroom - snugglepot, that's probably because a small cottage like that wouldn't even have a bathroom, and the toilet would be outside somewhere. These cove cottages were normally two up and two down sort of buildings. The fact that some of these little cottages that old have a bathroom these days is because the owners have built on and installed one. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Just read the article posted by Pete and I agree that Smuggler Ben sparkles with innocence and wonder despite the wartime setting. The children are young enough to indulge in make-believe (playing at being smugglers) and Ben likes to stay in role much of the time. I enjoy that aspect of the story. E. Nesbit's characters also play imaginative games like that and it's fun to read about them and remember how real these games feel when you're a child.

However, the children enjoy unbridled freedom but are too innocent to have much awareness of the potential dangers as John (Lucky Star) pointed out earlier. I think I'd have been the same if I'd had the opportunity to go off exploring by myself (or with my sister and friends) as a child. I'd have thought it was fine to plunge into a cave system armed with nothing but a torch, jump from a rocky ledge onto a cave floor in near darkness, attempt to clear a roof-fall with seaside spades, take a boat out along a coast that was new to me or spy on villains! Hopefully, the fact that most of these things would have been a lot scarier to do than to read about would have brought me to my senses before things went too far! Imagine if the children had caused another roof-fall while clearing the previous one. If they hadn't been killed they could have been trapped or badly hurt – or both – and nobody would have known where they were. I had another "Yikes!" moment when Ben says to the others on their first visit to the caves, "I often come to play smugglers here when I'm by myself." Again, if he'd injured himself and been unable to get out nobody would even have known where to look for him. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Interesting points about the rationing, Snugglepot, especially the observation that the children ask for "their butter and jam" at the store. Bread wasn't rationed until about 1946, though much of the bread that was available was poor quality. It's amazing to read of the tea that Hilary eats during this time of rationing – "seven pieces of bread and jam, three pieces of cake and two currant buns!"
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I see you mention - no bathroom - snugglepot, that's probably because a small cottage like that wouldn't even have a bathroom, and the toilet would be outside somewhere. These cove cottages were normally two up and two down sort of buildings. The fact that some of these little cottages that old have a bathroom these days is because the owners have built on and installed one. :lol:
And bathrooms and toilets (and the need to use them) don't exist in Enid Blyton books anyway. :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I seem to be promoting my latest Barney mystery a lot (apologies!) but it struck me when reading Smuggler Ben that I almost lifted the setting from this story and put it in my book! The cottage is very similar but mine is a bit bigger -- and yes, there's no toilet!! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

We are also treated to that old Blyton stand-by, the rope around the waist.

"We'd better slide down a rope" he said.

"We haven't got one" said Alec

"I've got one around my waist" said Ben and undid a piece of strong rope from under his red belt.

I think ropes must have been sold in clothes shops in those days. :lol: :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Yes, it's always very Blyton to read about the rope around one's waist. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

One thing did strike me as an adult (but not when I read it aged 12) and that is when the children decide to come back and watch for the 'smugglers'. The woman says 'We will bring them on Thursday night when the tide is full' and so the children decide to keep watch at Midnight on Thursday. Why did they presume that the tide would be high at midnight, given that around 7 pm seems to be high tide? :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Nicko
Favourite book/series: The Five-Find Outers, The Adventure Series

Post by Nicko »

After a hectic few days at work, I have managed to read the book as well (probably for the first time) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The only real 'criticism' I could make is that it could have been longer and it felt a little rushed in places, but when that is the main criticism of a book then you know that it can't be bad.

As I think Julie already said, I felt that having Ben threaten the children with a knife seemed rather extreme when viewed with modern sensibilities. It was a very quick turnaround from this to having him invited to tea by the children's mother! :D I don't know why, but I also found that scene particularly amusing. Having invited someone to tea, their mother says something along the lines of, "Nice to meet you, but I've got some work to do so go into the other room and don't come in here." It obviously served a purpose for the plot, but it didn't strike me as a wonderful act of hospitality. :D

I was reminded of The Castle of Adventure at one point when a character says, "We're going to need a rope" and (I think) Ben miraculously has one around his waste.

I liked having the war specifically mentioned and kind of wish that EB had done this with more books. Having the two men coming back from the army is interesting, but understandably is another moment that feels a little rush due to EB having to cram in so much plot.

The ending I have to say that I find unbelievable. The police giving children fireworks and the like in other books I can understand, but giving them a motor boat? That seems slightly OTT but maybe the police were that generous (and that reckless) during that era.

Anyway, I hope that didn't come across as negative because those are small faults in the great scheme of things.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thinking of the bathroom question - I rarely gave it a thought as a child - with one exception - and that was in 'The Secret Island'. I often wondered where they went to the toilet there when I was a child. Maybe they dug a hole? ;-) Especially since the children's diet was 'questionable' - fish and berries and a few rabbits, mostly, I think! :?

And what did they use for toilet paper?! :shock:

:oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:One thing did strike me as an adult (but not when I read it aged 12) and that is when the children decide to come back and watch for the 'smugglers'. The woman says 'We will bring them on Thursday night when the tide is full' and so the children decide to keep watch at Midnight on Thursday. Why did they presume that the tide would be high at midnight, given that around 7 pm seems to be high tide? :?
I too wondered why the timing was so different!
Nicko wrote:I don't know why, but I also found that scene particularly amusing. Having invited someone to tea, their mother says something along the lines of, "Nice to meet you, but I've got some work to do so go into the other room and don't come in here." It obviously served a purpose for the plot, but it didn't strike me as a wonderful act of hospitality. :D
Enid Blyton may have wondered if readers would think that as she has Hilary make a positive remark about the situation - "It's nice of Mother to send us up here. We can talk in peace."

Mother says she needs the siting-room "to do some writing in." Is she an author like Enid Blyton, perhaps, or does she merely want to write letters or do some paperwork? I doubt she writes children's adventure stories or she'd be saying to the children in the final chapter, "I really must put you and your escapades into a book!"
Nicko wrote:The ending I have to say that I find unbelievable. The police giving children fireworks and the like in other books I can understand, but giving them a motor boat? That seems slightly OTT but maybe the police were that generous (and that reckless) during that era.
There's some quite unbelievable wish-fulfillment in The Secret of Cliff Castle too. :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member