Readathon - Smuggler Ben and Cliff Castle

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Readathon - Smuggler Ben and Cliff Castle

Post by Rob Houghton »

Liam wrote:
Maybe the German translation deliberately avoided name-calling?
Yes - maybe political correctness gone mad, as people say, and the translator didn't realise being called 'monkeys' is a term of endearment. :-D

I guess the cats quote could have a similar meaning if one interprets it as being that cats are often determined to go out at midnight, and you can't stop them doing what they want...open to interpretation though!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Well done. My primary English teacher always used "those rascal monkeys" to refer to naughty or noisy pupils in our class.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I think the "sneak out of the house like cats at midnight" version puts a rather different slant on it, suggesting there's almost a sinister element to what the children are doing, whereas "little monkeys" makes it sound much more like Uncle Ned is thinking they're just playing some prank or other and he wants to join in. I was quite surprised at that element of the story myself — given how most adults would react if they saw young relatives sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night, I didn't feel Uncle Ned's attitude to them was quite realistic — but it's what Enid wrote, and I guess it also explains why he follows the children quietly rather than shouting to them and asking them what on earth they're doing. Really, Ned seems to be a jolly good sport of an uncle, wanting to be in on the children's fun rather than getting them into trouble — and he does turn out to be of vital use, especially since he happened to take his revolver with him! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, that was one of the elements of the story which seemed rather surprising. The children were very daring to go through the room in which their uncle was sleeping, as it was! It was quite likely that anyone would become aware of three figures passing through and opening a door.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Thank you all who took their time to answer my question :-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've only now finished reading Smuggler Ben, and about to start Cliff Castle - which has always been one of my favourite Mary Pollock books, along with Smuggler Ben, so its good to be able to read them both again. :-)

I enjoyed the ending of Smuggler Ben, as I'd forgotten the details, although they all came back to me as I read. I still think its a perfect little story, and although some have said its rushed, I tend to think its brevity is its strength. After all, the situation Enid (or Mary!) puts her characters into doesn't have much scope for stretching into a 20 chapter novel. It's fairly realistic that the baddies are caught straight away.

I love the war details, with the soldiers, and the names of the spies obviously being German - it gives realism to the latter half of the book. I also love all the use of guns - which again is realistic. I still think this book is a masterpiece in just 10 chapters - so well written, and a book that really puts me in awe of Enid's skills.

One thing I disagree with others in this thread about is the motorboat reward at the end. I'd forgotten all the details, but everyone who mentioned it seemed to think this was at the expense of the police etc, and a bit extravagant in war-time - but the boat was actually the spies old motorboat...so I don't see it as overly wasteful to give it to the children as a reward - after all, it hadn't exactly cost anything to procure it - and the children HAD saved Britain from some potentially dangerous spies!

I loved the detail that the boat was called Otto, and Hilary suggested it must be painted over at once, it being a German name, and replaced with the name 'Smuggler Ben' which was a nice finishing touch.

Looking forward to starting Cliff Castle. I have the original with illustrations and dust wrapper by Lindsay Cable, and with Mary Pollock's name on the front! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I might be wrong, but wasn't petrol rationed as well? These pleasure cruises of people seem to be odd during war-time.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - I think its definitely odd to have pleasure boats and trippers in speedboats mentioned - petrol was one of the first things to be rationed, in September 1939.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, I think Enid overlooked wartime restrictions when it suited her! Of course, most of her books didn't mention the war even though written at that time, so to ignore the deprivations of that time was quite understandable.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree - Enid understood that children wanted to return to the golden days of pre-war times, I think, so she gave them what they wanted most of the time! Austerity of war would have become a bit depressing after a while if every one of her books mentioned it! I think the fact she didn't mention the war much is what has made her books so timeless. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:I love the war details, with the soldiers, and the names of the spies obviously being German - it gives realism to the latter half of the book.
Yes, Gretel and Otto are mentioned. Enid Blyton also uses the name Otto for an Austrian man in The Valley of Adventure.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It was lovely to wake up in the morning and remember everything. Frances woke first and sat up. She saw the blue sea shining in the distance and she gave Hilary a sharp dig. " Hilary! Wake up! We're at the seaside! " Hilary woke with a jump. She sat up, too, and gazed out to the sea, over which white gulls were soaring. She felt so happy that she could hardly speak. Then Alec appeared at the door in his bathing-trunks. He had nothing else on at all, and his face was excited. " I'm going for a dip," he said in a low voice. " Are you coming? Don't wake Mother. It's early." The girls almost fell out of bed in their excitement. They pulled on bathing-dresses, and then crept out of the cottage with Alec. It was about half-past six.

It was 6.30am went they set off.What time did they rise? 6am? In their holidays.They make the Famous Five look like layabouts!!
I used to like to get up early on holiday - but not that early.Anyone else get up at 6am when young?

The world looked clean and new. "Just as if it has been freshly washed," said Hilary, sniffing the sharp, salt breeze. " Look at those pink clouds over there! And did you ever see such a clear blue as the sea is this morning. Ooooh—it's cold! " It was cold. The children ran into the water a little way and then stopped and shivered.
The world looked clean and new. "Just as if it has been freshly washed," said Hilary,
Which other characters uttered similar lines and in which books? Can anyone remember any? I keep meaning to do a bit of research on that one.Maybe Anne and Lucy-Anne perhaps??

Yes,the water around Britain is jolly cold.Icy cold.Even in high summer as I jumped off some rocks in Anglesey in my holey underpants to try and impress my future wife when we were courting.

I nearly caught hypothermia because the water was so cold.Crystal clear and ever so inviting,but so so cold!
Anyone else able to brave the British water by the sea without feeling absolutely freezing?
A lifetime reading passages like this made me think there was something wrong with my body temperature personally,as so many of Enid characters just don't seem to feel the cold whilst bathing...

The girls were soon right under, and the three of them spent twenty minutes swimming out and back, diving under the water and catching each other's legs, then floating happily on their backs, looking up into the clear morning sky. " Time to come out," said Alec at last. " Come on. Race you up the cliff! " But they had to go slowly up the cliff, for the steps really were very steep. They burst into the cottage to find Mother up and bustling round to get breakfast ready. At half-past seven they were all having breakfast. Afterwards Mother said she would tidy round the house and then do the shopping. The girls and Alec must make their own beds, just as they did at home.
I would think ten minutes in icy cold waters would be quite an achievement personally.Maybe I am a wimp - but I have been wild swimming all over the country and have found the sea to be the coldest place I have encountered.

It's 7.30am and now they have been up since around 6am,gone swimming and are heartily consuming breakfast.
I would feel quite heroic on my holidays if I was just up at 7.30am to actually eat my breakfast.

Maybe kids were made out of sterner stuff than my generation (1960's& '70's).Nonetheless,Enid's depictions and descriptions gave me something to aim for and aspire to.

I did try to get up as early as I could and I braved the chilly waters around this country's coast for as long as I was able to - my family thought I was quite mad!

Trippers

" And listen —is that a motor boat? " It was. One came shooting by at a great pace, and then another. They came from the big seaside town not far off where many trippers went. The children watched them fly past, the white spray flying into the air.
" You keep out of this. It's been my cove for years, and no one's come here. I won't have you trippers coming into it and spoiling it." "We're not trippers! " cried Hilary indignantly. " We're staying at Sea Cottage for a whole month." " Well, you're trippers for a month then instead of for a day! " said the boy sulkily. " Clear off! I tell you. This is my own place here. I don't want anyone else in it. If you come here I'll set on you and beat you off."
Enid Blyton has also had a massive lifelong subconscious affect on my attitude toward 'Trippers' too.

I long for wild open spaces,secret coves,moorland,mountainous country without another soul or 'tripper' in sight.
It's too late for me to really change now,but I really must try and remember that the countryside,seaside,mountainside are for all to enjoy and not just those hell bent on living an Enid Blyton dream-like 1950's lifestyle!!!
Last edited by pete9012S on 27 Apr 2017, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Smuggler Ben looks quite a bit older than the others in that last illustration, almost a young man as opposed to a child.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always presumed Smuggler Ben was around 14, as he doesn't go to school, apparently, and goes fishing instead. I can't recall (even after having just read the book!) if his age is ever mentioned?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member