What is the difference between these two books?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

What is the difference between these two books?

Post by IceMaiden »

The Boys and Girls Circus Book and Enid Blyton's Circus Book. I've looked in the Cave and as far as I can tell their the same book with a different wrapper. Looking online though, the B&G one looks the same style as the News Chronicle books with a red spine rather than the white spine copy in the Cave and is only around £6. The EB one on the other hand is vastly more at £60+. Is there a reason one copy is so much more expensive or are they two seperate books? :?
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: What is the difference between these two books?

Post by pete9012S »

I have the 1949 edition illustrated by R.Webster without dust jacket.

I don't know if the prices have suddenly shot up,but my 1949 copy in decent condition was around £5 or £6 a couple of years ago.

I think Tony or Rob may know a bit more though.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... ustrations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... ome+to+the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps.
Whilst we're talking about Circus books,
I'm sure you already know that Come To The Circus (1943) and Come To The Circus! (1948) are two completely different books.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm no expert - but I do have both books! In my experience the Boys and Girls News Chronicle version is much harder to find, especially intact and in good condition. the white spine version shown in the cave, is, according to the caption below it, a reprint.

I believe the original book had some circus models to cut out and assemble? Not sure what they were like, as these are never present in second hand editions!

The news Chronicle version is of course a very big annual sized book, and as thick as the usual News Chronicle books. The reprint, which Pete pictures above, is a much smaller novel-sized book. I'm not sure why it is so difficult to find - except I think it was only reprinted once in this version ( I think - I've never seen any other edition of this version than 1949 but correct me if I'm wrong!) It was also the very last reprint of this book, as it is the only Enid Blyton full-length novel that has never been reprinted in paperback.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I remember Tony mentioning the circus cardboard cutouts. I'd love to see a photo or scan if anyone happens to have them, but I suppose most got played with and were eventually thrown away decades ago!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Rob Houghton wrote:The white spine version shown in the cave, is, according to the caption below it, a reprint.
That is the Newnes 1st edition and unlike the original News Chronicle one it had a dustwrapper. A very scarce book indeed with the DW - I paid a lotta money for it! :shock: