Listen-Through/Discussion of Famous Five Audio Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Listen-Through/Discussion of Famous Five Audio Books

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: I'm more bothered by the fact that 'he seemed so British' has been taken out. Why? Of course, one of the reasons, as discussed earlier, is that the books are now set in 2017...Being 'so British' no longer means honest and admirable.
Dunno about that... most of the British people I know are pretty honest and admirable. 8) I suspect it's more that the editors were worried it could imply that people who are not British are not honest and admirable. Or just that, in general, it's now seen as dubious and probably offensive to attach such a stereotype, even a good one, to a nation like that.

I haven't read the book, but going by the excerpts, the character in question was a traitor to Britain but didn't seem like one, so in that context, I don't see much of a problem in saying "he seemed so British" — i.e. he appeared to be someone who was thoroughly loyal to his country, but he was the opposite. Surely it's logical that a traitor who wanted to remain uncaught would try to appear as proudly British — or whatever nationality he or she was — as possible!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I know I'm in danger of getting a bit political, and I don't want that - but i think its an interesting subject...I agree the reference to being 'British' may have been removed because it seemed that Dick was intimating that being 'British' is better than 'German' or 'Italian' or 'American' - but in a way this is a sad sign of the times. Germans are proud to be German, American's are proud to be American, Italians are proud to be Italian, etc - but somehow being 'British' is associated with far right policies, racism and xenophobia. I think that's quite sad - things have gone from one extreme to the other in a little under a generation.

It's got to the stage where we are somehow afraid to call ourselves 'British' - or - worse still, 'English', because it's somehow wrong.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Courtenay wrote: I haven't read the book, but going by the excerpts, the character in question was a traitor to Britain but didn't seem like one...
I think you need to read the book!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:I think you need to read the book!
I thought that, too! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Wonder if the original edition of The Adventurous Four has been altered? That has lots of references to British children...
We are British children, and so we have plenty of courage and heaps of ideas.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think it has, Pete - but I don't have a really new version. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

Courtenay wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote: I'm more bothered by the fact that 'he seemed so British' has been taken out. Why? Of course, one of the reasons, as discussed earlier, is that the books are now set in 2017...Being 'so British' no longer means honest and admirable.
Dunno about that... most of the British people I know are pretty honest and admirable. 8) I suspect it's more that the editors were worried it could imply that people who are not British are not honest and admirable. Or just that, in general, it's now seen as dubious and probably offensive to attach such a stereotype, even a good one, to a nation like that.
As a non-British, I understand that one could theoretically be offended by the implication that being British means that one is not inclined to treason, because it would imply that people from other countries are not blessed that way. However, you'd need to be very eager to be offended. It's clearly just a case of harmless nationalism. You could also interpret, as someone mentioned, that a very British person would be less likely to be a traitor to Britain. Of course, the eager-to-be-offended could say that implies that someone who, for some reason, does not conform to a British stereotype is more likely to be a traitor.

Rob Houghton wrote: I also don't understand why 'to our country' should be taken out. Surely 'He is a traitor to our country' would still be understood and acceptable today?
I don't get that one. Maybe they thought it was redundant, since in that context it was obvious that "traitor" meant "traitor to our country"?
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote:Wonder if the original edition of The Adventurous Four has been altered? That has lots of references to British children...
We are British children, and so we have plenty of courage and heaps of ideas.
Yes, it seems that those references have been altered despite The Adventurous Four being set during the Second World War when patriotic sentiments would have been actively encouraged:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... sh#p225284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I can remember when I was at school, we would sing the National Anthem and also 'Rule Britannia' and it would really make me feel proud to be British. When we celebrated the queen's Silver Jubilee, we were proud to have a visit from someone royal (I forget who, lol - the queens cousin, I think - I was only 6!) at our school party in the local park, and when Diana married Charles we had free mugs at school, and drew pictures and waved flags and were thoroughly patriotic

Since then, I've changed, along with much of Britain, to realise that patriotism is a bad thing. This is basically why Brexit has happened - as a kick-back against those who feel we shouldn't be proud to be 'British'.

I know I sound nationalistic saying this...but that's the point - I think we are the only country in the world who is afraid to sound nationalistic or patriotic because we know its looks bad. :( That's why its been removed from books. Patriotism is looked on as being as bad as racism and sexism these days. No wonder Enid's books are called 'xenophobic'.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Anita & Rob.

Rob,your detailed comparison of the original with the 2009 version was fascinating.Many thanks.
Rob Houghton wrote: Well, this is definitely a reference that was taken out of the 2009 version of The Adventurous Four when the names of the girls were first changed. The old version reads

"Don't cry Mary," said Andy, putting his arm around her. "We have to be brave now. We are British children and so we have plenty of courage and heaps of ideas. We must all think hard and see what we can do to trick the enemy."

The 2009 version reads -

"Don't cry, Zoe," said Andy, putting his arm around her, "We must all think hard and see what we can do to trick the enemy."

Earlier on in the original version -

"Haven't you seen the sign on the wings?" asked Tom, in a curiously angry voice. The girls looked. The sign of the crooked cross was painted on each wing - the sign of the enemy - the foe of half the world.

"Golly!" said Mary and she drew in a deep breath, "Enemies! Using these islands!"

whilst in the 2009 version it simply says -

"Haven't you seen the sign on the wings?" Tom asked in a curious voice. The girls looked. Painted on each wing was a strange symbol.

"Who are they?" said Zoe, and she drew a deep breath, "Foreigners! Using these islands!"

It's plain that modern versions aren't even set in the war, but just include evil 'foreigners'...and while in the 1940's these were 'the enemy' now they have become the less politically correct 'foreigners'. The joys of updating! :evil:

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Interesting to read that link - thanks to Anita and Pete! As usual, I don't really remember writing it, lol - but now I've read it, it's all coming back to me! It's interesting because I no longer have the 2009 version of 'The Adventurous Four' to compare the original with! I think I must have got rid of it when I was clearing a few of my more modern books and sending them to charity shops! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:I know I'm in danger of getting a bit political, and I don't want that - but i think its an interesting subject...I agree the reference to being 'British' may have been removed because it seemed that Dick was intimating that being 'British' is better than 'German' or 'Italian' or 'American' - but in a way this is a sad sign of the times. Germans are proud to be German, American's are proud to be American, Italians are proud to be Italian, etc - but somehow being 'British' is associated with far right policies, racism and xenophobia. I think that's quite sad - things have gone from one extreme to the other in a little under a generation.

It's got to the stage where we are somehow afraid to call ourselves 'British' - or - worse still, 'English', because it's somehow wrong.
I don't like to take us off topic, but just wanted to add that in the just over 5 years I've lived here, I can only say the vast majority of British people I've come to know are wonderfully kind, good-hearted and thoroughly decent people and they have a lot to be proud of. Yes, I do also see attitudes sometimes that are not so admirable, but I don't associate them with quintessential "Britishness". If I take up dual citizenship — which I will be able to do in a few years' time if all goes to plan — I will have no qualms about calling myself British (by adoption) and being proud of Britain. :) (Don't worry, I'll still be Australian too. :wink: )

And yes, I know I should read this book and indeed the rest of the series, but my books-I-should-read list seems to grow longer by the month (if not the week) and the Famous Five are unfortunately a fair way down it!! :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

By the sounds of the few books you've read Courtenay, you'll have to retire now to start reading them all. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I would if I could afford to, Julie! :mrgreen:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

According to Nigel, you'll have even less time when you retire, Courtenay! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member