Secret Seven Hodder collection

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
kirstymaclaren

Secret Seven Hodder collection

Post by kirstymaclaren »

Hi all,

I am looking to get a complete set of secret seven books, but I strongly dislike the fact that a lot of Enid Blyton's work has been updated, e.g. changing amounts of money, vocabulary etc.

Hodder have published the books with the original artwork (1996 / 2000), which looks nice but I don't like buying modern Blytons!

Does anyone know if the content inside these editions is the same as older editions, or are they modernised?

Thanks,
Kirsty
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Secret Seven Hodder collection

Post by sixret »

They are modernised in some ways. You can always buy the vintage Secret Seven books with original texts on Ebay. Usually, you can get one vintage SS book with original text for less than £10 including postage to mainland UK. You can also buy the job lot of Secret Seven so that you can save your money. They are abundant. Vintage SS(pre- 1970s) is the series that you can easily collect. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

I'd agree with sixret. Those Hodder editions were missed opportunity and there even occasions where the original drawings clearly don't relate to the updated text.
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Post by aminmec »

The vintage paperback editons with Derek Lucas covers and then the photo covers are also easily available and reasonably priced .I think they are uneditted too
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The 1960s-70s paperbacks with Derek Lucas or photo covers do have very occasional minor edits, though nothing much - e.g. "overcoats" has become "anoraks" in some (though not all) instances and Scamper doesn't "make love to the cook" in Good Work Secret Seven. Enid Blyton had a tendency to sprinkle the text liberally with dashes, some of which have been removed.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member