Malory Towers Question

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Katharine

Malory Towers Question

Post by Katharine »

Does anyone have a modern version of the first Malory Towers book they could check something for me?

As you may have seen from the 'annoyed' thread, my daughter took a school quiz yesterday and got a question wrong. I checked with the school today, and it definitely asked how many brothers and sisters does Sally Hope have, and the answer clearly states 'none'. The head teacher is going to mention it to whoever needs to know about this error, however I've just been struck by a thought. My daughter read my 1970s paperback version, and I wondered if for some reason the modern version has been updated and changed to remove any reference to her sister.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Malory Towers Question

Post by Daisy »

I can't think that it would have been altered - baby Daphne is crucial to the story.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's my thinking Daisy, but nothing would surprise me with some of the ridiculous edits that have taken place over the years! :roll:

As I said elsewhere, in my daughter's case it didn't affect the outcome, she wouldn't have scored enough to get through to the next round anyway, however it's possible that a child in another school might have been incorrectly marked and so missed out on a place in the next stage.

It's such an annoying mistake, because it is an important part of the book.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I have new versions of these books, Katharine, and on page 90, Sally says and I quote:-

"I haven't got a baby sister! I'm the only one. Mother and I have been everything to each other because Daddy has had to be away such a lot. I haven't got a baby sister!

Maybe whoever set the question hasn't read all of the book Katharine. As Sally does have a baby sister! But Sally didn't want to admit it at first being jealous.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I did wonder that Julie, my other thought was that the answer on the sheet was 'none'. Did someone actually mean to put 'one' and accidentally add an 'n'?
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I've only got one copy of this book but I've not got it here with me at home, but its a 1990 Dean copy and baby Daphne is definitely in it, I definitely know that.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I have new versions of these books, Katharine, and on page 90, Sally says and I quote:-

"I haven't got a baby sister! I'm the only one. Mother and I have been everything to each other because Daddy has had to be away such a lot. I haven't got a baby sister!

Maybe whoever set the question hasn't read all of the book Katharine. As Sally does have a baby sister! But Sally didn't want to admit it at first being jealous.

8)
That's what my 1987 W H Smiths first four omnibus copy has and is identical to the first book in the Dean's 1991 "Malory Towers" omnibus.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

As others have said, Daphne is pretty crucial to the story! I've compared every word from the third impression (1948, Methuen) with a 2000 paperback by Egmont and Sally definitely has a baby sister no matter how much she denies it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member