Least Favourite Enid Blyton Series?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Least Favourite Enid Blyton Series?

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote: If I was pressed to make a decision it would probably be the Noddy books.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Poor Noddy! What did he ever do to anyone, lol!? ;-)

I wonder if the 'favourite' thing has anything to do with when we read the books? Its looking as if least favourite series are those we didn't read as a child, maybe. Secret Seven was easily one of my favourite series growing up - much more than The Famous Five, which I didn't read much of until I was an adult.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I reread the original texts of Secret Seven in order 3-4 years ago. I was struck by how strong the detective element/mystery element are in the majority of Secret Seven titles written in fewer pages than FFO series(although detective element in FFO series is far better). I am a fan of GAD detective novels and I could say that Secret Seven series manages to pull nice twists in the majority of the titles and is respectable detective book series for younger children. I do not remember the exact examples but that was the impression I got from rereading the series.

I agree with Anita, the least favourite of mine is Caravan Family because of its devoid of plot. It is more like she tries to give information in an "interesting" way rather than telling stories with plots.
Last edited by sixret on 13 Oct 2016, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.
sixret

Post by sixret »

May be it is time for me to reread Caravan Family series and see if my view changes.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Rob Houghton wrote: Poor Noddy! What did he ever do to anyone, lol!? ;-)

I wonder if the 'favourite' thing has anything to do with when we read the books? Its looking as if least favourite series are those we didn't read as a child, maybe. Secret Seven was easily one of my favourite series growing up - much more than The Famous Five, which I didn't read much of until I was an adult.
Oh gosh...I'd forgotten all about Noddy .... *hastily pushes Secret Seven further up the ladder*. I never met Noddy until my children were little and have only read a couple of the stories although I have about 6 of the books. Naturally enough the appeal was somewhat limited by then!
Rob, I'm sure your theory is correct and those books we read as children hold a special place in our hearts.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy wrote: Rob, I'm sure your theory is correct and those books we read as children hold a special place in our hearts.
Obviously its not always true, because I know Courtenay never read the Adventure series till she was an adult and now rates it very high - and I love The Famous Five and had only read two of them before I was 25 - but generally I think the series we dislike most is one we didn't read as a child. That's why I find it hard to pick one, as I had read at least a few books from each series when I was a kid - except Malory Towers and St Clare's. I hadn't even heard of those two series as a child, as my sister didn't even own any of them!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Even as a child, I never liked Noddy. I thought the colourful drawings were excellent, and accept this is just the sort of thing that should appeal to children. I've even commented in the past on the fact that it's so suitable for today's CGi CBeebies/Milkshake generation, it's almost as if Enid created something sixty odd years ahead of its time. But even in my younger days, there was something about this constantly cheerful boy that grated on the nerves!

I'm tempted to say St Clare's, but that's only because I'm not nearly as familiar with it as I am with Malory Towers. Last time I read a St Clare's (a few years ago), I thought it was very good, although I just can't remember the characters or anything in the plot.

Incidentally, the fact these stories were set in girls' schools never bothered me. The characterizations were so strong and well-rounded, they weren't simply girls, they were people. For instance, as a schoolchild I most identified with Mary-Lou (timid, prefers to be led rather than to lead), and to an extent Sally in the first year (likes to keep herself to herself). But now as a working adult I identify more with Darrell (strong sense of right and wrong, but prone to bouts of bad temper) and Alicia (prankster, irreverent, though perhaps sometimes condenscending).
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I may have read the Malory Towers and St Clare's books as a child if they'd been around. My sister didn't own any of them and so I never saw them - unlike the Naughtiest Girl books, which I read avidly. I do think as a child it mattered more (to me anyway!) if I thought a book was 'for girls' - it certainly doesn't bother me now I'm older. My sister had some 'Chalet School' paperbacks - but I never even opened them.

As a child I was MAD on Noddy - loved the illustrations, the stories and the characters. I was still buying Noddy books aged about 8 or 9 because I was trying to collect the whole set. I had some Noddy figures, and I made my own Toy Town out of boxes and cardboard. I also made a couple of 'Noddy Annuals' out of A 4 paper tied together with ribbon, with my own puzzles and illustrations inside. I think you could say I was a very keen Noddy fan!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I remember vividly devouring all 12 books in St. Clare's and Malory Towers series(in hardback 1997/1998 Dean editions) one after another when I was supposed to study for my last stage of ACCA in 2003. I was not working for the whole year to concentrate on my final papers. Those lonely nights when I had to study alone with big mug of coffee being replenished every now and then to make me stay awake. I remember reading them in the final 2 months before exam. I studied solidly for 2 hours, then watched The Nanny for 30 minutes. Then went back study for 11/2 to 2 hours then I need my distraction very badly, so I read the series for 30 to 40 minutes and made fresh coffee until dawn. They accompanied me throughout my boring nights so I have always associated both series(along with The Nanny TV series being shown in wee hours) with fond memory.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Daisy wrote: Rob, I'm sure your theory is correct and those books we read as children hold a special place in our hearts.
Obviously its not always true, because I know Courtenay never read the Adventure series till she was an adult and now rates it very high...
Thanks, Rob — I thought I was going to have to repeat myself. :wink: I know I trot out that point a lot, but it does prove to me that you don't always have to have read an Enid Blyton book/series as a child for it to be one of your favourites. I rate the Adventure series higher than just about anything else I've ever read by Enid — other than the Galliano books, which I would probably say I love equally but in a different way (they were my favourites as a child). But as for my least favourite series, I can't really say — I've never read anything by Enid Blyton that I didn't enjoy, as far as I can remember! (And I have always loved the Noddy books, so there. :P )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I thought of Courtenay and her late introduction to the Adventure series which is why I wrote "special place in our hearts" rather than "favourite".

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I honestly can't think of any series or single EB book that I dislike. Even those I like less are still books I enjoy reading. Even single books like 'The Mystery That Never Was' are enjoyable...although I have to admit if there was a 'Mystery That never Was Again' or 'Return To The Hidey Hole' or 'Hidey Hole Again' those might be my least favourite series! :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I agree - I can't think of any I dislike either. Still, that wasn't the question really. Maybe some of the more historical ones are among my less favourite ones - like Tales of Great Adventure. I haven't read those for years... maybe someday I will. They've been on my book shelves for over 50 years!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm amazed Anita didn't put Noddy for her answer. :wink:

At the moment I'd put the FFO as my least favourite, but last night I started a re-read of the entire series, so maybe a second attempt will change my feelings?

I don't rate the SS as high as other books, but as they are aimed at a younger age group, I can't really judge them against books such as the Adventure series. I agree about the Caravan Family not having much of a plot, but then it is aimed at a totally different age group the say the Barney stories.

I'm not over keen on the Tales of Brave Adventure type books. There's only one book that I'd probably avoid reading in the future, and that the Circus one about Fenella - far too sad for my liking.
Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Rob Houghton wrote:
If they'd been gollies they would have been banned by now, lol! :lol:
Don't start that one off again, Rob :D :P
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I'm going to say that for me this is an impossible question - there is no such thing! :D
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶