The Book People Collection 2016

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

The Book People Collection 2016

Post by Paul Greaves »

Hi all, my set arrived this morning and I think its one of the nicest Hachette have done. I'm just sorry they're not releasing them all in hardback this time. It's the 1997 text as Anita mentioned in the "Hachette Reverting to Classic Text" thread and they contain the Eileen Soper illustrations.

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/ptg197 ... ive%202016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Book People Collection 2016

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The books with the Eileen Soper covers and illustrations always were done with the 1997 text, so this lot haven't reverted at all, but the covers are certainly different. I am wondering now if they are going to be sold as individual titles or whether you have to buy all 22 if you just want one!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's interesting that the style of the font used on the front of these editions is very similarto the font used on the 'Adult' Famous Fives...hmmm...so they are suggesting the same audience for all of them...? :?

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

They are a nice set, not as nice as the originals of course (none ever could or will be in my view), but at least they've got proper illustrations instead of those ghastly cartoons that do not in any way whatsoever go with the stories Enid Blyton wrote. My biggest bugbear of modern editions, after removal of the names and words, modernised language and general alteration, is the illustrations and cover designs. They do not match the books at all in my mind, their the book equivalent of putting a horizontally striped top with vertically striped trousers, it clashes and jars terribly and just doesn't look right together. Those ones however are nice, they look well thought out, sort of sincere and respectful as they should be.
Rob Houghton wrote:It's interesting that the style of the font used on the front of these editions is very similarto the font used on the 'Adult' Famous Fives...hmmm...so they are suggesting the same audience for all of them...? :?

I do not like that one bit. Putting EB's name on the top like that makes it look as if she wrote it, they shouldn't have been allowed to do that :evil: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote: I do not like that one bit. Putting EB's name on the top like that makes it look as if she wrote it, they shouldn't have been allowed to do that :evil: .
:lol: We've been through all that (multiple times) on another thread recently, IceMaiden! :wink: I totally agree with you.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)