Hachette Reverting to Classic Text for the Famous Five!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Hachette Reverting to Classic Text for the Famous Five!

Post by Paul Greaves »

Well, a rare admission of a mistake from a publisher (having been in the industry 26 years, it's rare...)
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/hache ... ext-394046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I notice that they're releasing a hardback of the first FF book but having checked with the publisher, unfortunately only the first one is getting a hardback release https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Treasure- ... ure+island" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, it appears that the retro cover style is getting released in a paperback box set currently available through The Book People: https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/ ... amous+five" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Hachette Reverting to Classic Text for the Famous Five!

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the links, Paul. Tony and I went to the Hodder headquarters for lunch last month and Anne McNeil told us the news about the classic texts and showed us one of the Famous Five illustrations by Laura Ellen Anderson. Although the article in The Bookseller talks of Hodder "reverting to using the original Enid Blyton texts", the "classic" Famous Five texts actually date from 1997 and they still contain quite a lot of edits, though the revisions are less intrusive than the 2010 alterations (which the article mistakenly says were made in 2012).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I suspected it was too good to be true!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

A positive article in the Daily Mail today. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... guage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Good news indeed! I enjoyed reading that 'Mother/Father' (rather than Mum/Dad), 'fellow' instead of man, 'peculiar' not strange, 'school tunic' not uniform, 'galoshes' not wellies, 'trippers' not tourists, 'you bet' not definitely, 'luncheon' not lunch and 'sou'wester' not rain hat will revert to form :D. Hope you had a lovely lunch(eon!) and enjoyable discussion, Anita and Tony.
Last edited by floragord on 17 Sep 2016, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I hate being misquoted or even just partially quoted which can alter the meaning of what you said. I spoke yesterday to the Guardian, the Telegraph and the Times, but had no contact with the Daily Mail at all and yet I am quoted in it! I got an email from them yesterday evening, but it was quite late when I read it and I thought that it was too late to do anything about replying.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

floragord wrote:Hope you had a lovely lunch(eon!) and enjoyable discussion, Anita and Tony.
Thanks, Flora. You can read more about it here:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... te#p275417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Newspapers and magazines do seem to lift stories from one another! At least the reporter in The Daily Mail has spelt the illustrator's name correctly - Laura Ellen Anderson. The Bookseller and The Telegraph have Laura Ellen Andersen (or they did when I last looked, though details like that can be corrected in online editions).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I had to go and buy a copy of The Times as you can't see it online if you don't subscribe and I was worried about what he might have written. Unlike the other two papers he has quoted me accurately, perhaps he was recording the call!

It is a while since I read any of the Famous Five books, but I don't remember the expression 'jolly japes' being used although it gets quoted in most articles. Perhaps a more recent reader of the books can enlighten me.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I must admit I wondered about "jolly japes" too and wondered if it came from the same source as "lashings of ginger beer." :?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

It makes a pleasant change when someone can just admit they got those changes wrong and revert to the original terms for upcoming editions. As well, we've had some good publicity from this too. :D
Last edited by joanne_chan on 17 Sep 2016, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Summerfield

I have just been talking to a producer at BBC Breakfast (TV) and she says that there is going to be a discussion about this on the programme tomorrow morning if anybody is interested.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Returning from York Book Fair earlier today, I heard mention of this on the Radio 2 news. Unfortunately, I am working 6-2 tomorrow so I won't be able to watch the discussion.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I had to go and buy a copy of The Times as you can't see it online if you don't subscribe and I was worried about what he might have written. Unlike the other two papers he has quoted me accurately, perhaps he was recording the call!

It is a while since I read any of the Famous Five books, but I don't remember the expression 'jolly japes' being used although it gets quoted in most articles. Perhaps a more recent reader of the books can enlighten me.
I have bought 'The Times' and will enjoy reading your quotes!
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

My library should have a copy of The Times so I will check it out when I'm in on Monday night.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Daisy wrote:I must admit I wondered about "jolly japes" too and wondered if it came from the same source as "lashings of ginger beer." :?
Interestingly I am reading ''Dead Man's Folly" by Agatha Christie and she uses the word "lashings"!
Society Member