Football Stories by Enid Blyton 1922 - 1955

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Football Stories by Enid Blyton 1922 - 1955

Post by pete9012S »

The new general natter thread on football made me think about how many stories out of the hundreds and hundreds Enid Blyton wrote involved football.

Have a guess.How many football stories do you think she wrote in her lifetime?
I couldn't think of any off the top of my head.

As usual,I had to head to the amazing Enid Blyton Cave Of Books to do more research.

Here (thanks to Tony) are some of the facts and figures I discovered.
If you don't want to know the score,please look away now.If you are intrigued to see how many stories mention football in the cave of books click here:

Enid Blyton's Football Stories 1922 - 1955

http://share.pho.to/AHxWh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Football Stories by Enid Blyton 1922 - 1955

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was going to say 'surprisingly few' - but then I'm not really surprised, lol. I'd always imagined Enid didn't write much about football. 8)

I really love the poem featured in the link -

Up and down the meadow,
Rushing to and fro,
Kicking, passing, shooting,
See the players go.

Never mind a tumble,
Kick a goal or two,
Try your very hardest -
That's the thing to do!

- seems to sum up Enid's entire knowledge of football in those eight lines of poetry!! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Maybe football could be the theme of one of these new Famous Five 'adult' books? Something like "Five Go to Buy a Pie and a Pint" with a front cover of them at the football. :wink: :P
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Here is a picture that you might have missed, Pete.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... 8No.151%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Tony.
My grandfather who was a professional goalkeeper before he was called up by the air force would have heartily approved of those ankle protecting football boots!

Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

I can't remember any Blyton books featuring football - the only sporting theme I remember was the cricket bat short story featured in Tales After Supper. I loved this story - mainly because I also had an autographed cricket bat and fancied myself as a future Yorkshire star (although, I was never allowed to play with it!)!

I loved football stories as a kid too (I'm a big Leeds fan) - and luckily early on discovered Michael Hardcastle's books. Although, it would have been great if Enid had been able to put together an adventure/mystery featuring a football theme/team. Think Pickles finding the 66 World Cup trophy!

And Pete, coincidently, it's funny you mentioned about your grandfather who was an ex goalie before the war. I have actually written a short story called Jeepers Keepers, which is about a budding young goalkeeper and a pair of goalie gloves that once belonged to his great grandfather (who would have made professional, if it was not for the joining the RAF in the war). The cover shot is actually a photo of my grandfather's football team from the late 30s - all wearing those heavy old boots! Jeepers Keepers is available on Kindle - I'll let you know when I next run a free offer.

Cheers,

Lex
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Lex.
My Granddad was on Everton's books,so I don't know if that will put you off sharing your football story! :wink:
You must know one of my favourite goalkeepers stories too:

"The Goalkeeper's Revenge" Bill Naughton

Regards

Pete

Society Member
LexFraser

Post by LexFraser »

A great book/story, Pete!

What's the last line, now? "Strikers? I can buy and sell em!" I also seem to remember a story from that book about a lad caught stealing a load of oranges - and the only way to get rid of the evidence is to eat them all! I am sure it's one of the stories in that collection (20 odd years ago when I last read it!).

My story is also about a goalie's revenge on a cocky outfield player - but with a supernatural twist!

Everton aren't all bad, Pete! I have great memories of Leeds' first game back in the top flight - old division one. We were playing Everton and at half-time your goalie Neville Southall, in protest about something, stayed on the pitch in his goal area. Right in front of our away support - he had to take some right grief for the whole 15 minutes!

Brilliant!

Cheers

Lex