Personal Gems From The Cave Of Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Personal Gems From The Cave Of Books

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote:Congratulations on your calendar Rob :) , I thought at first you'd got the one with the two dogs on it I saw listed on Monday, but it's still there so obviously it's a different one but at the same price. There's a lovely Famous Five pocket watch on there too, I had no idea such a thing existed.
Yes - the one with the two dogs is the same seller - they listed that one as soon as they'd sold the one I bought. I must admit I prefer the drawn calendars than the photographic ones like that one. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

IceMaiden wrote:I haven't yet gone completely through the cave of books yet as it is so vast with so much to look through! It reminds me of one of those enormous Asda/Tesco's that are so big you only get around part of it in one visit and it takes several trips to see everything on offer. What I have read though is just brilliant, it's like an encyclopaedia of Enid's books to find key points of information quickly, if it was printed into a catalogue I would buy it instantly :lol: .
Well, well! The Cave being compared to Asda and Tesco's! Very flattering, but I don't think that this is an analogy that I would have made as nothing in the Cave is for sale, despite the regular emails that I get from people complaining that it is difficult to buy the items that they want when I don't put a price on them. Some of them still send me an order of what they want and request an invoice.

As for the Cave being turned into a catalogue, it would be a bit of a biggie as it has several thousand pages, so I don't think I will be printing it out in a hurry. Chrissie likes printing things out, so perhaps she would be happy to get through a tree or two.

I think I will just stick to the Journals which at 88 pages are a much more comfortable read! :D
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Sometimes, I enter the Cave with the specific intention of checking which edition of a book I have but I quickly get side-tracked into looking at something else until the Cave becomes a labyrinth like the one in Ship Of Adventure where the children and Bill got lost. It can take ages to find my way out again!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I suppose as 1944 was a leap year, it explains why there isn't a calendar in that section that has the same day/date as 2017. Spitty, that.

Edit: I see the 1950 Calendar matches 2017. :D
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Nigel.Very interesting.

Enjoyed this from The Cave,wrong time of year,but still nice.Early (1917) too.

My Summer Prayer
(adult poem)

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... perid=2569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Just been looking at the serialised version of Banshee Towers with different illustrations by Eric R. Parker in the cave:

Fleetway Publications Ltd. March 18, 1961.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... ch=banshee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Eric Parker's illustrations are eye-catching and full of action but, as we've remarked before, the characters' faces do tend to look rather exaggerated and mask-like.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes _ I agree about the faces being mask-like - but I do like the general style of the illustrations - lively and exciting. This would definitely have made me want to read Banshee Towers! :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

IceMaiden wrote: There's a lovely Famous Five pocket watch on there too, I had no idea such a thing existed.
Well, I'm going a bit mad this new year - and I'm pleased to say I'm now the owner of the Famous Five pocket watch! Unfortunately the seller changed it from auction to 'buy now' and I deliberated over paying the £95 they were asking - but now I'm glad I did! The seller wrote today to let me know it was on its way to me and that she'd had three emails asking to buy it, one very irate because they wanted it! It's such an unusual item, I will treasure it! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Ebay sellers do amuse me sometimes, as I checked this watch out and I see she has said that it was produced by W H Smith! Smiths were a company that produced watches and clocks of all shapes and sizes including a few Enid Blyton ones, but they had nothing to do with the booksellers. The Noddy alarm clocks are probably the easiest thing to find although boxed versions are scarce.

I nervously checked your watch out, Rob, as I have seen modern replicas of it, but I was pleased to see that yours looks like the genuine article. A warning here that if something is in such good condition that it appears almost new, that is because it probably is! :roll:
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Tony! yes - I did wonder myself. I'm usually very wary - but i have to admit, I'd probably have bought the watch even if it was modern! It certainly looks genuine, and I've searched on line and found only another two similar ones that sold on various auction sites.

I was a bit puzzled by her reference to 'WH Smiths' I must admit! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Congratulations on winning the watch, Rob.
Going back to Eric Parker's illustration for Banshee Towers, I think the children's faces look awful. If that is supposed to be Bets holding Buster she looks about forty years old.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Congratulations Rob! :D
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Well, well! The Cave being compared to Asda and Tesco's! Very flattering, but I don't think that this is an analogy that I would have made as nothing in the Cave is for sale, despite the regular emails that I get from people complaining that it is difficult to buy the items that they want when I don't put a price on them. Some of them still send me an order of what they want and request an invoice.

As for the Cave being turned into a catalogue, it would be a bit of a biggie as it has several thousand pages, so I don't think I will be printing it out in a hurry. Chrissie likes printing things out, so perhaps she would be happy to get through a tree or two.

I think I will just stick to the Journals which at 88 pages are a much more comfortable read! :D
I didn't mean quality wise :shock:! Quality wise of course it would be Harrods or Fortnum & Mason, but as I've never been to either I have no idea how big they are. Those really vast Tesco's and Asda's are the largest shops I have ever been in so they were the only ones I could think of for a size comparison :P .
Rob Houghton wrote: Well, I'm going a bit mad this new year - and I'm pleased to say I'm now the owner of the Famous Five pocket watch! Unfortunately the seller changed it from auction to 'buy now' and I deliberated over paying the £95 they were asking - but now I'm glad I did! The seller wrote today to let me know it was on its way to me and that she'd had three emails asking to buy it, one very irate because they wanted it! It's such an unusual item, I will treasure it! 8)

Congrats Rob, I wondered if someone on here would get it! A shame you didn't manage to get it for the auction price though,but then if you had bid on it you might have ended up being either outbid or paying more than the buy now price anyway! As for the one who was very irate, if they wanted it that much you'd think they'd have bid on it when they had the chance :D
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

The Little Folks' Bumper Book [1927]

A Fatty and Timothy and Bets,sorry Bess in the same book back in 1927...

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... hp?id=1837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member