Modern editions.

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Modern editions.

Post by Courtenay »

Good thoughts, Joanne. I also don't mind some minor editing in modern editions if there is a really genuine reason for it — I totally agree with removing the "n" word (unless there's an obvious historical-context need for it, which I don't think there ever is with Blyton), for example. Or unnecessarily repeated references to someone being black — which, as you say, is simply because seeing a black person WAS unusual for most British people at the time Enid was writing. I also can't imagine she was intending it to be a derogatory reference.

What I do find uncomfortable, on that note, is the actual removal of a black person from the text, which has happened twice in modern editions of the Adventure series. Jo-Jo (now Joe), in The Island of Adventure, is one of Enid's most effective and sinister villains, who happens (originally) to be a black man. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that Enid was implying that he's a villain because he's black, let alone that ALL black people are criminals. He is portrayed as being a little strange, but that is part of the story. In fact, in the original context, it's precisely because people assume he's just a bit odd (maybe with their own racial prejudices in mind) that he is able to get away with what he does without being questioned. Far from being stupid and servile, he is actually a brilliant and dangerous criminal mastermind. And yet in modern editions he's not allowed to be a bad guy and black. :roll:

(Funnily enough, the recent reprint of Island reinstates the original illustrations, which show "Joe" very clearly as a black man, even though there's now no reference to his skin colour in the text! :P )

In The Mountain of Adventure, I can definitely live with Sam's dreadful "me poor nigger, missy" talk being removed. I can only guess Enid was trying to imitate stories where African-Americans were portrayed as always talking in that kind of self-deprecating pidgin English. Perfectly understandable in a book that's set in the era of slavery like Huckleberry Finn; totally unnecessary in a 1940s children's book. But could they not have left him as a black man — maybe also cutting down on David's and Lucy-Ann's rather over-the-top shock at seeing a "black" face — and just given him normal English dialogue? He's an African-American who is an elite paratrooper and has been terrified — quite understandably, as we later discover — on finding out what he and his fellow troops are being asked to do in this mysterious mountain. Cut out the Uncle Tom-style dialogue and he would actually be quite a positive portrayal of a black character. But no, he's not allowed to be black. Instead, the modern edition not only removes his colour, but apparently — I don't have a copy, so can't check it — makes his dialogue full of bizarre supposed-to-sound-American talk instead! :roll:

That said, I also agree with having the original editions available too, as you say. I'd rather be aware of what the author actually wrote — "warts and all" — than have the historical text censored out of existence as if these controversies over race, gender, etc. never happened. How are we ever going to understand how society has changed over time, and how nuanced these debates really are — and yes, that's something even young readers can and should appreciate — if we don't have books from the past as they were written at the time?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I've got a 2007 edition of Mountain and Sam is still described as black. I haven't got time to write out the whole passages but his face is described as having bright eyes and a cheerful expression.

There are quite a few references to his colour, such as 'the black face looked down on the little girl', 'a black finger came up from the leaves and was put to the lips' and Lucy Ann still says 'Black man! Black!" when she runs back to the others.

Instead of calling her 'Missy' he says 'lil gal' a lot, and is described as sounding like an American.

If I have time later I'll quote the full passages.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, thanks, Cathy — I take back my disparaging comments then. I hadn't read the new edition, just heard comments from others about it, and somehow picked up the impression that they'd made him a white man, or at least been non-specific about his skin colour. I feel a bit better about the edits now. :lol:

I'd still be interested to know whether the Japanese villains later in the story are still specifically described as Japanese! I'm assuming their silly pidgin English has also been edited out — another of the relatively few changes I wouldn't mind seeing. And do the Welsh characters still say look you, whateffer, to gootness?? :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

To be honest I'd forgotten that Sam was still black in this book - I've not had this edition off the shelf for years and I too thought he'd been updated!

I'm sure I've read about him being updated to white somewhere, with his deep-south talk removed too, unless I'm getting confused with Jo-Jo!

All the indeed to gootnesses are still there and the look yous, but the Japanese are just called guards now, no reference to their nationality. However they still talk a little bit foreign, one of them says "Not bring. Master say not bring" (referring to food). But that could be any nationality.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member