Famous Five Stationery

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Famous Five Stationery

Post by sixret »

Robert Houghton wrote:
sixret wrote:Is it just me who will smear the writing when using ink pen? One more thing, I have sweaty palms. Ink pen doesn't make my life easier!
Apparently John Pickup has a similar problem, as he says so further up the page! ;-)
Oops! I overlooked his comment. :lol:

Thanks Rob. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I'd write you a letter recalling some of my escapades involving fountain pens, Sixret, but unfortunately you wouldn't be able to read it. :D
Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thanks for the link Nigel. As chance would have it, I shall be in the UK next week. Time to stock up. :D
As indeed over here, the supplies have more or less dried out. Like with so many good things, people will only miss them once they are gone.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

John Pickup wrote:I'd write you a letter recalling some of my escapades involving fountain pens, Sixret, but unfortunately you wouldn't be able to read it. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You're welcome, Dick.

I don't get this sweaty palms problem, you still have to hold a ball-point pen, don't you? In any case, the pen shouldn't be in the palm of your hand. It's not an axe! You could also try having a left-handed nib fitted.

How to hold a pen
Left-handed writing
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

I got my Montblanc as a 21st birthday present and its still going strong these few years later :wink: , must be the old saw about one good fountain pen that lasts you for life!! I don't fill it though, but dip it, usually in black (not green...!) ink. I enjoy writing letters and cards by hand, so must be one of the few left who still mail post and parcels!, must say its nothing like what it used to be at the Bexhill main P O, the queue used to be out the door when we first moved here. I started writing to a penfriend in the 1980s and we still correspond regularly, exchange birthday cards et al, must say I'd miss that if I stopped hearing from her and other friends who still write.
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I write like No 2 in the left-handed writing link. And it smudges every time.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

As usual I am one of the last to pick up on the Famous five stationery! I will probably buy the postcards - it would be a nice addition to my postcard collection as I have been looking for Famous Five cards for years.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have pre-ordered a set of the postcards from Amazon, Francis. The expected delivery date is 12th September.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

I will either do the same or order it through Waterstones, Eddie. I think they sound quite exciting!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

John Pickup wrote:
I write like No 2 in the left-handed writing link. And it smudges every time.
We had to use ink pens in my junior school.We could use the school's ink pens or use our own.
It had to be navy ink - was that the same for other schools too?
We all had to write in the school's approved form of handwriting too.
I remember left handers were given a particularly hard time and received no understanding for the difficulty they had writing.
You have my sympathies John.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've been trying to remember what style of joined up writing our primary school taught in the 70s and can't remember the name. It was an odd jumble of joined letters and none joined letters. For example, we never joined f,p,y etc and they didn't have curly tails. The lowercase z was curly like a figure 3 almost. Maybe some teachers on here might know what I'm talking about, lol!

When I was teacher training in the 2000s I wrote a small z in that style on the board and was immediately told by the teachers observing that they had never ever seen a z written like that before, so I had to start writing a normal z!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote:The lowercase z was curly like a figure 3 almost. Maybe some teachers on here might know what I'm talking about, lol!
I write my lowercase z's like that and I learned to write in an Australian state primary school in the late 1980s! :D The style we were made to copy was called "Victorian Modern Cursive" (Victorian as in the state of Victoria where we lived, not as in the era). Actually, I still write very much like that, curly z's and all...

Here it is, just as we were taught it:

Back on topic - I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the Famous Five postcards when you get them, especially what the images are and what the quality is like (and whether they're worth the price!). I'm thinking of them as a possible birthday or Christmas present for my sister.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Courtenay. :-) Yes - that's how we used to write back in the 1970's. I still write pretty much the same way now except I tend to join more of the letters these days. Still definitely do the curly z!

Regards the stationary - I'm very tempted to get it and would also like to hear more about content and quality. Maybe once it's released, Amazon will show more details of the designs etc. No doubt I would keep them and never use them, but they would be a nice addition to my EB collection! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That script is more or less how I was taught too.. in the 1940s. I remember an alternative to the 'f' which had two loops and looked like a squashed '8' with a line protruding from the middle which would join onto the next letter, if there was one.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member