Favourite comic moments?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Re: Favourite comic moments?

Post by Spitfire »

Stephen wrote:
Meddle was the first person who came to my mind! There's the one from 'Merry Mister Meddle' where Aunt Jemima forbids him to go out to the shop to get some sweets because she's holding a special tea that afternoon - and it's also too foggy. But he sneaks out anyway when he's supposed to be getting changed, and inevitably gets lost on the way back. After being unable to find his house, he decides to knock on the door of a random person to see if they can help...

"Please," said Meddle, "I'm lost in the fog. I want to get home quickly because my aunt is having a very nice tea - so could you tell me where I live?"

"Yes," said the person at the door, and a hand came out and boxed him smartly on the ear. "You live here!"
Ha ha! I don't remember that one. Brilliant! :lol:
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

Five Go Off to Camp has quite a few laugh out moments, particularly Anne’s “volcano” incident. But this one below I’ve always found very funny:
It was pleasant sitting there, eating and talking, and drinking lime-juice and stream water. They were all tired, and it was nice to think of the cosy sleeping-bags. Timmy lifted his head and gave a vast yawn, showing an enormous amount of teeth.
'Timmy! I could see right down to your tail then!' said George. 'Do shut your mouth up. You've made us all yawn.'
I also like this one from Five On Kirrin Island Again:
This was the longest speech Martin had ever made to the four children! His face lost its dull, bored look as he spoke, and became bright and cheerful.
'O -- you want to be an artist, I suppose?' said Anne. 'I would like that too!'
'Anne! you can't even draw a cat that looks like one!' said Dick, scornfully. 'And when you drew a cow I thought it was an elephant.'
rosy_posy

Post by rosy_posy »

My absolute favourite scene in any Enid Blyton book is in In the Fifth at Malory Towers where Mam'zelle plays her trick with the false teeth and everyone's totally appalled at her horrific teeth - and she ends up having to talk to some parents with them in! Oh dear, I'm laughing thinking about it even now!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

In The Rubadub Mystery Loony brings another dog to the beach each day. One day a mongrel with very short legs turned up. Snubby said, "If its legs were much shorter they wouldn't touch the ground". And in the same book, Snubby asks Miss Twitt if she can hear the dicky bird twittering outside. I thought there was quite a lot of humour in that book.
Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Apart from the scenes that have already been mentioned, here are some other good FF comic moments:

* Anne chucking a bucket of water over Wilfrid in Book 20
* Julian dousing Stinker and Edgar with a hosepipe in Run Away
* Uncle Quentin emerging from his caravan confinement in Wonderful Time
* Sid's cameo role in Fall into Adventure
* The monkey pelting everyone with raisins in Demon's Rocks

There's also some funny scenes at the circus camp in Caravan. It's been a while since I read it so the details are hazy, but I remember the doggy football match and the chimp stealing the ball and hiding atop one of the vans: that whole episode is funny.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ah yes - I love Sid the paper-boy in Fall Into Adventure and I can't help grinning when he says, "I'm partial to chocolate mould...The things I'm partial to I like very much, see?"

The mention of Run Away Together has reminded me of Julian's wonderfully witty repartee when confronted by the nasty Sticks, especially the part where Mr. Stick says, "Now look 'ere!" and Julian replies, in a tone of amazement, "You surely don't want me to look at you again. What for? Have you shaved yet - or washed? I'm afraid not. So, if you don't mind I think I'd rather not look at you." I remember reading that passage out to my sister when we were children - we were in hysterics over it.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

There was a great scene in Smuggler's Top where Lenoir was listening for Timmy barking. "Seagulls mew like a cat, so maybe they can bark like a dog" was one comical line.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I love this scene, featuring Fatty and Mr Goon from The Mystery of the Strange Bundle when he and Fatty are exploring Mr Fellows ransacked house:

'Look, look - what's that - over there! LOOK OUT!'

Mr Goon was so anxious to get out as well as to look out that he almost fell over Fatty, trying to rush out the room. Fatty clutched him as he went.

'It's all right! It's all right! I just caught sight of you in that mirror over there, Mr Goon, and it was just a dreadful sight I thought it must be someone lying in wait for us. Gosh, thank goodness it was only your reflection!'
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Some great examples - especially the reflection one! Love it when Fatty cheeks Goon! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I love the exchange between Snubby and the Great Uncle about the Green Hands Gang! Rilloby Fair Mystery was the funniest Barney Mystery book for me. :)

Mr Goon following the FFO to a picnic thinking they were meeting Luke, and then threatening to tell Inspector Jenks about them was hilarious too. Mr Goon has the best scenes, always. :D

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

I also thought of a funny episode in Smugglers Top: this is the one where Sooty and the boys trap Block in the curtain on the staircase. The humour carries on into the scene where they face the music from Mr Lenoir, with Sooty pretending it may have been him who'd given Block a nip on the ankle... :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

My son used to roar with laughter at 'Brer Wolf's Trick' in Five-Minute Tales. Brer Wolf brings Brer Rabbit the news that Brer Fox is dead. Brer Rabbit goes to Brer Fox's house and sees him lying motionless on his bed. Being suspicious, Brer Rabbit says loudly, "This is mighty funny. Brer Fox looks as if he's dead, but he doesn't act as if he is. Dead foxes always kick up their hind leg and shout 'Wahoo!' when anyone comes to see them." You can guess what happens next!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Mr Tubby in Rubadub Mystery always makes me laugh, when Loony sees him waddle into the dining room for the first time, looking all cross and grumpy, with his big jowls that he raises above his teeth to growl, and the way he plonks himself down on his rug and gives a big sigh that goes along the floor like a draught. :D
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I think most of the Barney books are rich in humour. Most of it centred around Snubby.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

In Five Go Off in a Caravan I like the part where Pongo meets Timmy and after shaking paws with him, goes round the back and shakes Timmy's tale. That's something I'd like to witness first hand.
Society Member