Mint 1st editions v reading copies

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Mint 1st editions v reading copies

Post by John Pickup »

I've seen a dust wrapper described as very good and a large chunk of the spine was missing. That was on ebay. As I've said before, the wrapper is important to me. I'm not bothered if the pages are foxed or tanned as long as I can read them.
Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

It's a question of degree as I do like a decent spine with reasonably clear pages with perhaps the odd spot of foxing rather more than merely having a intact fairly bright dust jacket on a so-so copy. If I had to, I could source a suitable dust jacket.
Grading on the bay is hit and miss as is the case with records and cds in my experience.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

If money was no object I would order every single book I want right now!

They don't have to be firsts and they certainly don't have to be mint condition. I like a book to have the dust wrapper most of the time, purely because the pictures on them are as lovely as the ones in the book, and they finish the book of nicely. I don't mind if a book isn't in the best condition just as long as it's readable, got no loose pages and isn't falling to bits, having said that if that waste only condition I could find a certain story, I would take it.

I don't mind price clipping and I like having inscriptions in the books, they have almost as much history as the book itself, it personalises them and wondering about the faces and lives beyond those names is fascinating.

I don't mind if an edition isn't a first as long as it's original with no altered text, images, names or anything, in short I want it as Enid wrote it and her illustrator drew it.

I don't collect to make money from the books, beyond selling duplicates on eBay to earn a bit towards the next lot!, or as an investment for the future, I collect purely because I'm a lifelong fan of EB and her books and I want to own as many of her books as I possibly can.

All my books are going to be read because that is what I want them for and that is what books are designed for. I think if something is so precious and valuable it can only be put on a shelf or in a cabinet to be admired you might as well not bother having it as you can't really enjoy it in any way. Glass and porcelian ornaments are the only things that belong stuck on a shelf to look pretty, model trains are meant to go round on a track, teddy bears are meant to be cuddled, dolls are meant to have their hair brushed and books are meant to be read!!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

I'm not with books being just put in cabinets and can assure you my dollies and teddies are enjoyed for their intend use. Free the stuffies!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Katharine wrote:Why not green ink?
Otherwise it might be a false inscription added by a certain unscrupulous dealer in order to make it seem older and therefore more valuable.

(Referring to the famous series of fake Enid Blyton signatures done in green ink http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... nk+#p64880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I definitely agree! I've read all my Blyton books, even when sometimes they've cost me £30 + and I've done all the Famous Five, Find Outer and Noddy puzzles I have...as well as played all the games. I bought the Treasure Quest game for £90 but still played it (once) and I've played all the Enid Blyton card games (Faraway Tree, Secret Seven, Famous Five, Find Out!) - even when one cost £50! These things were meant to be used, not shoved into a cupboard or onto a shelf.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I read my books and I play with my games, too. What's the point, otherwise? A lot of my books are fairly tatty though, I'll admit that!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Same here... all my books are read and reread (at least occasionally for some!) even the first editions... some of which are well loved and used! I like to see a shelf of colourful spines which the wrappers provide but I still love to see my copies of the Faraway Tree sitting there too, with faded and half detached spines. It shows how well loved they are.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Agreed. I buy books to be read not to be on display.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

John Pickup wrote:I've seen a dust wrapper described as very good and a large chunk of the spine was missing. That was on ebay. As I've said before, the wrapper is important to me. I'm not bothered if the pages are foxed or tanned as long as I can read them.
I'm more appalled by the smell. I make it a rule to air out my newly purchased used EB books page by page, before I put them in my EB bookcase. They indeed loose their smell.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Whereas I love the musty smell of old books! I won two Holiday books with wrappers last week, and when they came I was a bit annoyed that whoever had sold them had sprayed them, rather recently with something like 'Febreze' fabric freshener. They smelled awful! I'd much rather have a good old musty book smell. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob, just open a new page every day and hold it down with something heavy enough, so they stay open. The Fabreze will dissipate soon.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I don't usually mind the smell of old books either... the thing I really can't stand is the smell of cigarette smoke on a book. :x Mercifully, with the decline in smoking in more recent years, that doesn't happen as often as it used to!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Don't mind:

1) Foxing, pages turn to brown. I don't mind pages turn to brown at all. This is the usual characteristic when you buy old books.
2) Old musty smell or Febreze smell.
3) Crack hinge as long as the book is still intact with no loose paper and the binding is still firm.
4) No wrapper if that is what I am looking for for that particular book in the first place.
5) Slight water mark.
6) When I want wrapper, I don't mind chip and small closed tear. Decent crease or fold to a degree. I prefer when the seller laminates the wrapper. Easy task for me ahead.
7) Tear pages meaning that the page is torn a bit but the page is still there and does not come out.
8 ) Inscription, name of the previous owner.
9) The illustrations have been coloured by the previous owner. That is when owners have coloured them nicely.
10) The usual library mark is expected and I don't mind if the book is described as such.

Do mind: Things that put me off.

1) No spine even though the book is still in tact. Won't buy.
2) Smell of cigarette smoke. I hate the smell of books when the smell of smoke and the natural old musty smell blend together. Unpleasant.
3) Exorbitant price. Unusually high price compared to other similar edition/version with relatively similar condition in online market. Obviously, the seller has not done his research when it comes to pricing or has been succumbed to greed.
4) When I want wrapper, I want them to be intact with no large tear, torn or easily disintegrate. And wrinkle.
5) Damp books.
6) Torn pages.
7) Large scribbling.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Look at the state of this 'stop gap' Blyton book!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NODDY-GOES-TO ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps has anyone seen this before?

A Guide To Identifying 1st Edition Noddy Books by Enid Blyton

A Guide To Identifying First Edition
Noddy Books
printed guide from compiled notes
updated in 2013
You will receive stapled sheets of paper
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Guide-To-Id ... Swi0RXzUL6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member