Five Go To Demon's Rocks

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Five Go To Demon's Rocks

Post by pete9012S »

A great choice,they blend into the salty,seaweed,iodine yarn perfectly! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I was never really keen on Demon's Rocks, maybe I should give it a re-read as I've not read it in quite a while!
Moonraker wrote:In my 2013 edition, Julian uses PayPal.... :twisted:
That sounds strange. Glad I've not got the updated versions!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'm hoping very much that Nigel was joking about Paypal!!

I rather like this book. I really liked the atmosphere of the lighthouse, especially when the wind whips the tablecloth out of the children's hands. Thrilling!
Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

As much as I enjoy the yarn, the idea of Jeremiah and the kids are walking in the tidal tunnels under the bed of the sea at low tide hearing the sound of the sea above them always makes me smile (I.e at the physical impossibility of it...)

I've been reading one of those modern retro versions with the Soper drawings. Even though the kids buy Jeremiah sweets, there are still plenty of references to him smoking baccy (and none to him sucking sweets), so it's all a bit incongruous.
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

pete9012S wrote:Well,I've just watched and compared the two TV versions of Demon's Rocks back to back.
I did not see either when young for some strange reason and I have to say for me,the 90's version is my favourite.
You inspired me to do like wise and whilst I have to agree with you in that the 90's series does stay true to the original story I find the acting of Marco Williamson absolutely horrendous. He really does ham it up as Julian to such an extent that I'm often forced to wonder if it's a parody!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Maggie Knows wrote: I've been reading one of those modern retro versions with the Soper drawings. Even though the kids buy Jeremiah sweets, there are still plenty of references to him smoking baccy (and none to him sucking sweets), so it's all a bit incongruous.
Hmmm... I'd guess what the editors were objecting to, then, was children buying tobacco products (which is now illegal), rather than the references to tobacco per se.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

What they did was give the shopkeeper some money so Jeremiah could pick up his "sweets" later from the shop.

I haven't got an original version to hand - I assume that this is what they did originally but with tobacco ? (in which case, did they actually buy the baccy, or just leave money for Jeremiah to buy it ?)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes they paid for the tobacco and the shopkeeper said that he would give it to Jeremiah the next time he came in. They could probably have taken it away with them if they had wanted to. I remember in the 70s going to the shop for my grandfather's cigarettes and being served no problem. The law didn't begin cracking down until about the 80s if I remember rightly. So the Five in the 50s would have had no restrictions.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Let's hope youngsters don't read Sherlock Holmes - how would they cope with the drug taking?
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sorry to go off topic, but when I was a kid in the late 50's and early sixties, we used to go around knocking on people's doors and asking them if they wanted us to go to the shop for their ciggies. We were sold them too, no problem, then when we handed them over we used to get money for going for them!! :lol:

It was certainly a different world back then!!

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I'm sure there is at least one other instance of some children buying tobacco (or maybe it was cigarettes) for someone in one of the books, but I can't for the life of me remember which book it is, nor indeed which children. I have a suspicion it might be the Secret Seven, but I could be wrong. I just have the feeling I've read about that scenario somewhere else other than in Demon's Rocks.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I believe Anne buys a packet of cigarettes as a Christmas present for Mr. Roland in Five Go Adventuring Again.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Fatty buys some in pantomime cat for one of the characters, I think and then declares that he won't smoke until he's 21!
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Maggie Knows wrote:As much as I enjoy the yarn, the idea of Jeremiah and the kids are walking in the tidal tunnels under the bed of the sea at low tide hearing the sound of the sea above them always makes me smile (I.e at the physical impossibility of it...)

Apparently Cornish miners could hear the sea on the rocks above as they tunneled out a considerable way under the sea. Their bravery and skill in doing this made Cornish miners highly sought after around the world. I heard this on a tv programme (Coast, I think).

Jack
Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Hi

The problem here though is that the sea is connected to the tunnel (because it fills with water when the tide is in).

So, if they can hear the sea above them, the water should rush in and fill the tunnel...