Finniston Farm: really quite poor

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Soenke Rahn

Re: Finniston Farm: really quite poor

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Wolfgang wrote:I like Finniston farm. I think it was the third audiobook I listened to (1979), I read the book much later. Unfortunately the audiobook didn't feature George's succesful attempt in curing Junior's bad habit.
One of the great benefits of this book is that there actually is no villain. I also learned when William the Conqueror invaded England. The downside is that this book is the shortest of Enid's Famous Five full novels.
Yes it is great. As I was a kid, I got the audio dram as a bounty to go to a doctor or something like this, I suppose. :-)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always liked Finniston Farm - loved the atmosphere, and I feel it's definitely one of the strongest of the later Famous Fve books. I love the fact that it's based on a real place - the farm belonging to Enid.

I'm not sure which audio version is being talked about here, but I have the audio version dated 1998 narrated by Nick McArdle, with Jo Thurley as George and Scarlett Strallen (now quite famous!) as Anne. Its a really beautiful adaptation, with a lovely wistful atmosphere - definitely worth listening to. I think this tape version has definitely influenced me regards liking the book!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

rereading Finniston Farm at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. I guess we all have different tastes and faves/least faves but I've always liked Finniston Farm from my first reading, about 15 years ago. I love the atmosphere, and despite some of the points made earlier, such as the boys having to sleep in the barn, I love the feeling of being on holiday, the every day routines, trips to the village, walks and rides around the farm. It's a lovely 'sunny' book and a 'feel good' book also.

Hearing that some people rate this book as low as the 'second worst Famous Five' after 'Together Again really surprises me. I would definitely rate it above 'Secret Trail', 'Mystery To Solve' and 'Together Again' and probably quite a few others too.

I think one of the things I like about it is that the 'villains' are realistic - not exactly villains but the type of people anyone might come across who might threaten the safety/future/history of a farm because they have money. I don't agree that this plot is 'jingoistic' as was suggested earlier - in the 1950's this was often how American's were depicted in movies - believing that their money could buy the world. After all, London Bridge was bought by an American back in the 1960's!

All in all - I love Finniston Farm - such a pleasant summery read even if it's not thrillingly adventurous.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Maggie Knows wrote:Last night I got to the bit where Great-Granddad is talking about the old cartwheel, how its more than 200 years old, and how his Great-grand-dad made it and made him promise never to sell it etc.

Now, we know GGD is 90 years old, and supposing he was say 5 when he was told about it by his GGD, then that information was passed on 85 years before the time of the story.

Assuming his GGD was about 20 when he made the wheel (it's a big wheel, I cant see how anyone younger would have the skills or strength to make such a thing) then unless his GGD was at least 135 years old at the time of telling the story to his great-grandson, the numbers don't seem to add up...
I disagree and think it's certainly possible, looking at my own family situation.

If I live to be 90, that will be in the year 2061. My Granddad on my dad's side was born in 1891. His dad (my Great Granddad) was born in 1841, by 2061 that would be 220 years ago, making him 20 years old when he made a 200 year old cart wheel.

Yeah - I need to get out more - but I just wondered if it was possible!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

However hard I try, I cannot like this book because of Junior. I wish he'd turned up in a FFO book. I wouldn't have minded Goon hitting him with a poker.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I can understand that in a way, but actually having read half of the book so far, he doesn't make that much of an impression, personally. I'm surprised he's the main reason you dislike the book. He's always definitely the 'baddy' and gets his comeuppance more than once, which I enjoy.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

‘Why so stiff and haughty'’ whispered Dick, putting on a face exactly like the twins. Anne giggled. They all followed the twins, who were dressed exactly alike in navy shorts and navy shirts. They went right down the long hall, passed a stairway, round a dark corner, and into an enormous kitchen, which was obviously used as a sitting-room as well.

I'm enjoying a re-read of this book in a pastoral setting very similar to the books.
With sheep,horses and nosy cows right at the bottom of the garden where we are staying.

I did notice a textual change about the twins clothing which I didn't pick up on when I first read this paperback back in the early 1970's.

I know this book irritates a lot of readers,but I like it.I like the fact it was only published in 1960,a mere seven years before I was born,making me feel somehow more connected to this work than the early 1940's Treasure Island from a historical perspective - as if I wasn't many years away from the golden age when new Famous Five books were still being published and immediately devoured!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've always really enjoyed Five On Finniston Farm and find it difficult to see why many people don't enjoy it! I guess we can't all like the same things. The only Five's books I'm really not keen on are Secret Trail, Mystery To Solve and Together Again - and even those have aspects I like.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

I quite like Finniston Farm as well. The storyline with the medieval castle and ruins is decent and there are some good characters. I like the two twins Harriet and Henry, but I can't stand the arrogant, rude and greedy Mr Henning and his son Junior. It all makes the book work well though.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always think Enid's own personal dislike of Americans shines through in this story!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Another Finniston Farm fan here. It's a decent story and the setting is good. Given the various plot elements the whole thing could have been a lot more gripping but for a late era FF it works well. Enid certainly showcases the absolute worst of Americans here; Mr Henning is actually a bit like Donald Trump now I think of it. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Good comparison John! :lol: :lol:
I really like Five on Finniston Farm , it's a great book and Enid Blyton makes the adventure a very exciting and effective one. The setting, the characters are very good,( in their own style) ;). Very good book!!
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

Agreed. I’m definitely a fan too. But EB’s portrayal of Berta and her father in Five Have Plenty of Fun showcases the very best in Americans; Berta’s pop, Elbur Wright, makes me think of Bill Clinton, charming and relatable, a grown up Tom Sawyer in my mind. Because of these two contrasting portrayals, I can’t see it as a reflection of EB’s true feelings, whatever those might be. She was just remarkably good at drawing characters, probably from people she met (I don’t suppose though it was Wilbur Wright of airplane fame for Berta’s pop!).
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Of course, Enid would recognise there were all types of Americans and she chose to characterise them in different ways. I was simply going by the fact that she generally disliked America and the American way of life, as she visited America only once and wasn't a fan. She writes about it in 'The Queen Elizabeth Family' and its quite plain to see that she found America not to her taste and found many Americans to be overbearing and loud. Of course, the 'flashy, fast, garish, mercenary American stereotype was a common myth in England at the time.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I'm another fan of Finniston Farm. I love the quaint farm setting and the little village with the antique shop, and I love the medieval treasure/castle plot. I'm not sure if I'm being influenced by the 90s FF episode (even though I read the book many times as a child, LONG before I saw the episode) but I always imagine vast expanses of lush green grass where the castle stood, just as its shown in the episode.

Talking of Americans, I know that Zerelda (Malory Towers) was meant to be a loud, brash American but I always really liked her and warmed to her because she was described as having a great sense of humour, so Enid was definitely portraying her in a good light by giving her a great temperament!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member