Finniston Farm: really quite poor

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Katharine

Re: Finniston Farm: really quite poor

Post by Katharine »

It's quite a while since I read this book, so I don't remember all the details mentioned here, but I do remember that as a child it was one of the ones I liked the least. I'm not really sure why, possibly because it was one of the last FF books I read, so was possibly getting a bit too old to appreciate it. Secondly, it had the Betty Maxby illustrations which I could never take to.

As for the plot, the bits I do remember, such as the obnoxious American boy, and the surly twins, didn't really appeal to me. Although I do seem to remember enjoying the bit when George took the breakfast try up, and made it such an unpleasant experience, that Junior decided to come downstairs in future.
Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Apart from the awkward opening here are the other things I don't like about this one:
  • There's no villain: Hemming lack taste, is rude and a poor role model for his son, but he's not actually a wrong-doer as such
    There's a slight whiff of jingoism about the story-line: given how much foreign loot lies in British museums and stately homes, who are the Brits to judge?
    George once again relegated to a fairly minor role, breakfast tray notwithstanding
    Tunnel to the dungeons found too easily: the 'adventure' ends as soon as gets started really
I mentioned on another thread recently that there are some similarities between the Treasure Hunters plot and this one. Hemming = Potts; Mr Finniston = Mr Frost; a quick dash to find the treasure before the rich-man finds it, and the farm/property can be saved.

Finniston Farm is an updated but somewhat impoverished version of Treasure Hunters, I contend.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I always liked Finniston Farm. It has a pleasant rural atmosphere and a reasonably engaging plot. The Hennings make good "baddies" as they are people whom it is very easy to dislike. The one problem I had with it was how unrealistic the finding of the lost castle site is. If I remember correctly historians have searched without success for donkey's years and then one morning the Five stroll up the hill and locate the spot about ten minutes later. :lol:

But for me this remains one of the better "later" FF books.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
StephenC

Post by StephenC »

I agree that Five Go To Finniston Farm was quite poor. In fact, I rate it as the second poorest of the series, behind the very poor finale to the series, Five Are Together Again.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

I loved Finniston Farm as I do all Enid Blytons.-- I especially liked the description of the old, old, chapel-- which is still full of prayer as old Mr. Finniston says. The twins were hostile in the beginning but become very friendly ,when they realise the Five really like to help are are fond of the twins' mother.It's a very enjoyable story written in the way only Enid Blyton can . :) :) :)
yarvelling
Favourite book/series: Adventure, FF, and Barney/R series
Favourite character: Loony and Kiki

Post by yarvelling »

This is one of those books that are great fun when you're reading it, but afterwards, it feels a bit 'thin'; hollow.... it's one that I need reminding of the plot before I remember what it was about. There's nothing that stands out in the way that some of the earlier books do, but it's still a good read at the time :)
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I don't know that I'd describe Finniston Farm as poor, but I wouldn't describe it as one of the greats, either, and I certainly don't agree with the Five's own assessment that it was their most exciting adventure ever! I can think of quite a few books (Smuggler's Top, Fall Into Adventure, On Kirrin Island Again - in fact, pretty much any of the first ten and one or two after that as well) that are far more exciting than this one!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
yarvelling

Post by yarvelling »

I think the actual 'adventure' part of this was a little too slight, and not strong enough. The five managed to find the treasure with no real difficulty, and all too quickly. There wasn't the usual layered plots that we'd maybe become used to; threatened kidnapping, and then the wrong person being taken, or having to find crafty ways to get into tunnels that lead to Kirrin Island whilst kidnappers are planning to blow the place up along with hostages, etc. etc.
The build up was good though, and gave the usual five having a great time wherever they went, helping out where necessary, and just being the Five that we all know and love!!
However, even as a youngster, I didn't feel that this one was as good or clever as the other FF books that I'd already read. Apart from starting with the first, I rarely got to read them in order - it was just how they came out and appeared on the shelves in Woolies or Smiths!! But I could tell that this was somehow 'thinner' than the others. Newer ones that followed soon made up for it though, even if they were older stories, or later ones; I neither knew nor cared, as long as it was good, and exciting!! :)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Yeah, it was pretty quick the way they found the kitchen midden etc, it might have worked a little better if it had been worked backwards, ie they went for a stroll and Timmy dug up some random old bones, and then they wondered why bones would be there, looked into it a bit more and discovered that it could have been the midden, and then wondered if the castle could have been nearby, and from there they could have dug and looked for the passage just the same as they did anyway, and Junior could have overheard and told his dad etc, just as he does anyway.

It just wouldn't have seemed so easy if they had found the bones first and then deduced that the castle could be there, rather than deciding to look for the castle and conveniently finding the midden almost right away. :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I like Finniston farm. I think it was the third audiobook I listened to (1979), I read the book much later. Unfortunately the audiobook didn't feature George's succesful attempt in curing Junior's bad habit.
One of the great benefits of this book is that there actually is no villain. I also learned when William the Conqueror invaded England. The downside is that this book is the shortest of Enid's Famous Five full novels.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
yarvelling

Post by yarvelling »

Carlotta King wrote:Yeah, it was pretty quick the way they found the kitchen midden etc, it might have worked a little better if it had been worked backwards, ie they went for a stroll and Timmy dug up some random old bones, and then they wondered why bones would be there, looked into it a bit more and discovered that it could have been the midden, and then wondered if the castle could have been nearby, and from there they could have dug and looked for the passage just the same as they did anyway, and Junior could have overheard and told his dad etc, just as he does anyway.

It just wouldn't have seemed so easy if they had found the bones first and then deduced that the castle could be there, rather than deciding to look for the castle and conveniently finding the midden almost right away. :)
Yep!! :) All a bit too *convenient*..... these things are just lying around on the surface waiting to be spotted; it normally takes trained archaeologists a long time and painstaking wok to make these finds, but not so for the FF; they find it within 10 minutes of having a poke around, and then find the remains of, and entrance to the castle all within one afternoon! :roll:
Well, I suppose that Enid had to simplify things for younger readers, but I think your way Cathy, would have been better and more realistic!
In a small village not far from me is the ruin of a Norman manor house (Weeting Castle). No-one has yet found the midden, or the original site of the well - although one of our group did dowse for it and seems to have found a very likely location for it. As the place is owned by English Heritage we can't just go digging , sadly!! :lol:
It's a lovely old place though, and very haunted! We've had quite a few encounters there, taken several full apparition photos and recorded some remarkable audio (EVPs) from there!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm sure my wife and this chap could find any artifacts!
Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

yarvelling wrote: Yep!! :) All a bit too *convenient*..... these things are just lying around on the surface waiting to be spotted; it normally takes trained archaeologists a long time and painstaking wok to make these finds, but not so for the FF; they find it within 10 minutes of having a poke around, and then find the remains of, and entrance to the castle all within one afternoon! :roll:
Well, I suppose that Enid had to simplify things for younger readers, but I think your way Cathy, would have been better and more realistic!
In a small village not far from me is the ruin of a Norman manor house (Weeting Castle). No-one has yet found the midden, or the original site of the well - although one of our group did dowse for it and seems to have found a very likely location for it. As the place is owned by English Heritage we can't just go digging , sadly!! :lol:
It's a lovely old place though, and very haunted! We've had quite a few encounters there, taken several full apparition photos and recorded some remarkable audio (EVPs) from there!
I just looked up Weeting Castle, that's certainly an atmospheric old ruin isn't it! How amazing that you've picked up lots of activity there and got photos!
Shame you couldn't take a dog with you who would 'conveniently dig a hole' in the grounds and find the midden!! :lol: :lol:
I wonder if English Heritage would be interested if you approached them and explained that you had dowsed the well? Surely they would have to take it seriously, as dowsing for water is a well-used method?

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I didn't know Noddy Holder was into archaeology.. :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

I thought it was John McCririck at first glance til I looked properly!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Society Member