Five Go Adventuring Again

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Five Go Adventuring Again

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:In case the 'language barrier' has intervened, it was just an observation, Chrissie, not an 'admonishment'!
Glad to hear that, old lad. :wink:
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

:D
Society Member
Owl's Dene

Post by Owl's Dene »

As an adult this book is my favourite followed by Five on Kirrin Island Again (note correct spelling Fions, as done on PC this time)!
What I love about it is the character of Mr Roland, he is so creepy as others have said. Yes he does groom Anne and Quentin. I presume Quentin is over awed that someone is interested in his research and able to discuss it with him. I seem to remember something along the lines of "An older man, experienced and even knew of my work...." So Roland flatters Quentin and gets his trust that way. I remember as well the Christmas scenes with Roland saying: "Let me carve Mr Quentin, I'm good at that". Very creepy stuff.
I think the adult characters are more fleshed out in some of the earlier stories making them more appealing to adults. As a child Mystery Moor, Get into a Fix and Mystery to Solve were my favourites.
I also like Soper's illustrations for this book, especially her depiction of a brooding and quite sexy Uncle Quentin.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its interesting what you say regards this book maybe appealing more to adults. Although I never read it as a child, I first read it in my 20s and found it to be one of the weaker books. However, I read it again quite recently and really enjoyed it. Although Mr Roland is quite an obvious villain in some ways, the characterisation is quite detailed and creepy as you say - he has many different layers which I missed the first time round - and is quite manipulative and controlling - something none of the other Famous Five baddies seem to be.

Interesting observation about Sopers depiction of Uncle Quentin as 'sexy' - I can see what you mean, and it also made me think about her other depictions. Most of her women are homely types and not sexy or even very attractive in any way - in fact usually extremely unattractive - about the nearest she gets is Maggie Martin in Five on a Hike - but she certainly can't be described as 'sexy' in any way, or maybe the occasional fairly glamorous illustration of Aunt Fanny. Her male depictions on the other hand are usually very manly, tough, 'sexy' well dressed or scruffy, but always extremely masculine. It seems she preferred to draw the male characters rather than the female ones. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Owl@s Dene wrote:As an adult this book is my favourite followed by Five on Kirrin Island Again (note correct spelling Fions, as done on PC this time)!

I wouldn't worry,most of us here don't even notice the odd spelling mistake. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Robert Houghton wrote:Its interesting what you say regards this book maybe appealing more to adults.
I think that is an excellent point. I also think that our increased awareness of grooming makes this a stronger story that, perhaps, Enid envisaged.
Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Anyone else dusted this on off for some festive reading?
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I was going to read 'Fix', but I've now opted to go for Adventuring again...for the 3rd consecutive year! I'll start reading it late Xmas eve & into the early hours of Xmas day. :D
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

Yes, 'Adventuring Again' is always a good read during the Christmas period and so is 'Fix' as others have said. Sly old Mr Roland really does give me shivers though with the way he treats poor George and Timmy.
I really felt sorry for them and disappointed with the other children and adults for being taken in by such a manipulative man. At least, the book concludes on a positive note and Mr Roland gets the comeuppance he deserves :D
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Adventuring Again isn't one of my favourite Five books but I do remember being frightened by Mr Roland when I first read it many years ago. He's a creepy, controlling, manipulative man and credit to Enid for creating a character her readers detested.
Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

It's one of my favorites, because of the underground passages and panels in the old farm building. They fascinated me as a child and still do.
I also enjoy the snow setting.
For me the FF don't have to have adventures in the Easter or summer hols only.
But I like those best which take place (partly or entirely) on Kirrin Island.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Chrissie777 wrote: But I like those best which take place (partly or entirely) on Kirrin Island.
Me too. Enid could have made a lot more of Kirrin Island in my opinion. Just occasional visits maybe rather than whole stories. I think there's quite a gap in using the island after Five on Kirrin Island Again.

Adventuring Again is special because of it's snowy Christmas setting (the only major series book to describe Christmas Day?) Mr Roland is genuinely dislikable but I don't think it's a particularly exciting book. Rather we learn a lot more about the characters and geography of Kirrin from this book.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree I don't really find 'Adventuring Again' very exciting. I love the family details, the progression of the characters, the setting. Its quite a psychological book compared to many Enid wrote - getting into the mind of Mr Roland in particular - but as has been said - not very exciting as stories go.

I too love stories about Kirrin Island...although occasionally I think the links are forced. I never understood why the kidnapped child's trunk of clothes were hidden on the deck of George's shipwreck, for example - seems a bit far fetched, lol. I think the island could indeed have been used more often though - but maybe Enid used it as often as was possible - there are only a few ways an island can be 'threatened' such as being bought by baddies, blown up, etc...and used as a hiding place. Once those ideas have all been explored, the island doesn't have much use!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

I wouldn't have Adventuring Again down as one of my favourites either. It's a decent read with the underground passages and panels and I also enjoy the Christmas setting of the book. However, I don't think the plot itself is that exciting when compared to Trouble, Hike or Treasure Island. I also like the adventures when the Five are on Kirrin Island. I've always thought that Kirrin Island again is one of the most underrated books. I think it's a really thrilling plot with George's night time adventure to rescue her dad from the tunnel under the sea where he was conducting his experiments.
Last edited by Deej92 on 12 Dec 2016, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Deej92 wrote:I wouldn't have Adventuring Again down as one of my favourites either. It's a decent read with the underground passages and panels and I also enjoy the Christmas setting of the book. However, I don't think the plot itself is that exciting when compared to Trouble, Hike or Treasure Island. I also like the adventures when the Five are on Kirrin Island. I've always thought that Kirrin Island again is one of the most underrated books. I think it's a really thrilling plot with George's night time adventure to rescue her uncle from the tunnel under the sea where he was conducting his experiments.
I think she rescues her dad.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock