Errors in the books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Errors in books

Post by Fiona1986 »

The admin staff can change usernames. Tony or Anita would do it for you, I'm sure.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, just PM Tony and he will do it for you.

John, right click on Kirrin and select "add to dictionary".
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Kirrin.
Thanks, Nigel. Didn't know you could do that. Sorted now. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Not sure this is an error as such, but talking of Kirrin and Kirrin Island, I noticed that in Five Have Plenty of Fun Anne tells Berta that Kirrin Island "always belonged to the Kirrin family" and that now it belongs to George because "George's father gave it to her after an adventure we once had..." - no mention here of it belonging to George's mother.

Also, on page 57 of the secomd edition, Enid mistakenly gets aunt Fanny mixed up with Sally the dog and calls her Aunt Sally! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

One pointed out at EB Dot Net:

In Holiday House, Pat and Mary ask about the other children staying at the house. Ruth reels off a list that includes "Tessa, the ugliest baby you ever saw". Tessa is a girl's name, yet later in the book, "Tessa" is revealed to be... Maureen's baby brother, not her sister

As i said there, Enid didn't do drafts and her continuity could be poor as a result. She either forgot that Tessa was a baby girl, or accidentally gave a baby boy a baby girl's nickname.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Robert Houghton wrote:Also, on page 57 of the secomd edition, Enid mistakenly gets aunt Fanny mixed up with Sally the dog and calls her Aunt Sally! :-)
It's the same in the fourth edition that I have.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

There are lots of things like this in the St Clare's books, but this one has always stuck out for me.

From Summer Term at St Clare's:
[NB: this is taking place in the middle of the night, in the mistresses' common room]

Bobby went into the room at once, and Prudence was so started that she dropped the grammar book on the floor. She stared at Bobby and Carlotta with horror.

"What are you doing?" said Bobby, so angry that she forgot to whisper. "Cheating?"

"No, I'm not," said Prudence, making up her mind to brazen it out. "I just came to look something up in the French grammar book, ready for the test tomorrow. So there!"

Carlotta darted to the desk and picked up the list of questions. "See, Bobby," she cried. "She is cheating! Here are the test questions!"

Bobby looked at Prudence with the utmost scorn. "What a hypocrite you are, Prudence!" she said. "You go about pretending to be so good and religious and proper - and yet you sneak and cheat whenever you get a chance. You look down on Carlotta because she was a circus girl - but I tell you, we look down on you because you are all the things people hate worse than any other in school, or in life - you are cunning, deceitful, untruthful - and an out-and-out cheat!"

These were terrible things to hear. Prudence burst out sobbing, and put her head down on the desk. A pile of books upset and fell with thuds to the floor. Nobody noticed the noise they made, for all three girls were too wrapped up in what was happening.

It so happened that Miss Theobald's bedroom was just below the mistresses' common room. She heard the succession of thuds and wondered what the noise could be. She thought she heard the sound of voices too. She switched on her light and looked at her watch. It was a quarter past two! Whoever could be up at that time of night?

Miss Theobald put on her dressing gown, tied the girdle firmly around her waist, put on her slippers, and left the room. She went upstairs to the corridor that led to the mistresses' common room. She arrived at the door just in time to hear the end of Bobby's scornful speech. She paused in the greatest astonishment. Whatever could be happening?

...WHAT?! No wonder she's astonished, she keeps flipping between her bedroom and the corridor. Theobald's good, but she's not Dumbledore.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Paul Austin wrote: It so happened that Miss Theobald's bedroom was just below the mistresses' common room. She heard the succession of thuds and wondered what the noise could be. She thought she heard the sound of voices too. She switched on her light and looked at her watch. It was a quarter past two! Whoever could be up at that time of night?

Miss Theobald put on her dressing gown, tied the girdle firmly around her waist, put on her slippers, and left the room. She went upstairs to the corridor that led to the mistresses' common room. She arrived at the door just in time to hear the end of Bobby's scornful speech. She paused in the greatest astonishment. Whatever could be happening?
[/i]

...WHAT?! No wonder she's astonished, she keeps flipping between her bedroom and the corridor. Theobald's good, but she's not Dumbledore.
I'm not sure what your point is Paul. Her bedroom is below the mistresses' commonroom. She is awoken by the thuds of falling books, hears faint voices too, so goes to investigate , getting to the door in time to hear Bobby. At this point she will be opening the door to confront the girls.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I don't see an error in that scene at all! As Daisy says, the teacher merely wakes up, comes upstairs and listens outside the door.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think it is you who is confused, Paul! Her progress is from bedroom>corridor>common room.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Rob Houghton wrote:I don't see an error in that scene at all! As Daisy says, the teacher merely wakes up, comes upstairs and listens outside the door.
I agree with them two! What is it that you mean? :wink:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Lenoir wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:Also, on page 57 of the secomd edition, Enid mistakenly gets aunt Fanny mixed up with Sally the dog and calls her Aunt Sally! :-)
It's the same in the fourth edition that I have.
I've got 3 plenty of funs, a 3rd, 4th and 16th . The third and fourth both have 'Aunt Sally' on that page, but the 16th one has been corrected.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

In 'The Treasure Hunters' which was written in 1940, Granny says that the Greylings Treasure was brought back from India two hundred and fifty years previously, was kept in the family for "some years", and then hidden away when Civil War broke out. So that seems to be suggesting around 1700 at the earliest, but the actual Civil War took place in the 1640s.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I suspect this sort of error appears elsewhere, but my 1974 edition of 'Five on a Secret Trail' mentions Anne brushing dust off her skirt - even though the Betty Maxey illustration on the previous page has her wearing trousers.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

That's what happens when you update the illustrations but not the text! :(
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'