Errors in the books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Errors in the books

Post by deepeabee »

I'm sorry if there is already a topic covering errors in books. I did a quick search and couldn't find it if there is one.
I have just started reading Five on Kirrin Island Again and the fisher boy who looked after Timmy when George couldn't have him at home is called James. In the first book he is called Alf and he's even referred to as Alf in Five go to Smuggler's Top.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Errors in books

Post by Poppy »

There is a topic about Alf/James the fisherboy, here:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... oy#p147956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But other than that, I don't think there's a topic about errors in books, though there is this topic:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... fs#p162016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Famous Five Fluffs)

,which is a disscusion of all errors in the Famous Five books - but this thread could be for any books... :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
deepeabee

Post by deepeabee »

In first book of the Five Find Outers Larry is the oldest but in the last book Fatty is the oldest.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Colette

Post by Colette »

:shock: Really? I never noticed that..

Oh, well, any excuse to read Banshee Towers :D
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

deepeabee wrote:In first book of the Five Find Outers Larry is the oldest but in the last book Fatty is the oldest.
Oh interesting, where in the book is to read that Larry is the oldest? And where in the last book? Can you give me the chapter, please? Would read it. :-)
deepeabee

Post by deepeabee »

In the first book (second chapter) the ages are given as Larry is 13, Fatty, Pip and Daisy are 12, while Bets is 8. Then in the Mystery of Holly Lane in the chapter called 'Marion' Fatty claims to be older. Here is the quote:

They were now cycling quickly home. Pip began to feel uncomfortable. "I say!" he said. "I'm going to get into trouble too — being out late like this."
"I would, as well, if my people didn't happen to be out," said Larry. "You're lucky, Fatty, your people never seem to mind."
"I'm older than you are," said Fatty, "and wiser! If you get into trouble tonight, Pip, just say that something unexpected happened that you can't tell about, but that everything will be explained tomorrow morning."

Sorry it took so long to reply, I knew I'd seen it but as I'd read all the books one after the other, I wasn't sure which one it was in!
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I think Fatty is replying to Pip's comment. That's how I have always read it anyway, 'knowing' Larry is older than Fatty, but I can see how you might interpret it otherwise.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
deepeabee

Post by deepeabee »

I'd always read it that way too but it doesn't make sense. The reply to Larry saying "You're lucky, Fatty, your people never seem to mind." makes more sense. Also, Fatty addresses Pip directly by telling him what to say if he were to get into trouble after he replied to Larry.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I agree - now if Larry's comment had come after Fatty's reply.... but then it wouldn't sound right either! It's a pity Larry ever spoke! In fact the more you think about it, the worse it gets!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My head's spinning..........
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

deepeabee wrote:In the first book (second chapter) the ages are given as Larry is 13, Fatty, Pip and Daisy are 12, while Bets is 8. Then in the Mystery of Holly Lane in the chapter called 'Marion' Fatty claims to be older. Here is the quote:

They were now cycling quickly home. Pip began to feel uncomfortable. "I say!" he said. "I'm going to get into trouble too — being out late like this."
"I would, as well, if my people didn't happen to be out," said Larry. "You're lucky, Fatty, your people never seem to mind."
"I'm older than you are," said Fatty, "and wiser! If you get into trouble tonight, Pip, just say that something unexpected happened that you can't tell about, but that everything will be explained tomorrow morning."

Sorry it took so long to reply, I knew I'd seen it but as I'd read all the books one after the other, I wasn't sure which one it was in!
Thank you for the qoute. Found it in the moment not in the German translation, but if I will find more time I will read betterin it. --- Sorry, in the moment my arm is broken, maybe for 3 or 6 weeks I should drink a lot of milk. So I am not the perfect typewritter. --- so I will not write a lot.--- friendly greetings, Soenke Rahn (Flensburg, Germany
deepeabee

Post by deepeabee »

Sorry to hear about your arm. Hope it tends quickly and well.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is a real error, but I've just started The Mystery of the Invisible Thief and am really enjoying it. I found one thing rather peculiar. We are introduced to the Inspectors goddaughter, Hilary, though at one point she refers to him as her uncle:
"I live at Norton House. Uncle Jenks must have forgotten it's where I live"
Hilary, Chapter 2, The Mystery of the Invisible Thief
Maybe he is her uncle, too, but surely Enid would have described him as her uncle instead of godfather...
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've never heard anyone call an uncle by his surname.... :shock:
Society Member
cranberry
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island book / Faraway Tree series

Post by cranberry »

deepeabee wrote:In the first book (second chapter) the ages are given as Larry is 13, Fatty, Pip and Daisy are 12, while Bets is 8.
Also, in the Mystery of the Secret Room, Larry is still described as the oldest of the Find-Outers:

----------------

“We’d better all sign this card,” said Fatty, producing a very fine fountain pen. Fatty always had the best of everything, and far too much pocket-money. However, he was always willing to share this, so nobody minded.

“Eldest first,” said Fatty, so Larry took the pen. He was thirteen. He signed his name neatly, “Laurence Daykin.”

“I’m next,” said Fatty. “I’m thirteen next week. You’re not thirteen until the New Year, Pip.” He signed his name, “Frederick Algernon Trotteville.”

“I bet you never sign your full initials, Fatty,” said Pip, taking the pen next - “ ‘F.A.T.’ ”

“Well, I don’t,” said Fatty. “You wouldn’t either, if you had my initials and were fat. It would be just asking for trouble.”

Pip signed his name, “Philip Hilton.” Then Daisy signed hers, “Margaret Daykin.”

“Now you, little Bets,” said Fatty, handing her the pen. “Best writing, please.”

Sticking her tongue well out, Bets signed her full name in rather straggling writing, “Elizabeth Hilton,” but after it she wrote, “Bets.”

“Just in case he forgets that Elizabeth is me,” she explained.

---------------------