The Rubadub Mystery

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: The Rubadub Mystery

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's lovely, Anita, a quaint village of thatch cottages and a pub with a thatch roof too. Well it's an Inn actually and you can stay there, just like Rubabdub Inn. So who knows, maybe Enid had been inside the Castle Inn for a drink and had used it as the Inn for Rubadub. That's probably something we'll never know.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

Very interesting; it's exciting to hear that Enid said in a letter that Lulworth was the main inspiration for Rubadub, which I had already listed in my book as likely from the layout and the view of the 'Secret Harbour', and I'll add a note to this effect in my book with acknowledgements.
The view across from 'Rubadub' to the 'Secret Harbour' is clearly that of Portland Harbour SW from Lulworth Cove, about eight-ten miles away; I've photographed this for my book, from the place on the cliffs where I presume Enid saw the view. For those who haven't been there the Harbour is a massive 'lagoon' a mile or so across, with the natural Chesil Beach bank acting as a breakwater to the West, Portland island with its high rock (a bit like Gibraltar) to the South, and a man-made Victorian breakwater protecting it to the East. There are gun-emplacements on the breakwater at each of the entrances, from WW 2; they would have had searchlights too. This was a major naval base until recently, and also the venue for the 2012 Olympics sailing events.
The atmosphere of the book with its spies roaming around the district plus sabotage is very accurate for the late 1940s and 1950s, when secret work was going on at the naval base, the 'Portland Spy Ring' was in operation, and Russians were apparently spying on the scientists. My parents were living in Weymouth and my father was working in Portland Naval Base at the time, so I can vouch that the scenario was accurate! This is the best and most atmospheric of the series for me, with the 'Agatha Christie' mystery of who is the spy at the inn; though I found The Rilloby Fair Mystery more fun. The weakest book of the series was the final one, the Ragamuffin Mystery, where the coincidences are stretched a bit far.
Yes, Robert, I agree that the main physical inspiration for Malory Towers was Lulworth Castle, though there were other local influences too; this will be in my book. My general conclusion about Enid's imaginary scenery is that she usually mixed up two or three places; in the case of Rubadub this was Lulworth plus Swanage.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Interesting points concerning locations. I'm not altogether sure that Lulworth Castle was the main inspiration for MT, but it certainly seems to have influenced the illustrator! It is fascination to read of Enid's admitted inspirations, but like Robert, I think it is only of minor importance as many different locations make up a specific place in a book. I have a very clear image of Rubadub in my mind, and it ain't Lulworth Cove! :)
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always picture Rubadub as an older and quainter version of Swanage myself. I think we all have our own versions of a setting - which is what is so good about Enid's books! Although I can sort of imagine Lulworth and a pier, the strongest image of Rubadub I have is still the one in my imagination!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Exactly, Robert and Nigel. These places are what is in our imagination. My version of Peterswood certainly isn't Bourne End. :lol:

I'm enjoying reading Rubadub knowing that it is only loosely based in Lulworth. As the taxi approaches Enid writes - the little town was set in a semi-circle of cliff, looking out to a small bay.

Yes, Lulworth is a small semi circle of sorts and looks out to sea not to Pool Harbour. Also I believe there is a blow hole in the bay where stair rock is, as I've sat and watched it at high tides. Not big enough for an escape route of course, but it leaves heaps to the imagination of a fine write as Enid was.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just finished reading this book for only the second time. I didn't remember much about it from my first reading, so it was still very fresh for me. I really love this book.

Perhaps the plot line isn't the greatest in the world, in fact nothing really 'happens' until about 3/4 of the way through, but I didn't notice how far I'd got because I was enjoying it so much. I'm not sure I can put into words exactly why I enjoyed it so much.

I think it shows just what a brilliant author Enid was, as it was written for a totally different age group to other classics of hers such as the early FF, The Enchanted Wood series etc. Her style is different, she focuses less on the details of meals, such as she does in the FF, or FFO books, but puts more emphasis on the characters and their feelings. I was especially interested to note the way Barney is feeling rather low after an illness and needs to pour out the loneliness of not having a family - particularly relevant with the current focus in the media on mental health issues/counselling.

The sections where Barney meets the man he thinks is his father, only to be let down almost moved me to tears, I thought it was so well written. I also liked the fact that Miss Pepper initially thinks it is unlikely Barney will ever find his father - a very realistic reaction, and even though she does manage to track him down eventually, I felt the circumstances were thought through.

I thought Enid's portray of Dummy was interesting, from her initial description of him, I would have though he had been born with some kind of genetic condition, but later we are given the impression that his difficulties came from a head injury. I think on the whole, given the era the book was written, she portrayed him quite sympathetically, which I doubt would have been the case at the time, when people who had learning difficulties/disabilities were probably treated quite badly. One criticism I did have of the book though was Barney's change in attitude towards Dummy, just because Mr. Marvel told him he was a spy. I just couldn't imagine Barney believing so readily such an accusation about someone he'd known previously. I was pleased that the balance was kept with Snubby's belief in him. It was also great that Dummy turned out to be such a hero, even if later he 'sobbed like a 3 year old'. A great bit of writing from someone who generally seemed to up hold the 'stiff upper' lip attitude in her writing.

Another aspect I picked up on was the way Enid seemed to be moving with the times, there was talk of Snubby considering a carer in television, mention of penny arcades, dodgem cars and the oh so sinful chewing gum. :D

Whoever criticised her for her 'simple' writing couldn't have read many of her books, this one contained several 'long' or 'difficult' words, in fact there are one or two that I must look up, as I'm not 100% sure of their meaning!

I could probably prattle on for ages, but I'm off to read the next book in the omnibus which is Ragamuffin. I was interested to see the 3 books chosen for this, ie Rockingdown, Rub a Dub and Ragamuffin. Were they picked at random, were they considered her best of the series, or did the editor feel the complemented each other the best?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Strange mixture of books - Rockingdown, Rubadub and Ragamuffin. I would say the only 'great' one in those three is Rubadub - but I know we all have different ideas!

Really glad you enjoyed Rubadub. It has for many years been my favourite Barney book - and one of my top two or three Enid Blyton books. I agree its very well written - the characters are all well drawn, and its emotional impact is second-to-none.

An older friend of mine recently read the Barney books for the first time (he is 71) and he enjoyed them all, but thought Rubadub started very slowly and he was impatient for the mystery to begin. This caused me to realise that there must be two different types of reader with different expectations. I rarely read an Enid Blyton book for the plot - maybe because I've read them all several times over - but for the characters, the atmosphere, the build-up etc. I agree with you Katherine, that Rubadub is totally absorbing right from the start and it doesn't actually matter that the adventure/mystery doesn't start until quite a way into the book. The characters, setting, and holiday atmosphere are almost more relevant than the adventure in this book.

I think this is a mark of Enid's best books, because I feel its similar with The Valley of Adventure. Although the adventure starts fairly early on, there's then quite a dip where the children explore the valley, find the waterfall and cave, etc, and generally just 'survive'. For me, these are the best parts of the book. If I just read her books for the mystery/adventure elements, I would have stopped reading them by now, as I know most of the plots extremely well!

Rubadub is brilliant - I can't praise it enough. Must read it again soon, as I haven't read it since last summer! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I agree with both of you. It is a great book and as Rob says, it doesn't matter that the adventure doesn't start at once... the setting of the scene is always an important feature of the books for me and a Blyton book without some mention of the sunset, flowers, picnics etc. would be so greatly diminished that I would not care to re-read them in the way I do.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I'm re-reading it right now and really enjoying it.I know full well I should be continuing with Smuggler Ben but...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

An excellent appraisal of The Rubadub Mystery, Katharine. I agree that the emphasis on character and emotion would make this series appeal to the more mature child. With Barney and Snubby's circumstances being difficult, we explore what it means to belong to a family. The same theme helps give emotional depth to the Adventure series, in which individuals/groups who are lonely, unfulfilled or lacking love or support are brought together to form a strong family unit.
Katharine wrote:I thought Enid's portray of Dummy was interesting, from her initial description of him, I would have though he had been born with some kind of genetic condition, but later we are given the impression that his difficulties came from a head injury. I think on the whole, given the era the book was written, she portrayed him quite sympathetically, which I doubt would have been the case at the time, when people who had learning difficulties/disabilities were probably treated quite badly. One criticism I did have of the book though was Barney's change in attitude towards Dummy, just because Mr. Marvel told him he was a spy. I just couldn't imagine Barney believing so readily such an accusation about someone he'd known previously. I was pleased that the balance was kept with Snubby's belief in him. It was also great that Dummy turned out to be such a hero, even if later he 'sobbed like a 3 year old'. A great bit of writing from someone who generally seemed to up hold the 'stiff upper' lip attitude in her writing.
I feel the same about Dummy and it's heartening that Snubby continues to believe in his innocence throughout and talks to him with such sensitivity towards the end of the book. There is great empathy in these scenes.
Katharine wrote:Another aspect I picked up on was the way Enid seemed to be moving with the times, there was talk of Snubby considering a carer in television, mention of penny arcades, dodgem cars and the oh so sinful chewing gum. :D
Yes, and a jukebox with pop music.
Katharine wrote:I was interested to see the 3 books chosen for this, ie Rockingdown, Rub a Dub and Ragamuffin. Were they picked at random, were they considered her best of the series, or did the editor feel the complemented each other the best?
I'd find it hard to pick just three Barney books for an omnibus edition. Rockingdown and Rubadub would be essential as Rockingdown introduces the characters and Rubadub is important for the Barney storyline. I'd ditch Rat-a-Tat and Ragamuffin without a qualm but I'd be terribly torn between the sparkling intrigue of Rilloby Fair and the eeriness of Ring O' Bells.
Rob Houghton wrote:An older friend of mine recently read the Barney books for the first time (he is 71) and he enjoyed them all, but thought Rubadub started very slowly and he was impatient for the mystery to begin. This caused me to realise that there must be two different types of reader with different expectations. I rarely read an Enid Blyton book for the plot - maybe because I've read them all several times over - but for the characters, the atmosphere, the build-up etc.
Daisy wrote:... the setting of the scene is always an important feature of the books for me and a Blyton book without some mention of the sunset, flowers, picnics etc. would be so greatly diminished that I would not care to re-read them in the way I do.
I like the slow build-ups too and I agree that the camaraderie, sense of community and observations concerning nature are all part of the enjoyment.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:....Yes, and a jukebox with pop music.
:D I'd forgotten about the jukebox. Obviously such things were considered inappropriate for 'nice' people to be associated with.

I meant to say how much I like Miss Pepper's character, she's quite a strong character and really seems to have a good rapport with the children. I absolutely love the interaction between the children and the humour in the books.

Just a bit of speculation, but the book was written only a year or two after Enid's mother died. I know the first book with Barney searching for his father was written before her death, but it didn't seem to have such an emotional aspect to it. Could it possibly be that despite their rift, deep down Enid was feeling a sense of loss now that both her parents were gone?
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I assume she always intended to have Barney find his father eventually, so not sure how much her writing would be affected by her personal circumstances. One gets the feeling that she could shut herself away from real life when she was writing - which was most of the time by the looks of it! How her subconscious might have influenced the style of her writing at that time is of course just conjecture. It may well have done.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I have always thought that the first four books in the series were intended to climax with the discovery of Barney's father. The additional two books add nothing to the series and Barney's character is completely changed when he finds his family. Rubadub does build up slowly but this only increases the tension and excitement for me. The final passage when Barney meets his father for the first time still brings a tear to my eye. A wonderful book and Enid at her best.
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I must be the only one who likes Rat-A-Tat and Ragamuffin because they continue after 'the happy ending' in Rubadub! With few exceptions, I find it annoying when a book or film or TV show ends as soon as the main characters have wrapped up the loose ends, saved the world and got their happy ever after, I want to see an aftermath :P . I like happy ever endings but I want to see a bit more after it, the last two Barney books are a rare case of being able to do just that.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I know exactly what you mean IceMaiden.. I too wanted to know how Barney got on after he found his father and for that reason was pleased to see Rat-a-Tat and Rub-a-Dub appear in due course. Criticism is more for the plots I think, which seem not to be so gripping somehow.

Society Member