What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's probably best to avoid making comparisons with people who no longer post on the forums.
Yes, you're probably right. Don't let's lose our sense of humour though. Of course, Paul still posts on the message board so he's not completely off our radar!
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've just started reading 'Five On Kirrin Island Again' - for only about the third time! :-) I never used to rate it until I read all the Fives in order (first time I'd ever done that!) back in 2016...or was it 2015? Time flies! Anyway - it is now one of my favourite Famous Five's, and I'm looking forward to diving into it again - just read the first chapter so far. :-)

Because I didn't read many Famous Fives as a child, they were mostly new to me, and I can evaluate them entirely from an adult perspective. I actually like about 18 of them. I'll leave others to guess the three I'm less keen on! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Rob Houghton wrote: Because I didn't read many Famous Fives as a child, they were mostly new to me, and I can evaluate them entirely from an adult perspective. I actually like about 18 of them. I'll leave others to guess the three I'm less keen on! ;-)
The last three?
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

well...the last two, plus another one! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Trail?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Mystery Moor? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:Mystery Moor? :wink:
Certainly Not!! :lol: :wink:

Yes - Sixret is right - Secret Trail - although I don't hate it, just one of my bottom 3!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

John Pickup wrote:I've been dipping into the Treasury which I bought the other day. I've read a couple of the stories...
I found the writing somewhat below Enid's standard in some of the stories. Often a repetition of words. For example, in one story the word 'dolefully' (or doleful) was repeated many times. Even my grandson picked up on it. I haven't come across this sloppiness (for want of a better word) before. We also counted how many sentences began with "Well, ....).
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Moonraker wrote: We also counted how many sentences began with "Well, ....).
This reminds me of a time many years ago when a group of young people were invited to take special note of a sermon one Sunday evening after which they assembled for a discussion. The main observation? "Well, he said 'and' 251 times." :roll:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
John Pickup wrote:I've been dipping into the Treasury which I bought the other day. I've read a couple of the stories...
I found the writing somewhat below Enid's standard in some of the stories. Often a repetition of words. For example, in one story the word 'dolefully' (or doleful) was repeated many times. Even my grandson picked up on it. I haven't come across this sloppiness (for want of a better word) before. We also counted how many sentences began with "Well, ....).
Well...I think its a really good book, and its the only short story book Enid ever wrote as a short story book, as far as I'm aware. I may be wrong on that, but perhaps that's why you feel its 'somewhat below Enid's standard' occasionally.

Which story was that, Nigel? Presumably NOT the short story 'Well, My Father Says...' ;-) :lol:

Its good to get a different opinion, as most people seem to rate The Treasury very highly, including myself. It contains two of my favourite EB short stories - 'The Cheat' and 'A Week Before Christmas' :-D
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 21 Feb 2018, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Personally, I'm happy for forumites to analyse the books as long as it's done with sincerity (as was the case with Courtenay's comment) and not with the aim of causing a stir.
Apologies for harping back to this, but on reading it again I hope you don't think that my comment was intended to cause a stir. Nothing could be further from the truth. I never implied that Courtenay's comment was insincere. I have never intentionally set out to upset people and was just making what I thought (mistakenly, it would seem) was a leg-pulling comment.

Of course, maybe I am misunderstanding you, Anita, and am getting a tad too sensitive myself! :shock:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote: Well...I think its a really good book, and its the only short story book Enid ever wrote as a short story book, as far as I'm aware. I may be wrong on that, but perhaps that's why you feel its 'somewhat below Enid's standard' occasionally.
Which story was that, Nigel? Presumably NOT the short story 'Well, My Father Says...' ;-) :lol:
Now you're asking, Rob! I will have to do some research and try to find the story. I'm even having second thoughts as to if it was The Treasury as I also read form another short-story collection!

I'll get back to you later!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Personally, I'm happy for forumites to analyse the books as long as it's done with sincerity (as was the case with Courtenay's comment) and not with the aim of causing a stir.
Apologies for harping back to this, but on reading it again I hope you don't think that my comment was intended to cause a stir. Nothing could be further from the truth. I never implied that Courtenay's comment was insincere. I have never intentionally set out to upset people and was just making what I thought (mistakenly, it would seem) was a leg-pulling comment.

Of course, maybe I am misunderstanding you, Anita, and am getting a tad too sensitive myself! :shock:
:lol: :wink: I was actually talking about people's analyses of the books! It's good to have thoughtful comments on the plots and characters (as we generally do), though once in a long while someone may post something provocative simply to get people going - and then sit back and enjoy the reaction (if they get one)!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:I've just started reading 'Five On Kirrin Island Again' - for only about the third time! :-) I never used to rate it until I read all the Fives in order (first time I'd ever done that!) back in 2016...or was it 2015? Time flies! Anyway - it is now one of my favourite Famous Five's, and I'm looking forward to diving into it again - just read the first chapter so far. :-)

Because I didn't read many Famous Fives as a child, they were mostly new to me, and I can evaluate them entirely from an adult perspective. I actually like about 18 of them. I'll leave others to guess the three I'm less keen on! ;-)
My guess: "Secret Trail" is one of the three? It's usually among the least liked FF books.
I like 15 FF sequels. The Kirrin Island sequels are my favorites.

Yesterday I received a gorgeous, flawless copy of "Five on Kirrin Island again" with the mail thanks to Rob 8) 8) 8) and started re-reading it.
My old copy was a mis-print where the pages 116 to 140 were missing and other pages were double.
My husband told me that some mis-prints would be very valuable, but I doubt this applies to children's books as well.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hope you enjoy reading your complete copy of Five On Kirrin Island Again, Chrissie! :-D

You are right that one of my least favourite Famous Fives is Five On A Secret Trail - it doesn't really have a great deal of plot, in my view! The others are Five Have A Mystery To Solve and Five Are Together Again. Mind you, saying that, I still enjoy them all in their own way, I just think these three are the weakest! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member