What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Courtenay »

Totally agree, María Esther and Rob — the Galliano books are my all-time favourites and (I would say) among the best Enid ever wrote for younger readers. I remember when I first read Circus Days Again, how wrenching it was towards the end when it looked like this could be the end of Galliano's Circus... I guess I knew deep down that there HAD to be a happy ending somehow (this was Enid Blyton!!), but I was almost literally on the edge of my seat and unable to put the book down until I'd found out. And of course, it's Lotta whose bravery and daring (and stubbornness) save the day. I've always seen her as a stronger and more likeable character than George from the Famous Five, because Lotta doesn't waste time sulking and whinging that she should be allowed to do all the adventurous things boys do... she just goes ahead and does them. :mrgreen: I can't help suspecting Lotta is another character Enid based at least partly on herself. The dark, curly hair might be a clue... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Completely agree with everything people have said about the Galliano's Circus books in the last few posts. Enid Blyton takes the reader into the heart of a warm and vibrant community and it's a wrench to leave it. As a child, I used to play at being Lotta. The garden shed was my caravan, our climbing-frame was the big top and my space-hopper was my horse!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Currently trying to re read a few Naughtiest Girl books, some Blytons and a few sequels by Anne Digby. Always been some of my favorite books, as it's a non conventional school series compared to MT and St.C, and has a greater element of excitement, IMO.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I love Enid Blyton's originals (except for the rather weak longish short story, which is now published as the fourth book) but I was disappointed with Anne Digby's sequels, although some are better than others. Anne Digby's plots are pretty thin on the whole, whereas Enid Blyton weaves a number of strong story strands together with great skill. Also, I don't think Whyteleafe has quite the same atmosphere in the six add-on books. Like you, Sunskriti, I find the non-conventional aspects of the school very interesting.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The non-conventional aspects of how Whyteleafe is run is what makes the series special in my view. Enid was way ahead of her time, and even though her ideas might be said to be idealist, and even Communistic in their values of sharing and equality, they make the school seem a very attractive place to be.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

After not having read a Blyton for a very long time, my pile of new books has been completed. I selected The Sea of Adventure off the shelf and that is currently my bed-time reading material. It is just as good as ever! I noticed in the illustration of Dr Walker, in the train, he was sporting a wig as well as a beard. No mention was made of it though. He just couldn't wait to take of his glasses and beard when safely at sea.

Trouble is, I will want to read the others when I've finished it. Then the Find-Outers' series.....I'm hooked, once again!
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:After not having read a Blyton for a very long time, I selected The Sea of Adventure off the shelf

Trouble is, I will want to read the others when I've finished it. Then the Find-Outers' series.....I'm hooked, once again!
About time!! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Moonraker wrote:After not having read a Blyton for a very long time, my pile of new books has been completed. I selected The Sea of Adventure off the shelf and that is currently my bed-time reading material. It is just as good as ever! I noticed in the illustration of Dr Walker, in the train, he was sporting a wig as well as a beard. No mention was made of it though. He just couldn't wait to take of his glasses and beard when safely at sea.
By a strange coincidence I chose Sea almost randomly from my shelf just two days ago... and I think Enid did not intend Dr Walker to be wearing a wig - she mentions how glad the children are to see him take off the "awful black-checked cap." The artist (Tresilian) seems to have given him a sparse haircovering at the breakfast table. Well spotted Nigel!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I was disappointed with Anne Digby's sequels, although some are better than others. Anne Digby's plots are pretty thin on the whole
While I agree that compared to Enid, she has few elements in her plot, I think the few that she does have are actually quite interesting, such as Jake being too scared to play Hockey after injuring his beloved coach. Mainly because they're believable.
Also, my re read of NG has made me realize how perfect Elizabeth and Julian are for each other, and that there is definite chemistry between them. It's one of the few places where I feel sad that Enid's books were too innocent to include such things.
You can call me Sunskriti!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Anne Digby does have a few interesting plot elements but I just don't think they're handled with the same skill and excitement. In Enid Blyton's three full-length Naughtiest Girl books there's always plenty going on, with several threads interwoven, but a number of Anne Digby's sequels are lacking in intrigue and atmosphere. I've only read them once so I can't remember what happened in each title now, but I recall a particularly dull camping trip and a weak and weary storyline involving slugs and lettuces.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Darrell71 wrote: such as Jake being too scared to play Hockey after injuring his beloved coach.
The mind boggles! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote: The artist (Tresilian) seems to have given him a sparse haircovering at the breakfast table. Well spotted Nigel!
Isn't it odd that you can read a book a hundred times, yet often find something you never noticed before?

I had to look up the word "Fie". I might start using that!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Not a book, but the Society Journals. I'm starting with the first one. I've read some of them before, but keep stopping as I find things that I want to make a note of, either to discuss on here, or in some cases, because they might come in handy if I eventually finish writing an article I started some time ago. The problem is that I normally only read in bed, and of course by the time I wake up in the morning, I've forgotten what it was that I thought noteworthy.

This week I bought myself a notebook which will be kept by my bed, so I can jot down anything I want to action later - I've already made one note. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
I had to look up the word "Fie". I might start using that!
I've known that word ever since I was a very small child, from the poem/nursery rhyme about jenny Wren and Robin Redbreast -

'Little Jenny Wren fell sick,
Upon a time;
In came Robin Redbreast
And brought her cake and wine.
"Eat well of my cake, Jenny,
Drink well of my wine."
"Thank you, Robin, kindly,
You shall be mine."
Jenny she got well,
And stood upon her feet,
And told Robin plainly
She loved him not a bit.
Robin being angry,
Hopped upon a twig,
Saying, "Out upon you! Fie upon you!
Bold-faced jig!"

:D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Interesting. I'd only heard it in the rhyme, Fee-fie-fo-fum!
Society Member