The Island of Adventure - some thoughts

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Island of Adventure - some thoughts

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote:I have never ever read an Enid Blyton book without illustrations.
I was disgusted when editions without illustrations came out some years ago - what a swizz!
Moonraker wrote:I so agree, Pete. It's like TV without the pictures!
It's not really like TV without the pictures. When you put a TV programme together you rely on the images as much as the commentary or dialogue (otherwise you might as well be making a radio programme), but when Enid Blyton wrote for older children she painted pictures with words because she knew that the most important images were the ones she conjured up in readers' heads. It's different with picture books and stories like Noddy, written for small children, but in books for older children the story doesn't usually rely on being illustrated. Artwork can be a bonus, enhancing the look of a book and helping convey the right mood. On the other hand, if it doesn't fit with a reader's mental images it can be off-putting, though if the story is engaging the reader will soon be immersed in his/her own imaginings and will be able to ignore the illustrations.

Getting back to The Island of Adventure, I love Stuart Tresilian's dramatic drawings and feel that they add to the atmosphere. However, I'd rather read a copy with no illustrations than a copy with poor illustrations.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: The Island of Adventure - some thoughts

Post by sixret »

Well said, Anita. I am one of those who do not care too much about illustrations when reading. But I admit, having illustrations in the book is nice.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!