The Secret Island

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
swallows

The Secret Island

Post by swallows »

Hello all! I'm new here but am delighted to see such a professional looking site dedicated to the wonderful Enid Blyton. I thought I would start by asking what everyone thinks of my favourite Blyton book: The Secret Island. I think it's top notch Enid, with a story revolving around (surely) every child's fantasy - a self-sufficient lifestyle on an island with no adults in sight. I must have read this book 20 times when I was younger and I still love it. It's a shame the rest of the 'Secret' series didn't live up to this one. Other favourites of mine are 'The Castle of Adventure' and 'Five On a Hike Together' (I don't know why but this is probably my favourite Five - even thought I don't think it's a particularly famous one).
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Re: The Secret Island

Post by manzanita »

"Secret Island" and "Hike" are two favourites on here alright! I loved Secret Island when I was younger for the reasons you mentioned - it's playing dens at it's best!

"Castle of Adventure" I have only read as an adult, but the part where the storm hits was really well written and gripping even as an adult

My favourite book would have to be "The Rockingdown Mystery" followed by "Five Go To Smuggler's Top" and "Five Go To Mystery Moor". I do tend to change my answer I think, but "Rockingdown" is always in there :D
swallows

Post by swallows »

Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear Hike is something of a favourite, I always thought it was one of the lesser known ones. I also remember loving 'Mystery to Solve' but not even managing to finish 'Together Again', maybe I should give it another chance, or is it really as awful as I remember? I think part of the reason I liked 'Castle' so much is because it was my introduction to EB - I used to have it on tape read by the great Bernard Cribbins and he had the perfect voice to send you off to sleep. I must admit I haven't read many of the series which features 'Rockingdown' (I don't even know what the series is called!). I definitely read 'The Ragamuffin Mystery' but it didn't leave much of an impression. Again, are they worth reading? Another fave of mine has sprung to mind: 'The Treasure Hunters'!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Hello Swallows,

You're in good company. The Secret Island was Enid's daughter Gillians favourite book too - but she read it fresh off the typewriter!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

many people also seem to like 'Five on a Hike', so you're not alone! It's one of my favourites too. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the website and Forums, Swallows!
swallows wrote:I must admit I haven't read many of the series which features 'Rockingdown' (I don't even know what the series is called!). I definitely read 'The Ragamuffin Mystery' but it didn't leave much of an impression. Again, are they worth reading?
Definitely worth another try. This set of six books is known as the "Barney Mysteries" (or "R Mysteries") and it's a good idea to try to read the books in order if possible - Rockingdown, Rilloby Fair, Ring O' Bells, Rubadub, Rat-a-Tat and Ragamuffin. Rat-a-Tat and Ragamuffin are disappointing in my opinion but the other four titles are gripping - very exciting and full of humour and emotion.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Snubby
Favourite book/series: The Barney 'R' Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby!!, Barney, and F5's George

Post by Snubby »

Hi Swallows! Welcome abroad!

Five On a Hike Together and The Secret Island are my favourites too. :D

Just want to support Anita on the Barney Mysteries. It's my favourite Blyton's series above all. The first four titles are brilliant, especially Ring O' Bells and Rubadub, while the fifth title, Rat-a-Tat, has a charming winter setting.

You can find their reviews of from the cave here:
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/nove ... cat=barney
"It is partly the struggle that helps you so much, that gives you determination, character, self-reliance—all things that help in any profession or trade, and most certainly in writing." —Enid Blyton
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

Me too! I love The Secret Island - quite a perfect "survival" story, I think. And 'Hike Together' is one of my favourite 'Fives', along with 'Trouble' and 'Smuggler's Top.' :D

I too found it sad that the rest of the 'Secret' Series were not to live up to to the standard of the first book. :(
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hi Swallows and welcome. The Secret Island is a longstanding favourite of mine too as is Hike. You chose some good books there. The Barney mysteries are well worth reading , as others have said, and the Adventure series also, if you haven't already read them.

As to the rest of the Secret series not living up to Island I think part of the problem may be that the subsequent four books were very different in style in that they involved tracking down criminals or missing persons rather than the adventure in self sufficiency that formed the basis of the first book. The Secret Mountain and The Secret of Killimooin were both excellent and very exciting books IMO.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Welcome to the forums, Swallows.

I personally don't find the subsequent Secret books at all off-putting. Sure, they're different from the Secret Island which really was magical and wonderful - but the Secret Mountain and Secret of Killimooin are extraordinary - and global.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have to agree there: the later Secret books, 'Mountain' and 'Killimooin' are two of my favourites, and even 'Moon Castle' is good fun :D

The only one I think is weak is 'Spiggy Holes', yet as a child I loved it! 8)

I agree that Rat-a-tat mystery is fairly weak (though it has some good ideas, they don't really develop very well) but Ragamuffin (though weaker than Rockingdown, Rilloby fair, Ring-o'bells and Rubadub) does have it's good points I think. :P
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Philip Mannering
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure Series and Family Novels
Favourite character: Fatty and Jack Trent.

Post by Philip Mannering »

I agree with the others who said that 'Secret of Killimooin' and 'Secret Mountain' was great, and even 'Moon Castle' had its fair share of good points. 'Spiggy Holes' was one of Enid's earliest adventure books, before any of the FF, Adventure etc, yet all the plot elements in it seem very 'tried', if anyone knows what I mean, and none of them seem very original (although it's unfair to say that when you've read the 'Fives' and 'Adventures' before this series!). Overall the rest of the series series was great and funny, but in my opinion, are not of the standard of 'Island', which must remain my favourite. It was Enid's first full length adventure novel, and one of the best! :D
"A holiday — a mystery — an adventure — and a happy ending for dear old Barney!" said Roger. "What more could anyone want?"
"An ice cream," said Snubby promptly. "Who's coming to buy one?" The Rubadub Mystery
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:You're in good company. The Secret Island was Enid's daughter Gillians favourite book too - but she read it fresh off the typewriter!

Viv
I'll bet that she didn't! When Enid was typing this Gillian wouldn't have even reached her sixth birthday, and I can't really see Enid trusting her manuscript to a five year-old! :roll:
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Timing is everything :oops: :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It may not actually be true, but it IS a myth that Gillian herself perpetuated. :D In her 'Memory of Enid Blyton' at the back of 'Enid Blyton's Adventure Treasury' (1999) Gillian writes: 'the book I loved best was The Secret Island, which, with The Treasure Hunters, The secret of Spiggy Holes and Five on a Treasure Island, was written before I was ten and were each read hot off the typewriter!' 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member