The Six Bad Boys

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Kirrin

The Six Bad Boys

Post by Kirrin »

Wow! I just read this book yesterday ( I said I would in the top 5 section) and it is rerally gripping . I felt so sorry for Bob and his auful mother so it was good that the Mackenzies took him in.
With regards to the stealing which is abviously wrong at least he spent it on Pat who looked upon him as a rooll model and was his friend more of a friend than Tom perhaps who should have set him on the right tracks! so he was right to be sent to the school
That irish boy I really disliked his utter unruliness.
Lastly the setting of the celler in the abandoned terrace houses was good thinking and an interesting setting!

By the way does anyone know of a full length review on this book?
Miro

Post by Miro »

Crazy - I went back several pages just to find ONE thread about "The six bad boys" ... I read the German translation, so I am a little confused with names here. Bob and Tom - ok ... but the rest? In German there wer Fred, his brother Len, then Albert and Paul. Is that correct? Who was Pat? *confused*

It was one of my first books written by Enid Blyton and before reading I've listened to the radio drama several times. I just fell in love with this story. It's been great. Very tragic but realistic. It's still a rather current issue. Unfortunately.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

The Six Terrors are Tom, Bob, Fred, Len, Patrick and Jack. In my edition, however, they are Tom, Bob, Will, Jack, Patrick and Les. Tom's sisters were called Hilda and Eleanor, but now Harriet and Eleanor.

It's a great book, I always think. And Anita Bensoussane's review of the book is very fascinating, that was what inspired me to read the book.
Last edited by Ming on 25 Apr 2007, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Society Member
Miro

Post by Miro »

Thank you, Ming! You've been a great help!

So I guess, they changed Patrick to Albert and Jack to Paul, whatever reason they had to do so (the German editions almost all have changed names, especially St.Clares and Mallory Towers).
Ming

Post by Ming »

There's a great review of The Six Bad Boys here.

Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I love this book - I can read it again and again and again! Its a pity they don't have things like that now.....would probably get rid of a lot of anti-social behaviour.

My mum was a mix of Bob's and Tom's and I would have loved to have been part of the Mackenzie clan - I always thought I was more of a Bob because I'm an only child and I can remember pitching some real tantrums when I though my mum was giving too much attention to someone else and not enough to me.

That's sorted what I'll be reading in the bath tonight lol

Jen
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Cheers, Ming! In answer to Miro's question, Pat is the younger sister of Donald and Jeanie Mackenzie.

Hope you enjoy your bathtime read, Jen!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

jen wrote:I love this book - I can read it again and again and again! Its a pity they don't have things like that now.....would probably get rid of a lot of anti-social behaviour.

My mum was a mix of Bob's and Tom's and I would have loved to have been part of the Mackenzie clan - I always thought I was more of a Bob because I'm an only child and I can remember pitching some real tantrums when I though my mum was giving too much attention to someone else and not enough to me.
Jen
Ha ha I remember doing that too. I am a sort of only child my 2 siblings are so much older then me that I don't even feel related to them.
All I have to do now is read the 6 bad boys, after hearing all your reviews and reading Anita's, I can't wait to buy it. 8)
There is always something else new to learn.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Cheers, Ming!
Cheers! I know I've told you before, but your review persuaded me to read that book! :D

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

What sort of age would you recommend this book for? On several occasions I have stopped mums buying it for their 6 year old boys - I think they think it will be like Horrid Henry!

best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I first read this book as an adult and I wondered at the time whether it was a book for children or maybe it was designed for parents to see the error of their ways??!! Maybe EB was the first Supernanny?!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[Viv:] What sort of age would you recommend this book for?
I'd say around age 9-12 would be ideal, though as Jen said The Six Bad Boys may well be of interest and benefit to much older readers! Enid Blyton's "Note for the Reader" at the front of the book begins: "Are you a child? Or are you a grown-up? It doesn't much matter, with this book. It is written for the whole family, and for anyone who has to do with children."

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

I just got the book the six bad boys, I ordered it off the whsmith web site as well the Adventures of the six cousins (3 in 1.) They are Award books and nice and cheap £2.99 for six bad boys, and £3.99 for the six cousins 3 in 1. :) (Both hard back) 8)
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I'm intrigued by the Adventures of the Six Cousins 3-in-1, I thought there were only two books in this series. What's the third?
Susie

Post by Susie »

Kate Mary wrote:I'm intrigued by the Adventures of the Six Cousins 3-in-1, I thought there were only two books in this series. What's the third?
Sorry Kate Mary it was a printing error. There are only two books as you said.