The Sea of Adventure

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The Sea of Adventure

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:I've now got this image of puffins queuing up at the natural bowl in the cliff with facecloths and towels. :D
:lol: :D :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Rob Houghton wrote:I agree - and as I've often mentioned previously, the children also drink 'pure clean water' out of a natural 'bowl' in the cliff...with puffins flying over it, dropping dead fish into it, maybe washing/swimming in it, not to mention their droppings! :shock:
That's the magic of Blyton!
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Ooh - it's a sumptuous book, Sarah! The whole series is glorious in Macmillan but The Sea of Adventure contains some of my absolute favourite illustrations. I adore Huffin and Puffin and the soaring gulls, and the drawing of Horace Tipperlong is a delight. For most Blyton series I've stuck with my paperbacks but I just had to collect the Adventure series in the Macmillan hardbacks to get all Stuart Tresilian's incredible artwork. They're wonderfully chunky books too - amazing quality, especially considering that the first few titles were published during and just after the war.
I'm currently ploughing through my falling apart, sans dust jacket, but still thankfully readable Macmillan version of The Sea of Adventure from 1951, and I think Stuart Tresilian's illustrations are amazingly good!
Courtenay wrote:How could such a noble and distinguished character ever be underrated?? :mrgreen: :wink:

This picture always reminded me of the late, great actor Michael Sheard, and I could just have imagined him playing such an explosive, hapless character!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A classic illustration.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The Adventure book illustrations are all so good - and one of the few instances where the same illustrator has been used since the first edition of 'Island of Adventure' right through to whenever it was they sadly removed the illustrations all together about five years ago! :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member