The Secret Seven

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: The Secret Seven

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Which leaves us with the already pointed out problem that the Seven are just as spiteful and mean as Susie is.
In general, I don't think they are. Sometimes some members do retaliate just as spitefully - and on at least one occasion the Seven make use of Susie. However, they don't keep going out of their way to jeer at Susie and cause trouble for her as she does for them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Finished reading Shock for the secret seven . I really enjoyed it, a nice book, but a bit too short. Was the Secret Seven written for small children? Because the Adventure series and the FF, as an example, are much more dense.
It was my first time meeting the characters, so I thought they were OK, I especially liked Scamper ;)!
About the adventure, it wasn't really effective, I knew who the 'thief' was from the start.
Anyway, I will try and get more SS books to enjoy my free time, because any Enid Blyton book is always a favourite!!! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's good to hear that you enjoyed the story even though you worked out the identity of the thief. In Enid Blyton's autobiography, The Story of My Life, the Secret Seven books are said to be aimed at readers aged 7-11. The same applies to the Adventurous Four books and one-off novels like The Boy Next Door and The Children of Kidillin. Most of the other mystery/adventure series (Famous Five, Adventure, Secret and Find-Outers) are described as being for "older ones" as well as 7-11s. The Barney series is the only one that is said to be for "older ones" only.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think we are reading too much into this. Enid just introduced Susie and the arguments to have a different slant on a series. The SS aren't spiteful and mean at all. Jack just has an annoying sister and friends. I remember many like that at my junior school in the 50s! I agree with Rob and John that Enid often made Susie appear (to the reader, if not the SS) brighter and sometimes more mature than the Seven. Of all the characters, Susie is the one I'd most like to meet. Pam and Barbara are just number-makers. However, I still like the fact that there are seven children and a dog.

Good to see you posting once again, Dick. Welcome back. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I think I'd like to meet Scamper most of all! :wink:

I must admit I find Susie generally more immature than the Seven - but I'd rather meet her than Pam or Barbara.

It seems that many of us would agree that Susie, despite not belonging to the Secret Seven, is one of the most developed and interesting characters in the series.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I would second you on the member of the bunch I'd really be interested to meet being Scamper. Rock would probably be interested, too. After all, Setters and Spaniels are somewhat related. :D

As for Susie being immature, well, her actions are usually seen from the perspective of the Seven - who think a lot of themselves, obviously. But then again, so do the FFOs, the Adventure lot and the Five.
Spiteful Seven instead of Secret Seven? Not sure, really. I wouldn't say they were aware of some of what they did being a tad out of proportion, and we must remember they are kids. Some rough play may be in order there...

Thanks for the welcome back, Nigel.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Setters and Spaniels are two of my favourite breeds! I love their expressive eyes, floppy ears, beautiful faces and gorgeous coats. Unfortunately I'm allergic to dogs but I like reading about them in books by Enid Blyton and other authors. I'm sure you must enjoy many a long walk with Rock!

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Setters and Spaniels are two of my favourite breeds! I love their expressive eyes, floppy ears, beautiful faces and gorgeous coats. Unfortunately I'm allergic to dogs but I like reading about them in books by Enid Blyton and other authors.
Maybe you could try a Cavoodle (Cavalier King Charles spaniel x poodle) like we used to have, Anita. Not all crossbreeds come out the same — I know some poodle crosses don't inherit the hypo-allergenic coat — but our Sandy didn't shed hair at all, and she had the most beautiful eyes just like a spaniel. :D

She was a bit shy, though, and didn't like loud noises or bigger dogs or anything too scary, so I'm not sure if she would have been much help in an Enid Blyton-style adventure! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Sadly, tests have shown that I'm allergic to the epidermis and saliva as well as the hair.

That's an adorable photo of Sandy! You and your family must miss her.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Those are real 'chocolately eyes' as Enid would have said...or maybe never said, lol! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: That's an adorable photo of Sandy! You and your family must miss her.
We do... when I go back next month, it'll be my first time being back at home without Sandy there since we first got her. :( I know Dad would like another dog, but Mum isn't so keen and they do keep on making the reasonable excuses of "we've got so much more freedom without a dog" and so on. But I suspect they'll cave in eventually. :wink:

Anyway, I'll stop derailing this thread!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I'm sure Scamper would heartily approve of all the talk of dogs. :D He may not be an official member of the Secret Seven but he influences a number of their passwords - I remember "Wuff", "Wuff-wuff" and"Scamper". I think they also have "Thump", inspired by the thump of Scamper's tail.

One of the most moving and beautifully written episodes in a Secret Seven book involves the dog belonging to Matt the shepherd (Shock for the Secret Seven).

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Well, we have the 'pets' thread, too. But like Anita said, Scamper, Loony and Timmy would all approve.
And I must say I occasionally catch me at reading out the relevant, i.e. canine parts of the books to Rock whenever he's cuddling close to me. I must watch my step when it comes to the lunatic Loony bits, though.
Setters can be a bit of a handful, and even though Rock - who is not a teenager any more - is rather docile for a setter, he still has his own head and occasionally tries to get his way.
Right, that's what happens when you adopt an intelligent and somewhat independent dog. After all, gundogs were bred to act like that, no good scolding them for it.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'm sure Scamper would heartily approve of all the talk of dogs. :D He may not be an official member of the Secret Seven but he influences a number of their passwords - I remember "Wuff", "Wuff-wuff" and"Scamper". I think they also have "Thump", inspired by the thump of Scamper's tail.
For some time Scamper is official member of the Secret Seven.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

True, though it's made clear that Scamper's membership is only temporary as the Seven hope that the original member will be able to return.

Society Member