The Circus of Adventure

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

The Circus of Adventure

Post by Mollybob »

I've just about finished re-reading The Circus of Adventure and have to say that I have been a little disappointed with it. I don't think it lives up to the standard of the other Adventure books.
I don't find Gussy a particularly believable or likeable character (although I suppose he's not meant to be especially likeable). I also found myself being rather surprised at the general attitude in the book towards the "little foreigner", as he often appears to be called. There seems to be very little tolerance towards him or willingness to include him. However, at times he is so annoying that I think I would be tempted to slap him as Dinah does.
Does anyone else feel this way about this particular book?
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Oh dear! I always think this is one of the best Adventure books!! Just shows you how different people can see different things in books!

I always find this book very exciting and suspensful. I never really notice the 'little foreigner' references, because I just take it to be the views of the times, and the attitudes of individual characters in the stories rather than a political statement by the author.

I like the whole idea of the 'civil war' brewing in a foreign country, the idea of Gussy being a 'puppet king' and the adult feeling that a plot of this type carries with it. I do dislike the use of the rather juvenile 'Jabwockians' that the children invent, however. But on the whole, I think it's one of the better Adventure books...

But everyone is entitled to their opinion! :)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Mollybob

Post by Mollybob »

I just found the "little foreigner" references to be particularly predominant in this book, whereas normally I don't notice them or can simply attribute them to the prevailing attitude of the times. I don't think that the book is racist as such, as there are plenty of positive foreign characters in it too. However, I do recall someone asking why foreigners don't bring up their children properly, and several similar statements.

My favourite adventure books have to be The Valley of Adventure and The Ship of Adventure. It is interesting how we all see different things in the various books, and it's no bad thing. In order of preference, The Circus of Adventure definitely comes last for me :-)

I tend to prefer treasure hunting stories, so perhaps that's where my main problem lies with this book :wink:
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I think I fall somewhere in between Mollybob and Robert. Circus is not my favourite by a long chalk. I think I rather dislike the fact that the middle section of the book features only Jack and Kiki, and the first section (in England) is one of the slowest Adventure build ups. However the last section of the book, commencing roughly around the point where Jack and Pedro decide to rescue the others is very thrilling (other than the Jabberwocky bit).

As to the "Little Foreigner" references I think this was just a sign of the times in which the book was written in conjunction with the fact that Gussy is extremely annoying. The children, disliking him, would naturally have called him names and his foreign status would have been an easy target for namecalling.

For me Mountain remains the weakest and least believable even though I love the atmosphere inside the mountain. I dont find any of the Adventure series to be truly bad. It should actually be Enid's flagship series in my opinion.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree with Mountain being the weakest. I used to think it was 'River', but have since changed my mind. River has some very good moments.

I also think Valley is one of the best in the series, and I like the great feeling of isolation in 'Sea'.

In fact, its true that there are no real weak books in the adventure series. Each one has something to recommend it.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Mollybob

Post by Mollybob »

I know Mountain is generally seen as the weakest, but I actually find it very entertaining if somewhat far-fetched. I like the setting and the strange experiments.

I must agree that this is the best Blyton series overall, followed by the Famous Five. I think that all the books are very good, but just feel a little disappointed with Circus compared to the rest. It wouldn't stop me reading it again though.

In order of preference I'd probably list them as follows (I'm sure many of you will disagree :twisted: ):
1. Valley of Adventure
2. Ship of Adventure
3. Island of Adventure
4. Mountain of Adventure
5. River of Adventure
6. Castle of Adventure
7. Sea of Adventure
8. Circus of Adventure
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

lucky Star wrote:I think I rather dislike the fact that the middle section of the book features only Jack and Kiki
That's actually my favourite bit! One boy and his parrot stuck in a strange land looking for his friends who have been kidnapped by professional civil servants who mean business. There's a great sense of isolation for the poor, brave lad. Mind you I agree the book takes ages to get going.

One bit that always intregued me was the fact that the sword swallower had a trick sword that retracted into the hilt. As far as I know, the professionals use REAL swords. There's obviously a knack to it - but I'm sure it can be done!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Circus of Adventure has some great elements but it's one of the titles I like least in that series (though it beats Mountain.) Like Mollybob, I find Gussy annoying. On top of that, I can't quite believe in the land of Tauri-Hessia - for some reason it doesn't seem real to me and I can't feel much attachment to it.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I haven't read Circus in ages but it was one that I did like :). I know that Gussy was a bit of a drip and like Anita, I did wonder where Tauri HEssia was ;). But it was one of my favourite ones.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I've said it before, but I long to hire a motor boat and explore the Scottish Isles with Anita (okay Ming, you can come too). Mind you, any trip with Anita would be an adventure!

Happy Days!
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

See ya all later! We're off for an adventure! :D

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hey Ming - you don't get out of your exams that easily! We'll set off on our voyage on Tuesday! :wink:

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Inspired by The Adventurous Four to the Rescue! no doubt, Nigel or in this case it looks like The Adventurous Three!! :lol:
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Hey Ming - you don't get out of your exams that easily! We'll set off on our voyage on Tuesday! :wink:

Anita
Blow! And I was just hoping to sail away! :wink:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Unfortunately, one's dreams hardly ever can become a reality. I'm sure Anita's husband, Ming's parents and certainly, my wonderful wife would put up some objections. :cry:

However, it would be an incredible adventure. I would also love Tony to come with us.

One day, perhaps....
Society Member