Why Enid Blyton? What do people like about her books?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
billsmugs

Why Enid Blyton? What do people like about her books?

Post by billsmugs »

Why do people enjoy Enid Blyton's books? I would like to ask this question for discussion. For me personally I enjoy that they were written and set in the forties and fifties, a time when people seemed to enjoy more simple pleasures, were less materialistic, places less crowded, quiet country lanes and beaches, less cars, a slower pace of life, village communities(no out of town shopping centres). Not being around myself in those times I don't know if my idealistic view is entirely accurate but it would be nice to think it was. The books for me are like a living historical document. The stories Secret Series, Adventure Series, Famous Five are exciting adventure stories in the're own right!
Being a keen walker and camper I love the outdoor bits about the wildlife(which i'm sure there was lots more of due to the older farming ways), the countryside, the landscape, the rocks, farming and not least the sea. I understand that Enid Blyton was a keen naturalist and birdwatcher. I like the way animals in her stories become like and are treated as people(quite rightly so for living feeling creatures). The appreciation and understanding of nature. That good overcomes bad. In conclusion the best of the past to be intergated into the future!
I'm sure I could think of loads of other things that I enjoy about her books but I would love to hear other peoples views!!!???
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Why Enid Blyton? What do people like about her books?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

There are so many things - but the following spring to mind:

1. The sense of discovery that is a feature of so much of Blyton's writing - for example uncovering secrets, looking at nature afresh, or learning about a different way of life (eg. in a circus or on a farm.) And the joy and wonder and general zest for life which accompany these discoveries.

2. The bonhomie that exists between the characters. Some of the children, especially the Find-Outers and the "of Adventure" children, seemed so real to me as a child and I felt as if I belonged to their group.

3. The wonderful settings, which are so mysterious and often steeped in history - castles, mansions, mountains, moors, woods, islands, caves, secret passages, waterfalls, whirlpools, lagoons, etc. It is perhaps partly because of Enid Blyton that I loved exploring new places as a child - and still love travelling as an adult.

Hope plenty of people will respond to billsmugs' question - the answers will make fascinating reading, I think.

Anita
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

"Some of the children, especially the Find-Outers and the "of Adventure" children, seemed so real to me as a child and I felt as if I belonged to their group."

This is so true. I really felt (although I knew they weren't really) that they were real people. The FF to me was not fiction. I felt I knew the characters. The Find-Outers were also really life-like.

I think the only other authors to achieve this were Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) and Agatha Christie (Poirot / Miss Marple).
Society Member
billsmugs

Post by billsmugs »

I'm glad that people like my question "Why do people enjoy Enid Blyton's stories?":). The response has prompted me to reply that for me also I find that a lot of Enid Blyton's books are highly readable because the stories seem almost real(farm/adventure 'type' stories). I can easily imagine that the events actually happened and the characters real, unlike stories such as Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings, Faraway Tree etc...no offence intended(before I get shot down in flames by Tolkien & Rowling fans):). It is so easy to imagine that I am there in the stories with those children.
Neasa

What was the Enid Blyton Secret?

Post by Neasa »

Hi everyone!
Millions of children have read and adored Enid Blytons books. But what was her secret? What do you all love about eb books. I loved the way the children were the heroines, and the way they were carefree and friendly towards each other (most of the time!)

What was, in your opinion the eb secret? Her ability to capture emotion, to grab the readers attention, her choice of illustrations? What? :?:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: What was the Enid Blyton Secret?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's the sense of discovery and zest for life in Blyton's books which appeal to me. To read them is to enter a world in which anything seems possible. Her characters take an interest in the world around them and make us as readers look at things afresh - they like to get involved, find things out and do their bit. I also love the locations of the various adventure-type books - caves, castles, manors, moors, lagoons, seas, islands, remote valleys, mountains, forests, etc. Then there's the amazing inventiveness of the fantasy titles, the carefully crafted family books full of drama, and the fluidity of Enid Blyton's writing.
Ali

Post by Ali »

I think the comradary of the characters in the books, along with the magic of places visited and discovered. Children as modest heros, mystreys solved, and night time adventures, when in fact I had a set bedtime. The thought of disappearing off with no adults for days on end, sunny skies, and fantastic picnics. It was just all woven together in an appealing way.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

On opening a "Blyton", one enters a wonderful, secure yet (safely) frightening world. A world of sunshine, laughter and cameraderie.

One knows that trouble will certainly lie ahead; but on the way one will pass through the wonderful British countryside, or even mysterious and exotic foreign places; not to mention the enchanting lands above the Faraway Tree! There will be daffodils nodding their yellow heads, sea as blue as cornflower. There will be fantastic meals and new, exciting places to explore. There will be people that one would yearn to meet, others that one would rather not.

Yes, there will be danger, intrigue, double-dealing and suspense. One may be trapped underground, but still one has that lovely warm feeling; secure in the knowledge that eventually, all will be well.

Above all, Enid was an incredible story teller with a fantastic imagination. Whether she was writing suspense and mystery, or fantasy and enchantment, she knew what children wanted to hear, and my word, we heard it. Can you imagine a literary world and childhood - not to say adulthood - were Enid not born. What a colossal gap there would have been.

Every so often, someone is born who will have such an impact on lives, that one can't possibly imagine life without him or her. Enid Blyton was one such person.
Society Member
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

post subject

Post by gareth jones »

When you enter Enid Blyton,s world through her books i always feel happy and care free,i can unload some of the burdens of adult life for a while. Dream of summer days,excitement,adventure and a much safer world for people to live in.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
LuvMyBlyton

Post by LuvMyBlyton »

I think the best thing about her books are not only the incredible imaginative plots, visual imagery, and rich detail, but how every situation ends JUST how you would want it to. It's not like in real life where the mean people always seem to get away with it. Her school stories especially ring true for that for me. Her younger children's books, always clearly show unpleasant behaviour swiftly dealt with, naughtly brownies are punished, and the good children are rewarded richly. Any child and adult can feel fully satisfied after reading Enid Blyton, everything is always tied up nicely in the end.
Lisey

Post by Lisey »

hiya,

I'm new to this forum, i love enid Blytons books as its a method of escapism for me, ive read them since i was 7 and im now 26 and i love to read them ive read a few over and over again and i cant get enuff,i have to say that enid blytons book are timeless.
puffin62

Post by puffin62 »

In the aftermath of WW II war-ridden countries/populations were a cruel reality and most children had never lived in a war free environment.
Blyton taught them how to become a child again, how to trust people, how to evil things or people doesn't necessarily have to triumph over good ones.

That is, imo, a major point when you consider Blyton's success.
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi Lisey! :D

Welcome to the forums!
Jump in and make yourself at home! :D
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

What people like about Blyton books.

Post by gareth jones »

You've all pretty well answered the question for me really.Like the rest of you i like to escape now and again to a world where children rule and to a world of adventure,excitment and happiness. For a child Enid's books were full of information about castle's,the countryside and wildlife.
Having lived in the countryside all my life i can relate to her books.
Having read her books since the age of 8 i'm sure if i live to be an old man i'll still like to read her books.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Who can explain the magic of Blyton books?

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi all,

I was just wondering in an e-mail to my husband what it is that is so compelling about Blyton books after so many years?
When I joined the Yahoo Blyton Group four years ago and EBS in March this year, I was thinking I would find the answer. But so far I haven't.
Yes, we all praise Blyton for her unique writing style, but there are other good authors who have a great writing style, too.

I'm almost 57 now and am re-reading Blyton's suspenseful series and stand alone books since 1965 (with a few years in my early to late twenties when I was too busy to read much due to my job training).
One might expect that their spell would wear off at some point, but they seem to get better and better even.
Why is this? Can anybody explain?

Was this ever discussed in this group before?
Since March I have read many threads on EBS, but am still trying to figure out what it is that gets people our age and older to re-read these wonderful books over and over again.
Is it this feeling of nostalgia?
I'm not sure about myself. My childhood wasn't a happy one, I probably mentioned it before, but thanks to Blyton books I had an escape that helped me to keep sane in the midst of insanity. So I don't think it''s really nostalgia in my case that attracts me to FF and Adventure books so much. I was relieved when I was 19 and able to move away from my parents. I don't think much of my childhood.

Also I know that a few EBS members were children when the Famous Five series was published first and they still read the books even though they are almost 20 years older than me. This is such a phenomenon!

As I am thinking of trying to convince my daughter-in-law how great Blyton books are (Christmas will be here in 4 months and I hope I can get her older son interested in the Famous Five), I was hoping to collect some more opinions on this topic.

If it already has been discussed at length in the past, please provide me with links that I can click on.

Thanks!!!
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock