Favourite Five Find-Outers book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Your favourite Five Find-Outers book

1. Burnt Cottage
4%
2. Disappearing Cat
2%
3. Secret Room
12%
4. Spiteful Letters
13%
5. Missing Necklace
13%
6. Hidden House
6%
7. Pantomime Cat
8%
8. Invisible Thief
12%
9. Vanished Prince
2%
10. Strange Bundle
6%
11. Holly Lane
1%
12. Tally-Ho Cottage
10%
13. Missing Man
3%
14. Strange Messages
9%
15. Banshee Towers
2%

Total votes: 104

Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Re: Favourite Five Find-Outers book

Post by Yak »

Oooh you're in for a treat Courtenay :) HOw far have you got?
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Well, a lot of them I read when I was little, but not all. I have the complete set now but still haven't managed to get through them, with all the other things I have going on! The ones I haven't read are Vanished Prince, Holly Lane (actually, I did read that one years ago but can't remember anything about it other than the amusing mystery of "Grintriss" at the start!! :shock: ), Tally-Ho Cottage, Missing Man and Strange Messages. I will definitely get to them some day, but no spoilers in the meantime please!! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

I am rereading Vanished Prince at the moment. I will try and resist the urge to post spoilers though ;)
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

The review of The Mystery of The Burnt Cottage. The perspective from someone who loves detective novels.

https://theinvisibleevent.com/2018/08/07/422/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

That was really interesting, thanks, Sixret! :D

Meanwhile, I STILL haven't managed to finish reading all of the FFO books (not because I don't want to, just because there are so many other things I need to read and do in my life), so I still haven't been able to vote for my all-time favourite, assuming I eventually do settle on one... :shock: :oops:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Very interesting Sixret, thank you.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

sixret wrote:The review of The Mystery of The Burnt Cottage. The perspective from someone who loves detective novels.

https://theinvisibleevent.com/2018/08/07/422/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A thoughtful review. It's good to see the Find-Outers books being taken seriously and praised for being intelligent, well-constructed and entertaining detective novels. As the writer of the piece says, it's delightful "just how firmly these books sit in the detective fiction firmament. Proper clues, decent logic, intelligent psychology, neat red herrings, rigorous construction, and genuine classic GAD misdirection." It's a pity that the Find-Outers series doesn't generally attract anywhere near as much attention as the Famous Five and Secret Seven series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's good to see the Find-Outers books being taken seriously and praised for being intelligent, well-constructed and entertaining detective novels. As the writer of the piece says, it's delightful "just how firmly these books sit in the detective fiction firmament. Proper clues, decent logic, intelligent psychology, neat red herrings, rigorous construction, and genuine classic GAD misdirection." It's a pity that the Find-Outers series doesn't generally attract anywhere near as much attention as the Famous Five and Secret Seven series.
I've always thought so too — when I was little, I preferred the Find-Outers to the Famous Five (and never got into the Secret Seven, so I really can't compare). Mind you, although I know other fans have said the FFO set them up for a lifetime of enjoying Agatha Christie and other great mystery writers for adults, that never happened to me. I have read a few Agatha Christie books and enjoyed them, but the genre as a whole doesn't grab me... maybe because I don't like people getting hurt, let alone murdered. I'd rather stick to Peterswood, where the crimes never get really serious. :wink:
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I read quite a lot of Agatha Christie and Ruth Rendell books in my teens and early twenties but I don't tend to read many adult detective novels now, even though I too have always preferred the Find-Outers books to the Famous Five and Secret Seven series. (I also prefer the Adventure, Secret and Barney series to the Famous Five and Secret Seven.)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh good, then I'm not the only one. :wink: I did enjoy the Agatha Christie books that I read in my teens (all Poirot ones, I think — I really loved Poirot), but just haven't felt inclined to read more — which makes me an anomaly in my family, as my parents both love detective fiction, particularly the Golden Age sort! But it's never really grabbed me.

Actually, that reminds me of something that I think should go in a "holiday" thread under General Natter, so I'll switch forums now... :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was very much the same as you and Anita, Courtenay, when I was a child. I had read quite a few Find-Outer books by the age of 12 - not all of them by any means, but about 7 or 8 - and I only ever read two Famous Fives before the age of 22.

I did read a lot of Secret Seven as well, though - and apart from Valley of Adventure, I wasn't a fan of the Adventure books. I did like The Secret Island, Secret of Spiggy Holes, Secret of Moon Castle, Holiday House, etc though - but my favourites in those days were definitely Secret Seven and Find-Outers.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I read all the main series as a child, and most of the stand-alone books and many short stories, but the Famous Five and Secret Seven weren't among my favourites. Having said that, certain titles from both those series stood out as particularly thrilling or atmospheric.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

As a child, the Secret Seven's that really stuck out for me were Secret Seven Adventure, Good Work Secret Seven, Secret Seven Win Through, Secret Seven Mystery, Secret Seven Fireworks, and Good Old Secret Seven. For some reason I always liked the autumnal settings best!

Back to Find Outers, as a child my favourites were The Mystery of the Secret Necklace, The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat, The Mystery of Holly Lane, and The Tally Ho Mystery. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
mynameisdumbnuts
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Famous Five, Adventure series
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Darrell Rivers, Bets Hilton

Post by mynameisdumbnuts »

I thought the FFO had something to do with the Famous Five at first! I had no idea Blyton had created another set of five. I never considered whether I liked one over the other because they were so different.
"Lucy, you want more backbone -– you've got your wishbone where your backbone ought to be!" -- "House-at-the-Corner"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Mysteries with dark, shadowy settings have a particular appeal for me. My favourite Secret Seven book is Go Ahead Secret Seven and my favourite Find-Outers book is The Mystery of the Strange Bundle.

Society Member