Favourite Five Find-Outers book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Your favourite Five Find-Outers book

1. Burnt Cottage
4%
2. Disappearing Cat
2%
3. Secret Room
12%
4. Spiteful Letters
13%
5. Missing Necklace
13%
6. Hidden House
6%
7. Pantomime Cat
8%
8. Invisible Thief
12%
9. Vanished Prince
2%
10. Strange Bundle
6%
11. Holly Lane
1%
12. Tally-Ho Cottage
10%
13. Missing Man
3%
14. Strange Messages
9%
15. Banshee Towers
2%

Total votes: 104

burlingtonbertram

Re: Favourite Five Find-Outers book

Post by burlingtonbertram »

Courtenay wrote:
burlingtonbertram wrote: I note that Mr Goon's full name is Theophilus Goon. If I remember my bible-study rightly, Theophilus translates as “Beloved of God”, from the Koine (common) Greek. If true this suggests that God truly does love everybody....even Mr Goon.
Yes, that's the meaning... well, at least someone does, then! :lol:

There was a very interesting article that one contributor to these forums wrote a few years ago, putting forward the argument that Goon was based to a great extent on Enid Blyton's first husband Hugh Pollock, whose relationship with Enid fell apart largely due to his drinking problems. It's not a theory that everyone will necessarily find convincing, but it's well set out and good food for thought! There's a link to the article in this thread: http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 8&p=172614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you; that was really interesting. I don't know anything about her personal life at all so I have no idea if the theory is right. I was thinking about getting a biography and now definitely will.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
burlingtonbertram

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Fatty wonders whether to light the pipe and and try smoking it to amuse Bets, who is watching (it is Missing Necklace and he's disguised as the old man who sits on the bench). However, he decides not to because he has already tried smoking it privately and it made him feel sick!
Always a good idea for a writer to explain consequences rather than just moralising.
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Absolutely! Although I'd wager the scene has been changed or cut in the modern 'updated' editions.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
burlingtonbertram

I read the Mystery of the Pantomime Cat last night; having jumped from book 2 to book 7. I bought a pre-decimal Armada book; I can't tell the exact date because one of the front-papers is missing. The cover and text illustrations are by Charles Stewart. The cover is quite nice although the Pantomime Cat looks a bit peculiar.
The series has definitely changed a little. At the start, the Five (and dog) perpetrate an ill-thought out plan to create a false mystery for locum policeman Pippin.
Mr Goon has gone from being obnoxious and intolerant to being an out and out viscous bully; even forcing confessions from innocent parties.
Fatty is now very much the leader of the group, even if they still put him down if he boasts too much.
I have to say that if Mr Pippin reflects the calibre of the police around there, then I don't hold up a lot of hope for the community.
I liked the book but there was something just a little lacking in comparison to the first two. So, it's a competent 7/10 for me.
Jed
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Jed »

I voted for The Mystery of the Invisible Thief because it is a real whodunit, unlike some other books in this series. The Mystery of the Pantomime Cat came close, though, because of its unexpected twist in the last few chapters.
"Then he glanced in at the window - and he almost fell out of the tree in shock!"
The room inside was not empty. It was fully furnished!

http://www.JedOwens.com | Book Reviews and other thoughts from an 11 year old!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree about these two - two of my three faves - the other being 'Strange Messages'.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Jed

Post by Jed »

Yes, Robert, I think the Strange Messages is one of the good FFO books. I think in that book Ern really comes to the fore, which is nice for a change - in the Hidden House, for example, Ern was treated slightly unfairly, with them immediately deciding that he is awful. :)

Jed
"Then he glanced in at the window - and he almost fell out of the tree in shock!"

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

To be fair, Hidden House is the book where we first meet Ern and as Goon's nephew he's off to a bad start as far as impressing the Find-Outers. They do warm to him as the story progresses, however, and in the end he becomes quite a hero (albeit a reluctant one!) It is good to meet him again in subsequent books.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Jed

Post by Jed »

I have to agree with you there, and he was quite rude to them at the beginning of the book (to be fair, they thought he was Fatty in disguise, and shouted after him "Fatty, we know it's you", and anyone would be annoyed at being called Fatty by random kids)

Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Despite the children getting off to a bad start, the Find-Outers did some things which they didn't consider the consequences (for Ern) first in The Mystery of the Hidden House. For instance when Fatty dressed up as Ern to go and interview Mr Holland. It struck me as if the children were taking advantage of him. However innocent this could seem, the children just didn't consider Ern's position. ie: What happens if they bump into Mr Goon? Which did happen!! :roll:
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think this is the reason I don't like 'Hidden House' very much. The best character is Ern...but the way he's treated is unfair and to be honest rather rude and condescending...I also feel the plot is a bit weak...don't like the underground garage thing - seems a bit far fetched to me. I'm really pleased that Ern had more chances to shine in other books, because he was a really likeable character.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Poppy wrote:What happens if they bump into Mr Goon? Which did happen!! :roll:
Well you should know, then! :wink:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Poppy wrote:What happens if they bump into Mr Goon? Which did happen!! :roll:
"CLEAR ORF". :lol: :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

:lol: :lol:
Moonraker wrote:Well you should know, then!
:D Well, yes, but why Fatty didn't consider this beforehand, I really don't know.

I didn't mind the undergound garage thing, Robert: it was a bit different to the recurring theme of robberies in this series (though it did cover that, briefly, too). But like you say, it was the children's unfair treatment of Ern.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I don't think an underground garage is any more far fetched than a certain mountain in Wales.....
Society Member